Author Topic: how many do it right?  (Read 3290 times)

stumper1300

how many do it right?
« on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:28 AM »
How many of you actually warm up your auger before you rev the heck out of it?2 stroke engines need to be warmed up to prevent piston and cylinder damage.A good way to check if its ready is to feel the exhaust,when the exhaust is warm its ready to go.It blows my mind how many guys show up and start drilling full throttle the second it starts up.watched a guy lock up his new strikemaster the other day,he was ticked that a new auger would do that.I explained that not only was it not broke in,which made the clearences even closer,but he had "cold siezed "it cuz it wasnt warmed up.he said he never warmed up his other augers and they always lasted a couple years before he had to buy a new one,lol.my neigbors auger is at least 30 years old and still runs like new,never been apart.always warmed it up first.sorry so long but this really iritates me when i see guy do this.

stump

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: how many do it right?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2005, 11:49 AM »
I run mine for about 15 secs, then start poppin.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2005, 11:52 AM »
Before leaving the house in the morning I run it and warm it up, also when out on the ice I let it run for 2-3 mins. before drilling.

Offline icebigboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2005, 01:22 PM »
i have my auger for about 20 years and never wait to drill holes.fish can't wait.never had problem with my engine.at -20 it take long to warm up. ;)
don't be irritate by the other auger cause they'll paid. ;D

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2005, 02:34 PM »
I'm with Mongo: 2-3 mins.

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2005, 02:45 PM »
Cold siezures are the worst. I learned my lesson from racing motocross bikes. Those motors are similar and all 2 stroke motoos need to be warmed up before you put a load on the motor. You will only have more headaches in the future.
YOu can only get skunked so many times before you have to shower, Peeeeuuuuw

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2005, 03:50 PM »
  I sell and service outdoor power equipment. How long it takes to bring piston and cylinder up to temp. depends on outside temps. After all it is an air cooled engine. An older engine has more clearance worn in to it. The type of oil can have a factor too.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

stumper1300

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2005, 03:55 PM »
Thats why as a rule, i always wait till the exhaust feels warm.before drilling.

stump

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2005, 05:00 PM »

Not only that, I have seen more guys this year, drill, drill, drill, drill........like 5 minutes to get through 12 inches of ice....think maybe time for some new blades???

Mike
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2005, 05:19 PM »
I warm it up on the first hole! I just go easy on the first one.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2005, 05:26 PM »
I let it run for 10-20 seconds, then rev it a couple times, then I'm smokin' through the ice 8)
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

MikeThePike

« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2005, 07:23 PM »
I usually wait about 10-15 seconds before I start drilling. I'll start it up & just hit the gas lightly while keeping the blade above the ice. Will start drilling once it will rev w/o sounding like its going to stall.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2005, 08:28 PM »
im with you mike once it runs smooth its ready!! 2 hp tecumseh engine 18 yrs old rode hard and put away wet!!still fires right up!

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2005, 08:33 PM »
I let mine warm up for about a minute, two max then start drilling.  No different than a truck or a car.  You would not turn the key, put it in gear and peel rubber right away.  Kill that engine in no time.

bib brother

« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2005, 08:58 PM »
if the ice is thick i might stretch or do a few jumping jacks, but usually i just lean and crank

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2005, 02:43 AM »
I have never warmed my Jiffy longer than about 20 seconds before I start cutting. She is ten years old and still runs like a raped ape. I take the blade off once in a while and run a Lansky wet stone over it and its the only maintanance I have ever done.

IceTroll
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2005, 10:03 AM »
I always warm my Jiffy 8" Stealth up b/f using it.  Especially if it's been outside overnight during a fishing trip... Usually 30sec to a minute or so and she's ready to rock and roll...

I've definately noticed that it runs better and cuts a lot more efficiently when I've warmed it up.  If I don't - it sometimes gets boggy or wants to kill.  I might need to make a few adjustments too though, to get it 'tweaked' out good.  All in all - it's my first auger and I'm extremely pleased w/ how it runs....

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2005, 11:47 AM »
I'm hearin ya Big Brother, I pulled a groin mustle by not warming up first so now I run to my spot and start crankin :whistle:
        Jim

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2005, 12:51 PM »
Big Brother, If you would keep your auger in the cab under the heater you could jump out and start drilling. ::)

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline k9 guy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Work hard, play harder.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2005, 09:54 AM »
I'm hearin ya Big Brother, I pulled a groin mustle by not warming up first so now I run to my spot and start crankin :whistle:
 Jim
LOL very funn ;D ;D ;D ;Dy

Basshuntah

« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2005, 01:13 PM »
Seems like warming the engine before it drills you a bunch of holes is a good idea, with figid temps and thick ice that motor with be workin' hard, why not let her blood pumpin' for a minute, don't hurt much. treat her with the respect and all your holes will be done right for years to come.  ;D

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2005, 01:17 PM »
my wife has always told me i need to warm the engine before drilling but i prefer to just drill away the have a smoke  ;)2     wait are we still talking about fishing ???

Offline ice fishNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2005, 02:09 PM »
my wife has always told me i need to warm the engine before drilling but i prefer to just drill away the have a smoke  ;)2     wait are we still talking about fishing ???

Just make sure you mark your hole when you are done drilling!!  Got to hate them damn hole stealers.  ;D
fishNH @ MFF  huntNH @ MHF

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2005, 10:24 AM »
I run mine for about 15 secs, then start poppin.

I warm up my biceps, pectorals and deltoids by carrying my equipment out to the fishing spot, then can drill holes with my MORA without worrying that I will " blow a gasket "
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.