New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1026174 times)

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #690 on: Jan 25, 2018, 01:11 PM »
Over the years I have read so much about fishing from barometer, to lures, to rods, to reels, to line ,to where the fish are, to where they are supposed to be,  that now I look back And realize the more I forget the more fish I catch.  Somewhere along the line I have learned that no one has told the fish any of this stuff. 

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #691 on: Jan 25, 2018, 01:41 PM »
Got my 3rd, it’s perch time I hope

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #692 on: Jan 25, 2018, 02:07 PM »
Way to go Bucket. Like your real time reports.

Offline Keebs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #693 on: Jan 25, 2018, 02:15 PM »
Anyone have recommendations for a good place to try out this weekend for walleye/perch? Haven't been out ice fishing in years and a buddy and I plan to head out this weekend. Also what is the ice thickness like currently?

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #694 on: Jan 25, 2018, 02:41 PM »
XC  I got a giggle out of that   that was good
 I'm just trying to come up with some type of strategy that makes sense.  the fish know what it is so why shouldn't we?

I have this special calendar with me at all times. It has the best days to fish highlighted in Blue. Come to think of it EVERY day is highlighted in Blue.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #695 on: Jan 25, 2018, 02:42 PM »
Anyone have recommendations for a good place to try out this weekend for walleye/perch? Haven't been out ice fishing in years and a buddy and I plan to head out this weekend. Also what is the ice thickness like currently?
A lot of tight lipped guys on here when it comes to location.   Try the Southeast end out at marker 109 or 111 you can access that area from either Lewis Point (get there early for parking) or Sylan Beach.  You can go a little further East of marker 111 to Messenger Shoal.  Been good out at this end lately.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #696 on: Jan 25, 2018, 03:03 PM »
How is the ice for snowmobiles? Is there any snow or crust for the scratchers to keep the sliders lubricated or snow for getting on/off the ice?
not good Bart.......bare ice

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #697 on: Jan 25, 2018, 03:09 PM »
fished north shore first time this year........out of apps.......tough for me until about 10:30, then game on for a while....got my eyes and a few perch.....dumped a pig at the hole......guess would be 24"+........ice is slick, saw a few guys popping clips on their sleds today.......lube lube lube.....good seein ya Freddy

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #698 on: Jan 25, 2018, 03:52 PM »
not good Bart.......bare ice

Thanks, hoping to get out next week...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline whalerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #699 on: Jan 25, 2018, 03:53 PM »
I check for moon phases, falling barometer, storm fronts, etc. I've found the best days to fish is when my wife will let me!!

Offline swampking89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishin rules!!!
« Reply #700 on: Jan 25, 2018, 04:06 PM »
Amen,brother!!

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #701 on: Jan 25, 2018, 04:31 PM »
How do you guys lube your sliders on glare ice?

I normally just take my time and keep my trips short.

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #702 on: Jan 25, 2018, 04:58 PM »
I have a buddy that uses windshield washer fluid mixed with dish soap to keep the slick and he never has a problem couple squirts every time he moves

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #703 on: Jan 25, 2018, 05:11 PM »
need some advice... I coming thru Sylvan Beach Sat AM between 6&7 on my way to Jewel. Is there any place near to stop for breakfast?    thanks

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #704 on: Jan 25, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Thanks PP.

Offline firstcast 2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #705 on: Jan 25, 2018, 05:17 PM »
Put scratchers on your snowmobile for riding on ice

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #706 on: Jan 25, 2018, 05:39 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

I fished out of Jewel today. I got into the eyes early. Problem is they were all cooky cutter 12 inchers. Not a keeper all day long. Good thing I set the tip downs up at least I got 6 nice fat Oneida perch. Yo Old Timer, you got to come back up here and show me where they are my friend, the keepers that is.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #707 on: Jan 25, 2018, 05:42 PM »
I have scratchers, but do not work great on glare ice. I am a little on the heavy side and all my gear ride on the sled, so I like to have at least some crusty stuff.
Crusty stuff...

I don't like to beat up my sled on the ride on/off the ice also. Probably going to leave somebody a nice sled when I kick the bucket!  :-\
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #708 on: Jan 25, 2018, 05:55 PM »
I have scratchers, but do not work great on glare ice. I am a little on the heavy side and all my gear ride on the sled, so I like to have at least some crusty stuff.
Crusty stuff...
(Image removed from quote.)

I don't like to beat up my sled on the ride on/off the ice also. Probably going to leave somebody a nice sled when I kick the bucket!  :-\
I hear you on that Bart...that sled and set up you have is awesome.
There are a couple of Oneida locations where you could off load your sled and gear very close to the ice , then go park vehicleand trailer.... and only a short sled drive out to some decent fishing.

Would a second set of scratchers make a difference? looks like you have room.... not sure ...just  some suggestions.
( I have the manual up and down spring style scratchers that were only, I think, $45 dollars a pair)
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #709 on: Jan 25, 2018, 06:02 PM »
Crusty stuff...
(Image removed from quote.)

Put me on the list after your son, Bart. lol

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #710 on: Jan 25, 2018, 06:25 PM »
Would a second set of scratchers make a difference? looks like you have room.... not sure ...just  some suggestions.
( I have the manual up and down spring style scratchers that were only, I think, $45 dollars a pair)

I have seen people have additional scratcher that is mounted on the skis, some a simple nut and bolt on the rear end to scratch the ice. As far as the spring style scratchers, they wouldn't last long with me, senility...
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #711 on: Jan 25, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Put me on the list after your son, Bart. lol

lol
  Keep America Godly...

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #712 on: Jan 25, 2018, 06:27 PM »
I've been keeping track of it some with my own fishing as well as posts on here, seems to be a few variables besides pressure. Sunny days vs overcast, snow fall, etc. Better days seemed to be from 30.1- 30.6 and dropping. Anything above that the fishing was slow but some still caught fish.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #713 on: Jan 25, 2018, 06:33 PM »
I have seen people have additional scratcher that is mounted on the skis, some a simple nut and bolt on the rear end to scratch the ice. As far as the spring style scratchers, they wouldn't last long with me, senility...
lol...tough getting old and forgetful!
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #714 on: Jan 25, 2018, 07:16 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

I fished out of Jewel today. I got into the eyes early. Problem is they were all cooky cutter 12 inchers. Not a keeper all day long. Good thing I set the tip downs up at least I got 6 nice fat Oneida perch. Yo Old Timer, you got to come back up here and show me where they are my friend, the keepers that is.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Boggey

I’ll try again come May....

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #715 on: Jan 25, 2018, 07:31 PM »
I have a buddy that uses windshield washer fluid mixed with dish soap to keep the slick and he never has a problem couple squirts every time he moves
Thanks for that tip.  I had a tough time today with the sliders.  My track actually locked up after 5 mile run, we had to tip the sled on its side and pry the track off.  Very glad my buddy had a pry bar with him, said he had to do it a few times himself. 
I have scratchers ready to install, just did not get around to it before today.  Definitely on the weekend agenda.  They will help, but the washer fluid and soap will too.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #716 on: Jan 25, 2018, 07:57 PM »
I had my track lock up on me way out midlake on Oneida a few years back. Had to walk a long ways to ask 2 guys fishing for help. They were awesome , friendly and willing to help me .
 We used my spud bar to free the track.......another good reason to carry a spud bar!!!

Glad everything worked out for you.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #717 on: Jan 26, 2018, 02:27 AM »

Once back in the 80s I froze up my sliders , nice learning curve , after that it has been a dish soap solution , a squirt now and then and go slow ,
  Far as this barometer thing and moon phase to me it doesn’t matter , I just play the fish cards I’m dealt 😉

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #718 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:55 AM »
Filet, I heard about the dish soap solution but have never tried it. Will it freeze up on a cold day?   I bought some real nice scratchers a few years ago but the Polaris 2 up trail I now own has no good place to install them. 

Offline Donogard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #719 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:40 AM »
Where are the fish on Oneida lake I have been out of Cleveland by large groups and no one is catching anything really

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.