Author Topic: refilling 16 oz propane canisters  (Read 948 times)

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
refilling 16 oz propane canisters
« on: Feb 15, 2005, 02:32 PM »
Does anyone refill the small 16 oz propane canisters from a large tank?  I just got a fitting from Cabelas to do this, but unfortunately the directions on the back of the card that the fitting came on was destroyed.  Any info would be helpful.  I'm guessing you need to invert the source to get the LP into the small canister.  Other than that I'm clueless...
-IceGeek

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
Re: refilling 16 oz propane canisters
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2005, 02:48 PM »
Hey geek,

copy and paste the link below; there's been quite a discussion in the "Grumpy Old Farts" forum, or whatever it's called. I think most of your questions will be answered there. Good luck and be careful!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=4021.0
Gregg

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2005, 02:53 PM »
Be very careful with the 1 pound canisters.  These canisters are not heat tested and are not to be re-filled, but some people do re-fill them.  I do believe that one of the bottles has to be colder than the other to re-fill, but I forget which one. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2005, 03:22 PM »
The canisters are not to be refilled as clearly stated on the warning label. You put yourself and others at risk by doing this. Unless you find a refillable canister I would not by any means try this, too many variables involved. Refilling non-refillable gas cylinders is dangerous because the inelasticity of the metal concentrates stress and fatigues the metal. As well as the gas at factory is a dry gas where in the 20lb gas tanks for our grills contains some mositure which can rust and fatigue the bottle. Just my 2 cents

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2005, 03:59 PM »
I'm finishing my Ph.D. in semiconductor physics and work in an environment where we transfer materials between containers which are far more dangerous than LP in terms of both flammability and cryogenics. I'm not too worried about doing this, just wondered if the procedure was any different based on the vapor pressure of LP. thnaks to all who responded.
-IceGeek

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2005, 05:23 PM »
you have to turn your 20 pounder upside down then open the valve pressure will build in your 1 pounder get a pair of bent needle nose pliers pull out on the tiny check valve on the one pounder until liquid comes out. you will fill about 14 bottles out of one full 20. thats a dollar a tank cant beat the price

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.