Author Topic: need help with night fishing  (Read 3340 times)

Offline wfdiv9pt135

• IceShanty Rookie
need help with night fishing
« on: Feb 18, 2014, 03:05 PM »
I've never fished at night for crappies.  Can anyone give me some pointers? What is lighting up the ice? And does the aqua vu lights help? Any information would be great

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
Re: need help with night fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2014, 04:40 PM »
no aqua veiw....flasher.lanter n in front of you to avoid shadows(the lantern is for you...not the fish)if the lake aint clear...dont fish at night...glow...glow... glow...plastics that flutter,minnows,waxies,nuggets...the more different baits/jigs you have the better...catch mine at night in 10-12 ft of water...crappie bite around the 5-8 ft range..light tackle...and be patient,night time is different. :)good luck..i have been doing this for a few years and am now starting to be quite successful...try what feels right and swith baits and presentations...what comes out at night is usually larger than daylight.
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline wfdiv9pt135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2014, 04:50 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2014, 11:31 PM »
I have been having a great time catching crappies and perch after dark this year. This is my first year fishing after dark since I got a groundblind and buddy heater this summer. I have had good luck with the custom jigs and spins vertical demon jigs. They glow really well. Much brighter than most of my jigs. It seems like I started doing a lot better for crappie after I started threading a finesse glow plastic on the hook. I tip them with a small piece of meal worm. I use a spotlight for a quick 5 second charge on my jig every time I bring it out of the water to bring in a fish or just check my bait. I would say I recharge my jig at least every 5 minutes. During the day I usually drill a lot of holes and run and gun but at night I stay put for the most part. I get setup in an area that I hope they are going to move into to feed. If they aren't there or aren't biting I leave everything setup and head home for a couple hours then go back and try it again. I only live 5 minutes from the lake though so heading home isn't a big deal. Also I believe that sonar is key for crappies especially at night. The most important piece of equipment for night fishing in my opinion is a portable shanty (in my case a groundblind) and a heater. It allows me to fish comfortably and I am much more patient. I can easily switch jigs/baits without fighting the cold.

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2014, 12:28 PM »
I have been having a great time catching crappies and perch after dark this year. This is my first year fishing after dark since I got a groundblind and buddy heater this summer. I have had good luck with the custom jigs and spins vertical demon jigs. They glow really well. Much brighter than most of my jigs. It seems like I started doing a lot better for crappie after I started threading a finesse glow plastic on the hook. I tip them with a small piece of meal worm. I use a spotlight for a quick 5 second charge on my jig every time I bring it out of the water to bring in a fish or just check my bait. I would say I recharge my jig at least every 5 minutes. During the day I usually drill a lot of holes and run and gun but at night I stay put for the most part. I get setup in an area that I hope they are going to move into to feed. If they aren't there or aren't biting I leave everything setup and head home for a couple hours then go back and try it again. I only live 5 minutes from the lake though so heading home isn't a big deal. Also I believe that sonar is key for crappies especially at night. The most important piece of equipment for night fishing in my opinion is a portable shanty (in my case a groundblind) and a heater. It allows me to fish comfortably and I am much more patient. I can easily switch jigs/baits without fighting the cold.
x2...comfort is key at night..and i also stay put when out at night...once in awhile ill move,but pretty much stay put...goin out tonite to try the light trick...nothin else is working.. ::)
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:28 AM »
Find some info on charging glo jigs...all colors have different time lengths for staying "glo." 5min every time, seems excessive, and you're prob missing out on aggressive fish while charging. It's important to stay on the active bite.maybe that's when the crappie of a life time cruises thru yer set.good luck.
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2014, 10:09 AM »
Tip downs!!!   

Offline wfdiv9pt135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2014, 04:37 PM »
Been using them for 2 years? . Love them. Surprised it hasn't caught on everyone uses tip ups. People are always. Currois to what they are.

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2014, 05:25 AM »
glow red plastic baits is what I use

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.