New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1024717 times)

Offline firstcast 2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #510 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Good day on oneida today lots of lookers  me and my son managed 4 had a good time

Offline burningdownthehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #511 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:55 PM »
Will do, thanks for the info

North Bay, Lewis Point or Shackelton Shoals for walleye, SE of the main islands if you're into perch

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #512 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:38 PM »
North Bay, Lewis Point or Shackelton Shoals for walleye, SE of the main islands if you're into perch

Much appreciated, thanks!

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #513 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Tried to launch at Chapman and got eaten by the slush Saturday morning  for three hours.  Oh yea, and a sled works better with the parking break off.  Just sayin.   ::)  Dried off then hit Lewis for the afternoon.  Got perch and eyes on Swedish Pimples and Moonshine jigging raps. Tipped with minnows or perch eyes.  Lesson two, slush and snowmobile tracks are not friends. Get that stuff out of there in a hurry or you are going no where.  Sunday started with a bang.  Literally. I left my 20# tank hooked up to the Buddy Heater like I always do.  Opened cover off the clam shelter and smelled gas.  Huh.  Just leaned right in and pushed the start button on the heater as I thought to myself, I smell gas.  BLUE flame engulfs me in a large fire ball! Lesson three, turn off tank when not in use. That's ok.  My friend's heater flashed while he had it on his lap! That will get your attention.  Same lures produced for us all day. Jig jig jig, repeat.  Best lure of the day? A small black hair jig I use for steelhead tipped with a minnow.  Got my biggest eye on it.  I used to use a black and white hair jig with a red head when I fished Onieda as a kid.  Brought back memories.  Madison Bistro Farm to Table Restaurant in Wampsville has a slammin burger.  Smoked brisket was good as well. Highly recommend it.  A great weekend with friends.
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline dog4up7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #514 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:50 PM »
Nice report "Z" glad you lived to tell it. Nice detail on lures will help when I am up there. Thanks

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #515 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Holy Cow Zad, you better take up Golf! It doesn't involve Sleds, Slush or Propane. Your lucky that the tank didn't catch fire!!

Offline beachshanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #516 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:36 PM »
Tried to launch at Chapman and got eaten by the slush Saturday morning  for three hours.  Oh yea, and a sled works better with the parking break off.  Just sayin.   ::)  Dried off then hit Lewis for the afternoon.  Got perch and eyes on Swedish Pimples and Moonshine jigging raps. Tipped with minnows or perch eyes.  Lesson two, slush and snowmobile tracks are not friends. Get that stuff out of there in a hurry or you are going no where.  Sunday started with a bang.  Literally. I left my 20# tank hooked up to the Buddy Heater like I always do.  Opened cover off the clam shelter and smelled gas.  Huh.  Just leaned right in and pushed the start button on the heater as I thought to myself, I smell gas.  BLUE flame engulfs me in a large fire ball! Lesson three, turn off tank when not in use. That's ok.  My friend's heater flashed while he had it on his lap! That will get your attention.  Same lures produced for us all day. Jig jig jig, repeat.  Best lure of the day? A small black hair jig I use for steelhead tipped with a minnow.  Got my biggest eye on it.  I used to use a black and white hair jig with a red head when I fished Onieda as a kid.  Brought back memories.  Madison Bistro Farm to Table Restaurant in Wampsville has a slammin burger.  Smoked brisket was good as well. Highly recommend it.  A great weekend with friends.
[/quote oh my gosh. Great report. Glad you ate okay and that i'm not the only clumsy fisher out there...

Offline Hondo419

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #517 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:00 AM »
Just a quick question before I take the two hour drive tomorrow to Oneida.  Is the launch on Bush Road accessible this time of the year to access the lake near Shackleton?

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #518 on: Jan 17, 2018, 09:03 AM »
Just a quick question before I take the two hour drive tomorrow to Oneida.  Is the launch on Bush Road accessible this time of the year to access the lake near Shackleton?

That is the south shore State boat launch. It should be open.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #519 on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:58 PM »
Got out for the last couple hours before dark this evening. The drag was better than I thought it would be. Got out to about 23 feet of water. Ended up with 3 keeper eyes and one lonely perch. Dumped a few more and lost one beauty of an eye at the hole!  Marked quite a few fish while time I was there. Water was stained but not chocolate milk. Got lucky tonight and sat right on top of them for the short time I was out there.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #520 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:03 PM »
Good deal Bobby.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #521 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:24 PM »
Nice! Sounds like a fun couple of hours.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #522 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:36 PM »
Good work Snoop! :afro: :afro:
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Hondo419

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #523 on: Jan 17, 2018, 09:18 PM »
Thank you Reeleyz.    Good to go for tomorrow

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #524 on: Jan 18, 2018, 12:49 AM »
Well Done bobby

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #525 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:10 AM »
Thanks guys. Trying to get my clutch fixed on my sled so I can get around a little better. Looks like a lot of that rough ice has smoothed out from the last thaw
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #526 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:58 AM »
 :thumbsup: :icefish: Nice little fishing trip Bobbby DeadEyez
hate when a big one gets away grrrrrrr :'(
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #527 on: Jan 18, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Hello guys,  Im looking to take my wife and 10 year old nephew on saturday. Just wondering the best lot to park with trailer to get on east end of shackelton.  usually park at chapman but wasnt sure what the cracks and ridges are like this year.  Doesnt matter if north or south shore.  Also What is ice thickness like out there? We went out of taft 2 weeks ago and had 14 inches just want safe for them. Thanks for your help

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #528 on: Jan 18, 2018, 12:16 PM »
South shore state launch has lots of room,,,,,, ice is about the same

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #529 on: Jan 18, 2018, 01:23 PM »
South shore state launch has lots of room,,,,,, ice is about the same
thank you

Offline wild1ce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #530 on: Jan 18, 2018, 03:26 PM »
How’s the slush and snow situation around the n. Shore ? Any wheelers getting around ok?

Offline robinhoodsucci

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #531 on: Jan 18, 2018, 04:03 PM »
Was in Johnson bay / 3 mile area 18 ft on a sled no slush in those two bays I was riding close to shore to, did see one wheeler out there no problem, ice is 12 inches every where I drilled, saw one guy by bank Constantia! 3 jewell looked good there for walkin to fishin was slow!

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #532 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:06 PM »
Thanks guys. Trying to get my clutch fixed on my sled so I can get around a little better. Looks like a lot of that rough ice has smoothed out from the last thaw

Night and day difference from 2 weeks ago to this past weekend

Offline kmanz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #533 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:41 AM »
Thinking about trying Onieda this weekend for the first time. Been fishing Sodus but I want something different. Going to have to get bait at the East end in Sylvan. I wondering if anyone has any info on if they think the Lewis Point or North Side would be better fishing ??  Access and safe ice out too 25 ' ????  Any help would be appreciated.
Love the peace ice fishing brings

Offline TeamWalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #534 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:49 AM »
Brought the Smitty last weekend. Will I need it again this weekend? Thanks and tight lines all.

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #535 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Brought the Smitty last weekend. Will I need it again this weekend? Thanks and tight lines all.
I would say yes. This snow that's on here isn't going anywhere unless we get a lot of wind or a nice melt.

Offline hot_spot18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #536 on: Jan 19, 2018, 12:18 PM »
Thinking about trying Onieda this weekend for the first time. Been fishing Sodus but I want something different. Going to have to get bait at the East end in Sylvan. I wondering if anyone has any info on if they think the Lewis Point or North Side would be better fishing ??  Access and safe ice out too 25 ' ????  Any help would be appreciated.

Ice was a good 8-12 inches over 35-40 ft. out of Chapman last weekend, and we haven't had any conditions that would make me think the ice has done anything but grown since then.  Caught a mix of eyes and really nice perch.  A buddy of mine caught some burbot as well there.  half a minnow and a pimple or jigging rap.  Shackleton, Lewis, or Sylvan your likely to get into them pretty good.   

Offline hot_spot18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #537 on: Jan 19, 2018, 12:30 PM »
Just an FYI I thought maybe some locals on here would be interested to know that there is a BANFF Mountain Film Festival coming to North Syracuse which I thought was pretty exciting.  It'll be nice to not have to drive to Rochester this year for it! 

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #538 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:00 PM »
If you're at BIG BAY and lost a blue pair of scott gloves, I put it on the mail boxes at the access trail head by the bar.

Offline swampking89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishin rules!!!
« Reply #539 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:35 PM »
Is the access atBB doable? Heard it was a gusher coming out of the drain!!thx.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.