Alaska > Ice Fishing Alaska

Lake Whitefish Natural History, Behavior, Ecology, Biology Etc.

(1/1)

Bushwhack Jack:
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for some specific information about whitefish and specifically Lake Whitefish or Round whitefish that live in large Oligotrophic lakes around here. I'm having a really hard time finding information about things like where schools of whitefish congregate in lakes, what depths, what types of structure is best to look for? I'm not interested in finding round whitefish in the streams and I'm not asking for names and locations of whitefish. I can figure that out on my own. I am more interested in the biology of Lake Whitefish or at least the species of whitefish that primarily live in lakes up here. I am also more focused on what they do in the wintertime under the ice. Do they typically live in shallow water (0-20 ft depths), medium depths (20-40 ft depths), or deeper (40-100 ft+)? What types of structure should I be looking for? Points, islands, shoals, flats, drop-offs, inside turns, bays, inlets, outlets, saddles, horseshoe traps? Basically I want to know whatever there is to know about whitefish in lakes in the wintertime. Whatever you know and are willing to share please share. There's not a whole lot of information out there available.

kasilofchrisn:
My dad caught one on lake Louise last winter.
We were in 30-35 fow in s spot that we have done well on for Lakers in the spring.
This spot is sort of a trough I guess.
I was marking a lot of fish but couldn't connect using lake trout gear such as big white tube jigs and various spoons etc.
Then my dad hooked a whitefish.
I'm guessing the fish I was marking were most likely whitefish.
This year I'll bring some tackle to catch the whitefish as well.

Bushwhack Jack:

--- Quote from: kasilofchrisn on Dec 13, 2019, 12:22 PM ---My dad caught one on lake Louise last winter.
We were in 30-35 fow in s spot that we have done well on for Lakers in the spring.
This spot is sort of a trough I guess.
I was marking a lot of fish but couldn't connect using lake trout gear such as big white tube jigs and various spoons etc.
Then my dad hooked a whitefish.
I'm guessing the fish I was marking were most likely whitefish.
This year I'll bring some tackle to catch the whitefish as well.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, good to know

jacksmelt71:
here in Maine the whitefish are usually found in the same areas as lakers. we get them with a medium silver/ green pimple or large silver / blue hali jig tipped with a small piece of smelt or worm. we usually will drill a bunch of holes in a area and move around a lot until you find them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version