Author Topic: FROZEN FISH  (Read 1820 times)

Offline ANGLER

• IceShanty Rookie
FROZEN FISH
« on: Feb 21, 2005, 09:20 PM »

Hey.  i would like to know how long i can keep a perch frozen solid and still clean and eat them? ie.i come home late and they are frozen, they safe to leave over night and clean later?

thanks

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: FROZEN FISH
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2005, 09:35 PM »
Welcome to Iceshanty!
I take perch, put them in the freezer, and thaw them the next day, fillet and eat them, they are delicious.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2005, 10:14 PM »
 Keeping them over night is no problem at all, if they are frozen its really no different then them being alive and in the water, its jus harder to clean them if they are froze.
Jason

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2005, 10:49 PM »
I have kept Perch or other panfish for longer than I really care to admit in public, (and still had a good eat'in fish fry).

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline hardysf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2005, 10:52 PM »
i have about 330 fish frozen from this winter. Waiting til Apirl 8th to have a huge fish fry. Its all the same

Offline fishaholic1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rocks
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2005, 04:24 AM »
I always let em get almost froze before I clean em.There's less mess that way. I have put em in a freezer bag and froze them for days, before cleaning them. Nothing wrong with that either.
Ice Fishin Rock's!

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2005, 07:56 AM »
i always freeze mine and clean them the next day  :tipup:

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2005, 08:22 AM »
Most of the time I don't freeze them dofore cleaning I just put then in a cooler over night. If I'm fishing all weekend I don't clean till sunday evening. Also I always let them soak in clean water for a day or two after their cleaned before I freeze them.
     Jim

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2005, 08:53 AM »
ive never heard of soaking for a day before freezing wouldnt that make freezing to keep fish fresh pointless? would the fish still be good? :tipup:

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2005, 09:23 AM »
after a whole day of fishing,  they're all frozen anyways.  Just top off the bucket with snow and stick it in the snow bank for next day or day after that when you're ready to clean 'em. No harm done,  just fill up the bucket with water to thaw them out for an hour or so.

Offline ANGLER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2005, 03:21 PM »

Thanks for the welcome to Iceshanty.com and i appreciate all the responses.

Letting them stay frozen for a day or 2 will be a big help after a long day of dragging and walking on the ice.

Thanks again gang,

Angler

Rock Bottom

« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2005, 03:36 PM »
Im with slipbob on this one, if im gonna keep a fish the first thing I do is bleed it out after 10 mins or so I slab it right there on the ice and the slabs come in the shack and the remains in a bag and left outside, less work and mess at home later. wash fillets with cold water and freeze in a bag with water and no air.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.