Author Topic: What does IceShanty mean to you?  (Read 5763 times)

grumpymoe

What does IceShanty mean to you?
« on: Feb 13, 2006, 09:03 PM »
another thread similar to others, but I thought I would throw this out again.......what has IceShanty.com meant to you when it comes to opening new doors to friendship and other parts of the fishing world?  Share your thoughts.....Grump

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
Re: What does IceShanty mean to you?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2006, 09:56 PM »
IceShanty opened up the world of electronics to me. I have an aqua-vu and a vex and without this site I wouldnt have even known what they were. I have also met alot of cool people here and have caught more fish than I could have ever caught without the tips from everyone.  :flex:

camo_fish

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:05 PM »
I won't have meet some of the great other shanty'ers here that have shined the light on ice fishing for me.  ;D I started out with tipups only and yea I caught fish and I still do with them. But, opening the door to jigging, electronics, power augers, and just sharing some great info with others. Don't know if I have any secrets left.  ;)  ;D Yea, Right!
And don't forget our sister sites. www.myfishfinder.com
This site has helped alot and have also meet with other fishing crazys  ;)
It's just a great site, the best that is, and a major addition.  8)

P.S.
And if your into hunting. www.myhuntingforum.com

Fish On!

Offline hardysf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:05 PM »
ice shanty to me is a place to go to escape my everyday life. School, work, my girlfriend. Just gets all the clutter out of my head.

camo_fish

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:06 PM »
Just gets all the clutter out of my head.
It fills my head with fishing clutter.  ;D  ::) yea something like that.  8)

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:15 PM »
Ive learned more on this site in a week than I could of from years of experience . Its a great way to find out info form people that have done it first hand . Also where you can share your experiences and troubles with others , and to show off those monster fish you catch  :D ,but I think the best part is meeting people that share the same interst as you do and to make some new friends .  :thumbsup:
Sax

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:43 PM »
Although my buddy and I have been ice fishing for more than 45 years, I think we've learned more in the last two years about new techniques, equipment, tackle,etc. than in all that time!!
But that's not what is most important to me about IS.  What I appreciate most is the great people I've met here, both online and in person on the ice!  Being from Long Island, NY, there are not that many ice fishing folks around, and it would have taken me another 45 years to meet the people I've met in just the last three years on IS.

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!!

THANKS

ICEBALLS  (Rodger)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:30 PM »
IceShanty to me is a great place where a person can laugh and share fishing info with a great bunch of people.
It also lets me chat with folks who share the same passon as I do about our fishing and the great outdoors. 
Thanks for the fun guys. ;D

WW

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2006, 04:45 AM »
iceshanty...what does it mean to me. oh my so many angles. the wife and i no longer fight over the TV lol im on here and shes watching lifetime network movies for women who love to hate men!!

friends and lots of them, lots of maine members whom i have become such good friends with in the last couple years, they are my regular weekend fishing buddies now! friends from all over the continent whom i may never meet, but hope to someday like on a fishing trip!! ;D 

you can tell by my stats that im hopelessly addicted, im on first thing when i wake up to the last thing before i go to bed and as much as possible inbetween.

i was like camo just popped my tipups in and wait till i found this place. jigging has taken on a new face for me. it used to be how i passed the time between flags. now i have a flasher and a much better understanding of the fish's behavior down there, truly amazing.

yessir screwdrivah brothah, i love this site and all my friends and the info we get as far as fishing and ice reports and what to use and when to use it, you cant help but become a better iceangler!!

LONG LIVE ICESHANTY!!

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2006, 05:52 AM »
I found this place by accident and love it
I learned more about ice fishing this year than I had in years
I too have become a jig fan something that I didn't do much
I've made friends that I never would have met
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline fisher50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2006, 05:52 AM »
Takes me from fishing alone, as my wife is not interested in fishing, to having friends to fish with.  I've met friends I would not have met, without the contacts here.  Makes for a more enjoyable fishing trip.
I enjoy that perfect peace -- that peace beyond all understanding, which comes at it's maximum, only to the man who has given up golf.

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2006, 07:48 AM »
Lots of good information, where, what, how etc. And all the
different opinions on just about any topic.

Offline YR bender

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2006, 07:51 AM »
It helps me gain knowledge about all kinds of fishing and kills time in between fishing.  Mike

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2006, 07:58 AM »
Lot's of good advice from experienced fishermen.
Great people who enjoy many of the same things as myself.
It's always nice to help out new people with my newly gained knowledge.
All in all it's an awesome place for great info and people ;D.

Robb :tipup:

Offline chilly feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bait?
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2006, 08:01 AM »
ice shanty rocks.
where else can you get good free
fishing info from great people you
can trust.

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2006, 08:01 AM »
I have learned quite a bit...as a few guys said they used to just drill holes and set their tippers and wait...no more of that boring ass crap..set em then jig! I have a vex and a half dozen jiggin poles of all sizes and quite a few fish to show for the short time I have morphed into a more versatile ice fisherman. I have learned to search for my fish more than waiting for them to come to me and that has made a big difference. I have met and fished with some outstanding people who share the same passion for the ice and outdoors as myself. At home, the shanty provides insight, humor, and escape from whatever else is going on. Most importantly, we all share the same love for the ice and are willing to spill our guts (well, most of us) to help fellow members, new and old,  be more successful when we are on the playing field.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2006, 08:03 AM »
Cyber phishing!!!

Oh yea!

Mac

Nice ;)

Anyways, How do you explain this site and all the things it can do and be? That's the beauty of this place, the people and information are second to none. Heck alot of the guys on this site are helping a couple others ( i won't name names ;) to save our lives by being a big help in motivating us to continue a quest to quit smoking. Hey, I don't get that much support from friends and family. Oh wait, that's what it feels like alot of the folks on here are...friends and family. Where else can you go and have people open up there tackle boxes, shanties, coolers, and even there homes to people they've never seen in person but would recognize from across the street from all the pics on here ;D?  So how do you explain a site like IceShanty? I guess you can't..you just have to come experience it for yourself

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2006, 09:00 AM »
I've laughed so hard it's brought tears to my eyes.  Thanks for all of the fun during
this iceseason with nothing much to laugh about.  You people are the best.  I've hit the hardwater with a passion my entire life and being able to compare notes with you all has let me know I'm not alone in my addiction.  I've raised daughters and while they know how to icefish I was never able to pass on all of my knowledge to them.  It makes my day when I can point some young person in the right direction so they can carry on a love of the outdoors and start out catching fish and avoid a lot of the trial and error that it took me to learn how to icefish.  Iceshanty has reconfirmed what I have always known.  Icefishermen and women are the greatest group of people in the world.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2006, 09:22 AM »
It's Home to the Brotherhood of Fishing... ;D   I have gained a wealth of knowledge about the fish we pursue.  My buddies aren't into fishing as much as I am, so now I have somewhere to go when I want to talk about is fishing.  I've met a few IS member and can't wait to have many more fishing trips whether it be on Hardwater or Soft.  Go Team Maine!!! ... :P
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline HOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2006, 10:30 AM »
I too found this site by accident.  ;D  I've learned need tips and new locations to icefish that I won't have if I hadn't come across this site.   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  Great bunch of like minded people, informative and friendly. I just can't stop harping about how great this site is to me buddies! This site rules over all others!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2006, 11:50 AM »
Ice shanty means alot to me.  Its a great place to meet people to fish, and also a great place to talk ice fishing. 

Gotta be carefull though, the dude I was fishing with last year has decided he is too good to fish with me anymore...I think he just fished with me to steal my spots actually :-\  Be careful guys.

Good thing I've met alot of other fishers on here that are True friends.  Thank you guys. :)

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2006, 11:58 AM »
I just happened to find this place by accident but I have met quite a few people and it is steadily becoming more of an addiction to me.  I think myfishfinder will be more addicting for me since I am a die hard open water fisherman.
      I am part of a couple fishing boards out in Washington state and those are getting to much into the advertising that is one thing I like about Ice Shanty is that it is simple !!!!!!!!!!

PIKEGUY

« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2006, 01:06 PM »
Ice shanty means alot to me.  Its a great place to meet people to fish, and also a great place to talk ice fishing. 

Gotta be carefull though, the dude I was fishing with last year has decided he is too good to fish with me anymore...I think he just fished with me to steal my spots actually :-\  Be careful guys.

Good thing I've met alot of other fishers on here that are True friends.  Thank you guys. :)

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Poor Red, got replaced by a job of all things. lol

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2006, 01:28 PM »
I for one am thrilled that I can be a part of this site. It has introduced me to people in my area that I know I can count on for real information, something that you can't get 99% of the time from the bait stores. Besides whats better than 1st hand knowledge from your buddy on the ice?

As a carry over, most of the guys that I've met on the ice will probably carry over to open water fishing, and as a fishing junkie its awsome to find more guys that can split the cost of bait and gas! LOL
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline Rockfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2006, 06:02 PM »
 ;D Plus unlike trying to get tips from a magazine its interactive where you can read the what and how of another guys technique and if you have questions, put 'em up and get 'em answered.  As much as I've learned from great mags. like InFisherman, I've learned so much more just bouncing around on this site...I even scan areas far away from me to learn skills for tackling species I have'nt got a shot at around here (eg. burbot) but hope to some day...

DeepcreekIcer, guess I'm lucky sometimes to be a  :cookoo: bachelor these days but I can relate.  My ex certainly gave me the  :%$#!: eveytime the subject of fishing even came up.

Rockfish

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2006, 06:22 PM »
This entire thread and every post hits home for me (except Big Reds, LOL, sorry dude!).  I think that I'm getting sentimental and gonna cry :'( ;D

If I had to say one more word, it's "Potential".  Huh?  Well, there are so many potential friends out there.  So many potential new places to fish (right Big Red? LOL...hey, I'd never do that to ya bud).  So many potential new things to try.  So many potential tips to learn...I could go on and on

Learn?  Heck yeah.  I learn something every day.  One thing you get here that you don't get anywhere else are the little tricks that nobody would ever put into a magazine, or 12,000 possible different interpretations of the same subject! :o

Friends?  I consider some of y'all with the best of my friends, and I haven't even officially met ya yet!

Scott, see what you have done to us all?  We all owe you a huge....

...THANK YOU!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2006, 06:35 PM »
I have learned a heck of a lot here. Searching the archives and asking questions, reading posts. Been a tremendous help. I am living abroad and it is nice to get some North American humor. (Swedes ZZZZZ) I have laughed a lot here.  ;D

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2006, 07:48 PM »
I too, found this website by accident, and have been addicted ever since(2.2 posts per day). To make matters worse, for every post Iv'e made, I think Iv'e looked at 20 more.  I think I have learned more in the 2 months Iv'e been on this site, than I have in my entire life!  Iv'e never met anyone on here yet...but you all seem like a really fun group.   Now, with all the emotion going through everyone's heads, I think it's time for a good ol fashion storry tellin...Nah, I think a poem should do...

I was sitting in my shanty with my coffie mug
starrin down the hole inbetween the dirty old rug
hoping for a bite
but all I got was a staring pike
then along came a giant 48" sucker,
who chased away the 12" pike.
I then screamed "holy, what a big expletive!"
I let the line down and put the hook under it's belly.
hoping to snag a spot where it's kinda jelly.
I pulled and pulled and pulled, hoping for a snag.
but it the end I had nothing to brag.
poor, poor, pitiful me,
God, why does this have to be?

My first of many poems.  They will get better, I promise.

rate 1...10?
fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2006, 09:58 PM »
it means less fly tieing to me!  :(

oh, yeah, and what everybody else said.  ;D ;D
why's it so addicting? ???

gair-z
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline HOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2006, 06:55 AM »
My first of many poems.  They will get better, I promise.

rate 1...10?

I'll give it an "8" keep'em coming!  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.