Author Topic: How much time left?  (Read 3866 times)

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
How much time left?
« on: Feb 13, 2005, 10:47 PM »
We've had a few warm stretches and the ice is starting to thin. How much time do you guys have until your icefishing season is over? I've read a few guys on this board have waded out to get to ice. I'm not that bold. I think if we make it to the end of Walleye season, I'll be done.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: How much time left?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2005, 04:57 AM »
im guessing 5 weeks left here in southern maine hopefully the weather stay cold

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2005, 06:27 AM »
 Nothern Maine til the last day in MARCH  ;D
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2005, 08:39 AM »
In southern Manitoba we should be good till the general season closes at the end of March.  But if the ice holds, we can fish stocked trout ponds right up till open water.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2005, 08:53 AM »
On or about April 20 up here the ice gets a little iffy. I'm from north central BC, Canada.

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2005, 08:54 AM »
In central NH there should be smaller lakes that will be safe to fish til the last day in March ;D
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2005, 09:37 AM »
depending on the edges, i can usually find safe ice here in the capital district right up till april 1

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2005, 12:04 PM »
Latest I've been on the ice in my truck is April 29th, still walked out the 2nd week of May that year. It depends on temperatures, ice thickness, and snow cover. Shacks have to be off by April 30th, but some years you can't wait that long.

Offline icebigboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2005, 12:43 PM »
here,northern Quebec we have safe ice until the first of may depend of the years.the best of the season is mars and April.January and Feb is very slow.lucky to have late ice :D

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2005, 12:48 PM »
this is only my second year any info on how long we got in western ny :tipup:

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2005, 12:48 PM »
?

tricky dick

« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2005, 12:51 PM »
Here in Central New YorkIRochester) we usually fish until St, Patrick's day. Let's hope it lasts that long this season! Ice now is about 10 inches.  :)

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2005, 02:02 PM »
We still have 20 plus inches of ice on most lakes here in NE Wis. so we should be good to drive till early March unless we get rains and warm temps. :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline drjongy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2005, 02:12 PM »
About 30 inches of ice on Lake of the Woods...permanent houses cannot stay unattended on the ice after March 15, but should have good fishing for a month after that.

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2005, 02:28 PM »
It's extension time for the Jiffy. Ice won't be off til May but fishing season closes march 31st.
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

PIKEGUY

« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2005, 03:09 PM »
Lets see... I went through Saturday :o so that doesn't make me think we'll have much left, but that was a slough so hopefully through most of March

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2005, 07:23 PM »
have a little more that 3 feet of ice, usally good till april 10th.

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2005, 12:28 AM »
Rained all day here in WNY. Not looking good, but hopefully the cold nites will give us a few weeks yet.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2005, 08:51 AM »
Ice isn't good here. We just got an inch of rain Saturday. That just made things worse. Temp yest. 55. Temp today 62. We need to invent a machine to fast freeze a lake. Hey, the ski resorts can make fake snow. Why can't we make our own ice?  ;D

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2005, 08:58 AM »
wow 50's & 60's in feb. man thats gotta stinkthat makes for a short season sorry :tipup:

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2005, 09:12 AM »
It's over here in NW Indiana, that's Bullsh.., It's now time for coho and brown trout, c'mon south winds!!! Have a crappie day. Crappie Rob
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2005, 09:39 AM »
cityfishin - Just across the border we still have 18"-20" of good solid ice.  If those lakes are thawing over there come on over.  They should last quite awhile ;D

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2005, 10:58 PM »
I'm like Monophil in MB...general season will end before we have to worry about it...depending on the body of water, you likely need an extension on the auger right now.  Last week we had a couple days above freezing, but it is back to normal temps now.

For you guys that had late ice and early shut down, you need to plan a trip to the Canadian prairies / northern Ontario / northern Quebec so that you can have a decent season.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline keny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just poken holes
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2005, 10:56 PM »
be good until end of april unless we get a really warm spell 2ft of snow and 2ft of ice .Last year was over 3ft of ice but less snow I ice fished in june in a t-shirt.It was great no snow to wade out ,once you opened the holes you could come back every day for a week without even bringing the auger.What was really great was no one else was fishing and I could barely reach bottom of the ice with my arm.Yes it was warm enough out I reached down the hole.Catch was good too.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2005, 11:09 PM »
I'm like Monophil in MB...general season will end before we have to worry about it...depending on the body of water, you likely need an extension on the auger right now.  Last week we had a couple days above freezing, but it is back to normal temps now.

For you guys that had late ice and early shut down, you need to plan a trip to the Canadian prairies / northern Ontario / northern Quebec so that you can have a decent season.

Come on Thriller, your starting to sound like an Canadian easterner. They are always forgetting about us westerners. Northern BC has some great icefishing opportunities. I'm usually off local big lakes by mid April and can go up in the mountains and on ice till mid May.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2005, 11:22 AM »
With any luck here in central Mass. we still have a good 3-4 weeks left.

Offline Sluggo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On the ice it's twice as nice!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2005, 11:45 AM »
I'm in Eastern Ontario about 40 minutes fron Canada's capital Ottawa (that concludes todays geography lesson ;D)  We currently have close to 36" of ice, the gas auger is almost useless and will be if we get another 1-2" of ice. 

We will be fine through mid-late March. 

I guess it really doesn't matter though since most people quit fishing when walleye and norther pike season closes on Feb 28th.  The only species left open is perch, crappie and other panfish.  Also by law all ice shacks must be off the lakes no later than March 15 or the fine$ $tart pouring in.

Lombardy, Ontario, Canada

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2005, 12:36 PM »
Sluggo, 36" of ice, I am jealous

Bottom bouncer

« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2005, 12:51 PM »
Man I hope it's too early to think about this but what a weird year we had so far Geeeeeeez, Here in ND normally law says permanent houses have to be pulled off lake by March 15th each year. can still fish with them but can't be left on ice. I can remember fishing several good weeks after this but who knows this year. Still around 18" ice on lakes and highs only in the 20's all week so looks good. Not much snow on ground around here so won't get much runoff when it warms up , good thing and a bad thing. Our big lake has to be down 30-40' plus. Not good news. Hope we have another 5 or 6 weeks . And that fishing gets better soon , nearly getting skunked every trip last 4 times out. Could make you grumpy.        Huh Grump   

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2005, 01:12 PM »
Here in Northeast PA, should get at least 3 more weeks, hopefully 4, more cold coming in now. Northeast corridor lakes have 12 " yet.  But a lot of the lakes in southern PA. may be close to done from what I hear from other guys.
At least I have 3 more weeks without any nagging outside projects from the wife. LOL . :clap:
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.