Author Topic: Nils Master Hali jigs  (Read 5776 times)

Offline farmer ted

• IceShanty Rookie
Nils Master Hali jigs
« on: Nov 11, 2004, 06:58 AM »
Hello, for any one who has used them, what is your opion on hali jigs. How do you fish them ,color preferences , etc.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Re: Nils Master Hali jigs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2004, 07:39 AM »
Ted--I use them for smelt.  I stick to white, silver, gold, and orange with the single plain hook chain simply tipped with a grub of some sort for the most part.  I have a variety of sizes but the smallest one doesn't seem to work as well as the others.  I have picked up menominee with these as well too. 
Chris Raymond

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2004, 08:09 AM »
great perch jigs!  I use the perch/firetiger color, chartreuse glow.  I need to get a few more - when I do, they will be in silver, gold, and probably a glow color.  I like the small and medium sizes the best. 

Offline farmer ted

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2004, 10:49 AM »
Hello, Thanks for the info guys. I think I will get a few to try this season.

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2004, 11:33 AM »
The Master Hali is deadly on perch! I use the smallest size, my most productive pattern is the fire tiger/perch pattern. Ive done some experimenting, using 2 master hail different colors, same ice hole. Dropped each one down watching it on the Vexilar. The Perch pattern on always produced more fish than the other colors, but thats not to say that is the same on any body of water. Best bet, get a few in different colors/pattern. I find they work best tipping the hook with 3 spikes(maggots) i have also use piece of a minnow (tail!) with sucsess!

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2004, 01:15 PM »
have to agree, deady on perch, firetiger is my favorite

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2004, 02:28 PM »
I hook a whole small buckeye, or half of a large buckeye on a Hali and drop it down the hole.  They were a good Perch producer last year.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Fish Stick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2004, 04:27 PM »
Awesome jig for perch. The only thing that I don't like about them are the hooks.
They are made from a very fine wire, and I think that they can bend/break kind of
easily. Buy some extra dropper hooks(if you can find them).

Also, don't be afraid to try the larger sizes. I caught a lot of perch on the largest size
last season.
If your only tool is a hammer, all of your problems start looking like nails.

Offline Fingerlakes Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • She thinks my shanty's sexy
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2004, 06:27 PM »
They are great for fishing the deeper water.  Anything over 20 feet or so.  Try them on finicky perch, tip with a spike.  You get the best of both worlds, heavy, great attractor yet small meal on the business end.  They work great on the bays of Lake Ontario. :tipup:

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2004, 08:44 AM »
In addition to perch the Halis are great for tulibees and whitefish.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2004, 10:24 AM »
Are you guys talking about the Hali jigs with the chain  or the smaller Hali jigs that look like bugs? Hali jigs come in both styles.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2004, 11:10 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has substituted the hook on the end of the chain with anything else, like a nymph, dropper or anything?  Just curious...
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2004, 11:43 AM »
Essentially that lure really is just a dropper so to speak. they make a version now with acolored bead at the hook (can also buy the chains with those on the bottom. The chain comes off real easily (by hand not otherwise) but the hook has a chain link through the eye. I dont aggressive jigs these, just basically wave the jig up and down shortly and pause, until a perch comes in the Vexilar screen.If you really lift it hard the chain/hook has the tendacy to grab your fishing line. A tip that has worked well for me, is if you see a perch on the Flasher, but he dosnt want to inhale or take it of the bat, slowly real the Hali up, and dont stop! Lots of time theyll chase it and hit out of impulse.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2004, 11:45 AM »
Are you guys talking about the Hali jigs with the chain  or the smaller Hali jigs that look like bugs? Hali jigs come in both styles.

I assume we are talking about the ones with the dropper chain.

They also sell the chain and hook seperate. You can add the dropper to anything. I have read articles showing how to add a mono dropper and hook to everything from a spoon to a jigging rap. I have always meant to try but haven't gotten around to it. You can use a hook for the dropper or a small jig. Then the lure acts as a attractor like a flasher for salmon.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2004, 12:37 PM »
I believe what I have read says that you should keep the dropper to under 2"

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2004, 01:28 PM »
i have read that as well however have cought some of my biggest perch using a 6" dropper.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Fish-A-Holic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Winnebago and Lovin it
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2004, 02:46 PM »
I use the Hali jigs as well as the Northland Tackle rattle spoons for perch. I use a 10-12 inch drop line with a #10 short shank gold trout hook. I hook a half dead minnow on the drop line. I'll rattle the perch in, then lay the minnow on the bottom and wait for the perch to suck it in. I have watched the perch bite for 5 years on my camera and found this to be the best method with the perch are inactive. I use this method on Mille Lacs Lake in Minnesota and have showed it to a number of guides who now also use this technique. The big secret is a half dead minnow. They don't want it swimming around like nuts, but they don't want it dead either. Give er a squeeze and hook er thru the tail.
The Fish-A-Holic

Offline Fingerlakes Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • She thinks my shanty's sexy
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2004, 07:00 PM »
I was talking about the nes with the chain and hook but I have tried shrt mono droppers as well.  Just depends hoow finiky they are.  Go real light with the mono though.  2 lbs.  Definately have a couple rigged both ways when on Ontario or Erie bays though.  You can't miss them on a vex either >:(

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2004, 07:48 PM »
watch out for big pike on halis they'll break that stinking chain even on on 6lb test had a big one grab a genz worm last winter too , over 10lbs, fought it on 6lb test for a while and then straightend out the hook when i got him in the the hole!!
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2004, 05:53 PM »
I usually beef up the dropper if I'm fishing in waters with larger fish. Northland tackle makes a nice 12# dropper with either bronze or red,  single or treble hooks. If you tie your own make sure to stay short or you'll be tangled up alot.

P Gottshall

« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2004, 05:05 PM »
I've used the Hali's very successfully for 'gills too.  As I'm pretty cheap, & lose quite a few in the brush, I made a similar rig for pennies, that seemed to work just as well.  I'll try to describe.

I put a walleye-spinner on a clevis a couple inches above the hook, & double-wrap the line through a bead to hold it up.  As I jig, the spinner attracts the fish visually, just like a Hali.  This rig is easy to adjust too, leader-length, color, etc.

Just an idea from a tight-wad,
Paul

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2004, 08:12 AM »
I wonder if it might pay to use flourocarbon for the dropper?

P Gottshall

« Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2004, 08:47 PM »
Good idea.

Offline farmer ted

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2004, 09:20 PM »
Hello, just picked up a few at Gander mountain. They looked to have just about all the ice fishing stuff out. They had eskimo hand augers for 29.00.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.