New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1027820 times)

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #240 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:18 PM »
Awesome Bruce. I can't wait for a few more years to get my lil guy out.  He is 2 and already saying daddy I wanna catch the big fish through the ice.  Lol

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #241 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:19 PM »
  you got over a foot of ice yet?
[/quote]
Only at the beach...no perch there but plenty of short eyes.
Any body heading out of Mill St there is an pressure crack that opened but was hidden by fresh snow. My spud found it. The crack runs north to south.
Lots of machines out . I was sitting on a solid 6"+...

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #242 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:27 PM »
reeleyz   great  job  for   both you  and  the little  big guy  ...nice picture too  :thumbsup:

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #243 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Making my first trip to Oneida trying to get some of the basics down ,jigging rapalas ?  minnow heads ?   not looking for all the secrets ,guys work hard for them ,just don't want to go blind ,driving up from buffalo

Best odds for putting fish on the ice is a #5 jigging rap with a buckeye head on the treble, jigged fairly aggressively. Everything has it's time, but day in and day out that will get it done.

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #244 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:39 PM »
My daughter and I made our first trip up this afternoon and had about an hour flurry of shorts and this keeper, we also dumped 3 at the hole #*%*! Oh well it was fun just the same. We have a little contest each yr to see who lands the most keepers and so far the totals are... Walleye Bob 1, Moose 1, Specs and  Hondo....0!

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #245 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:22 PM »
I went out of Lewis Point yesterday with a buddy.  Started out in 18 FOW to the west of the point.  We didn't mark much.  Ice ranged from 6-8" every place we cut holes.  Ice was very jagged, but walking was easy.  We moved east off the point in 27 FOW.  Fishing picked up, several times the screen on my buddies Garmin lit up with fish.  Some guys were out on four wheelers and snowmobiles.  In my opinion, it is still early to venture out with them due to ice thickness variance.  Got to use my Christmas present from my wife, a new K drill.  Unit works really well, it's going to make life a lot easier this year.  We had to work for them.  Ended up with 2 Walleye and 7 Perch.  Great to get out!

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #246 on: Jan 01, 2018, 09:31 PM »
Dropping my kid off at Oswego in a coupe weeks and was wondering if some could give me some info on the lake. Not looking for secret spots just access points.

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #247 on: Jan 01, 2018, 09:56 PM »
Awesome Bruce doesn't get any better than that

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #248 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:08 PM »
Good job everyone sounds like we will have a nice long season this year. I hope to get out this week.
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline crappiekiller315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • THATS HOW I ROLL SUCKA'S
« Reply #249 on: Jan 02, 2018, 02:44 AM »
Hi I'm new here  ::) ::)
why is it everytime i start catchin fish a GREMLIN pop's up in my hole

Offline Hondo419

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #250 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:42 AM »
New guy here to the Oneida Lake thread.  I am looking for an access point/parking on the East end of the lake, any help will be appreciated.  I really do not want to drive 2 hours and search for an access point first thing in the morning..Thanks

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #251 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:46 AM »
The beach at east end is a good start lots of parking and easy to find

Offline mbald123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #252 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:13 AM »
guys doing good on the walleye.. have they been hitting jigs tipped with minnow or spikes or does it not seem to matter much  ?

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #253 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:27 AM »
guys doing good on the walleye.. have they been hitting jigs tipped with minnow or spikes or does it not seem to matter much  ?

The usuals. Jigging raps, flutter spoons, rattle spoons, heavy metal spoons, all tipped with buckeye head, and rattle/vibe baits. I've gotten a number of fish on all of them so far. Just seems to matter at an given time which ones they want to eat or just look at. Also on which ones just slam shorts and which ones get the keepers. I usually get lots of shorts on flutter spoons, the other night was the complete opposite. Couldn't keep the shorts off the rattle spoons and rattle baits but was getting real nice fish on the flutter spoons and raps.

Offline schenkieboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #254 on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:41 PM »
Where are perch located on Southside first time going out I'm looking for perch and walleye mostly perch though anybody know a good location

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #255 on: Jan 02, 2018, 01:23 PM »
Going off sylvan on Thursday, never fished this lake before. How far do I need to go out to get into them and are there any bait shops around that area.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #256 on: Jan 02, 2018, 03:50 PM »
Going off sylvan on Thursday, never fished this lake before. How far do I need to go out to get into them and are there any bait shops around that area.

Right in Sylvan Beach is East End bait and tackle.  The Oneida regulars would know other places but that's the closest one I know of from fishing there in the summer. 

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #257 on: Jan 02, 2018, 03:55 PM »
Apps bait shop in Cleveland on Rt 49 north shore middle of the lake they have everything that work on the lake and if u hang out a bit u might hear some chatter on good bites around the lake only bait shop I go to

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #258 on: Jan 02, 2018, 03:57 PM »

Offline schenkieboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #259 on: Jan 02, 2018, 04:29 PM »
Where's the better place to catch perch on oneida lake off Sylvan Beach or Lewis point and how deep of water

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #260 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:56 PM »
Apps bait shop in Cleveland on Rt 49 north shore middle of the lake they have everything that work on the lake and if u hang out a bit u might hear some chatter on good bites around the lake only bait shop I go to
If one leaves PBR’S in the bait tank.. you may get all the info you want!! 😁
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #261 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:27 PM »
Oh yeah,I've seen a few PBR tall boys in there.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #262 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:44 PM »
Oh yeah,I've seen a few PBR tall boys in there.
I’ve left some there in the past.... but, I did not consume any......😇🙄
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline craigski1980

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #263 on: Jan 02, 2018, 08:29 PM »
I am looking for suggestions on a location I can get a buddy of mine out on the ice. He is very limited mobility wise so closer is better. He has never iced a walleye before so any help is appreciated. Steep hills are no good and jumping pressure cracks is out. I know it is a lot to ask so thank you in advance.

Offline Growler_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #264 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:38 PM »
I am looking for suggestions on a location I can get a buddy of mine out on the ice. He is very limited mobility wise so closer is better. He has never iced a walleye before so any help is appreciated. Steep hills are no good and jumping pressure cracks is out. I know it is a lot to ask so thank you in advance.

I live on the lake and last year I tore my meniscus and had to have knee surgery I walked out of Lewis point because my normal spots were too far to walk and the ice was crap for a sled, I found the walk doable. It's about 500 yards from parking to deeper water, iirc. Hope that helps.

Offline chubrock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #265 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:38 PM »
Has anyone fished out of Williams Park at all. Any fish? How is the ice?
Bait it. Jig it. Hook it.

Offline Mytjason

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #266 on: Jan 03, 2018, 02:37 AM »
Can any one recommend a rod set up to catch perch and walleye on same set up.  light enough for perch but still stand a chance of landing a walleye with out breaking? Thanks

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #267 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:37 AM »
Heading to Sodus in a few hours after work to sight in my jigging rods for Oneida next week when my real season begins

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #268 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:05 AM »
Can any one recommend a rod set up to catch perch and walleye on same set up.  light enough for perch but still stand a chance of landing a walleye with out breaking? Thanks
A solid fiberglass rod will do it.  I use a very light solid noodle rod at Lake George and it works great for perch with small tungsten jigs and will still handle the occasional laker.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #269 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:17 AM »
Yes east shore bait and tackle on 13 in sylvan beach 315-418-6238 , owners name is Ben

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.