The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: nobody really cares about fish  (Read 8000 times)

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
nobody really cares about fish
« on: Feb 20, 2020, 10:04 PM »
if we did...we can have cameras...sonars..maki ng everything so easy to catch em...my god..if we had drones flying around our elk/deer spots...yes .. I get it..they are "just" fish...and I do agree as a mammal..i have a bit more compassion for mammals..but the ease and technology to harvest fish is disturbing...once again..you couldn't have these technologies to hunt deer/elk....it should alarm people how current technologies are making the ease of catching fish..and we know..with social media and general fishing practices..it could have serious implications in the upcoming years...once again....fish are not really looked at as important as the mammal species....its really kinda crazy and has big implications for future generations...dropping a camera down and harvesting an animal? just doesn't seem fair..right..or ethical...

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
Re: nobody really cares about fish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2020, 10:47 PM »
I’ll take every advantage I can. We’re still in their world and the fish still make the rules.  Sonar is real time.   Jigs are made to look like something they eat. Bait makes it smell good, fluorocarbon lines are invisible. Rods are more sensitive. Augers are lighter, faster and quieter. Binos help us see. Scopes zoom in closer to our game. Clothes are lighter and warmer.
We all use this technology, and I for one appreciate it and use it.
Fishing is a blood sport. If we really cared about the fish, we either wouldn’t fish or we would never release them to only get hooked again.
Just my 2 cents

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2020, 11:08 PM »
Missing the point...but in some ways I hear your spiel...not arguing what you say....just saying the technologies we use to catch fish is beyond what would be acceptable with other species...when is enough...???not disregarding anything you brought up.... you brought up things I got no issue with....there is an extreme beyond the logical that you stated....

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2020, 11:24 PM »
CCC is getting it. I fn hate social media hunting and fishing. It’s not fair chase and it’s slowing going to ruin the sport for future generations

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2020, 09:27 PM »
Chris, has to read it again and get what you meant

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2020, 09:44 PM »
Man has always used technology to improve success..... It's not just fishermen.  Hunters do use cameras all the time.  Look at the technological growth in the farming industry.  The food you get from a super market was highly engineered. Engineered for maximum germination, to be disease resistant and to maximize harvest.  This is no different then when a rifled barrel musket and Minie ball changed the American Revolution. 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2020, 09:54 PM »
Not being very observant if you don't see the changes in other outdoor sports and are just aiming at fishing. How about the advancements in compound bow, long range rifles and scopes, game cameras, scent lures, Bigger and faster boats, wave boards and boats, fish locators, moving waterfowl decoys, much improved fly rods and lines, etc, etc. Best concentrate on things that REALLY hurt our sports like poachers, bucket biologists, invasive species, feral hogs, slob fishermen who leave trash all over, CWD, anti gun ownership groups, PETA, Blue Tongue, baiting deer, and on, and on. Ethics include obeying the laws  legal pursuit. and respecting the legal rights of other sportsmen and sportswomen to continue acvtiities within the framework of the current laws, Right?

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2020, 10:43 PM »
I’m not talking about material things like a freakin compound bow (long range hunting is unethical and is for people who can’t get close enough) I’m talking about industrializing hunting and fishing. Guiding, the internet, trophy hunting it’s gonna ruin the state and turn it into the Midwest or worse and it’s bringing way to many disrespectful people here

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2020, 11:13 PM »
To each his own is my belief. As long as a person is in possession of a legal fishing license, you are good to go.
I also use whatever latest and greatest gadget. That is my progative.
But to say that makes me not care about the fish, I feel is pretty irresponsible.
I would guess that 95% of the fish that I catch are returned to be caught another day.  :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2020, 12:09 AM »
Missing the point...but in some ways I hear your spiel...not arguing what you say....just saying the technologies we use to catch fish is beyond what would be acceptable with other species...when is enough...???not disregarding anything you brought up.... you brought up things I got no issue with....there is an extreme beyond the logical that you stated....

Then what is your point? How is dropping a camera down a hole any different than screwing one to a tree? It’s 2020, real-time game cameras are a thing. Population to harvest ratios are also a thing. How many fish that are caught are harvested compared to how many mammals that are shot?... Population recovery is also a thing and it happens much quicker with most fish than it does with most mammals. Hence, why I can keep 25 bluegill every outing and only shoot one buck every 365 days. Because, they’re aren’t thousands of whitetail on my property and I highly doubt there is on yours either. I bet there’s a whole bunch of fish though. If you can’t find them, it’s probably due to you not having the means to do so.................... ..............
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2020, 10:01 AM »
Then what is your point? How is dropping a camera down a hole any different than screwing one to a tree? It’s 2020, real-time game cameras are a thing. Population to harvest ratios are also a thing. How many fish that are caught are harvested compared to how many mammals that are shot?... Population recovery is also a thing and it happens much quicker with most fish than it does with most mammals. Hence, why I can keep 25 bluegill every outing and only shoot one buck every 365 days. Because, they’re aren’t thousands of whitetail on my property and I highly doubt there is on yours either. I bet there’s a whole bunch of fish though. If you can’t find them, it’s probably due to you not having the means to do so.................... ..............
Not here....real time cameras cant be used during hunting season in MT.
Dont ask

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2020, 01:44 PM »
Your sonar can tell you where fish are but it cant make them bite.is sonar all that diffrent from grunting or rattling for deer?for that matter what about scents? We use tech.to our advantage when ever we go out into the field.i dont know many people who where buckskin and use a flint tip arrow. We ware the latest gear best boots ,hand warmers and gloves.it s all realitive.i for one am not going to bust a hole in ice with asharp rock so i can use a line made of cordage with a bone hook to prove i like and respect the fish im after.just my 2 cents.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2020, 06:25 PM »
believe it or not...every once in awhile I hear something from pp..and I not only agree with it..but.. I got no problem at all with it...once in awhile mind you....
to clarify....its just about how easy it is becoming to catch fish....and...besides gross numbers..there really isn't anyone helping the fish....looking at the technologies that is so easy to catch em land locked....with everyone using technologies...its happening fast.....by the time the undergrads doing their research for the state?...its gonna be a little late....the limits are usually adjusted 2 years after the overfishing....so..poi nt being..how is easy catching..drone..and social media ?..gonna give our ecosystems time to recover? when its gonna take at least 2..if not more...for our biologist to catch up...assuming one respected their opinion in the first point...

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2020, 06:42 PM »
this winter pressure on our fisheries..is UNPRECIDENTED.....this aint minnesoda….

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2020, 07:42 AM »
sonar ? trail cameras ? what ever happened to the fun of the chase.depending on ones skill is more rewarding.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2020, 07:46 AM »
this winter pressure on our fisheries..is UNPRECIDENTED.....this aint minnesoda….

But your population is much smaller as well. Minnesota has 5 times more people than Montana.

We probably are more strict on out limits and fishing regulations than Montana as well.  Only 2 lines total in the winter, a single line in summer.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:16 AM »
"nobody really cares about fish"    Really?  My state has fish hatcheries where they spend all kinds of resources to net spawning fish, collect and hatch those eggs.  The fry are then raised and released as fingerlings back into the lakes and rivers throughout the state.

I don't see this done for (as example) the deer in our state.  Don't see them stocking squirrels or rabbits either.    So,,,,,,,, I don't see that fish are treated with less respect than any other game animal we pursue.

As far as camera use,  it is pretty common to use binoculars and/or a scope to assist our vision.  We use an underwater camera to assist our vision underwater.  Should we not allow binoculars or scopes on our guns during hunting season?  Cameras underwater allow us to see, would you hunt on land while blindfolded?
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:54 AM »
OP seems to have little experience with using cameras and electronics to me no offense intended, but honestly very rarely can you just drop a camera down a hole and start harvesting fish half the time the camera will spook the fish when it's free falling, on many occasions have I watched other guys out there jigging in front of there sonar, most the time I'm watching these guys walk off the ice with similar catch's or none at all, granted sonar seems to be alot more effective for targeting panfish,bass,walleye maybe than it is for trout which is the preferred gamefish in my state the more active trout are far more mobile around the lake, ive seen some guys kill it with sonar as well and they are usually Targeting panfish again,  I would completely agree with the OP about social media, I've noticed that you watch any ice fishing YouTuber and they will straight out say YOU NEED A FLASHER TO ICEFISH (probably has alot more to do with sponsors)which I completely disagree with I've had a killer season so far all with no help from sonar, I do use a camera to scout structure though  >:D :nono: :nono:

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:01 AM »
OP seems to have little experience with using cameras and electronics to me no offense intended, but honestly very rarely can you just drop a camera down a hole and start harvesting fish half the time the camera will spook the fish when it's free falling, on many occasions have I watched other guys out there jigging in front of there sonar, most the time I'm watching these guys walk off the ice with similar catch's or none at all, granted sonar seems to be alot more effective for targeting panfish,bass,walleye maybe than it is for trout which is the preferred gamefish in my state the more active trout are far more mobile around the lake, ive seen some guys kill it with sonar as well and they are usually Targeting panfish again,  I would completely agree with the OP about social media, I've noticed that you watch any ice fishing YouTuber and they will straight out say YOU NEED A FLASHER TO ICEFISH (probably has alot more to do with sponsors)which I completely disagree with I've had a killer season so far all with no help from sonar, I do use a camera to scout structure though  >:D :nono: :nono:

The main trouble with cameras and Lake Trout is that once you drop below 50 feet, unless the ice is clear and free of snow, the visibility becomes an issue. I still use cameras, but mostly when I can find Lakers in water less than 50 feet deep.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:08 AM »
I completely agree gunflint, I can see sonar being an effective tool for lake trout but the brookies and bows I'm usually Targeting they don't seem to be all that great, me personally I very rarely use my camera to jig literally only when I lug out the popup, I use mine like I said to scout structure maybe record a trap that's getting little action figure out why

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:42 AM »
I completely agree gunflint, I can see sonar being an effective tool for lake trout but the brookies and bows I'm usually Targeting they don't seem to be all that great, me personally I very rarely use my camera to jig literally only when I lug out the popup, I use mine like I said to scout structure maybe record a trap that's getting little action figure out why

Understand and agree. It is so cold when I fish that I ALWAYS fish in a heated shelter. It has been years since I fished outside. Actually it has been years since I used my tip-ups (traps) because the cold and wind makes them cumbersome compared to having 2 lines inside. If I was outside, I would likely do what you do. Plus, it is hard to use a camera outside because the screen brightness is not adequate in bright sunlight.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:45 AM »
If I lived in a 2 trap state if be jigging inside as well  ;D

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2020, 11:09 AM »

Agreed.  Maybe, you and PerchPounder should quit icefishing to relieve some of the unprecedented pressure.  While we're at it, missoulafish puts a hurt on everything in his path.  We should ban him from the ice as well.

And, before anyone goes ballistic, I say that sarcastically to point out that none of us have any more right to icefish than anyone else (diehard, weekend warrior, or something in between).  I'd also bet some of our local businesses, like Pete's Tackle, are enjoying the increased popularity of icefishing.

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish, and than fish some more!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2020, 01:10 PM »
Fish with technology or without, but for me personally, I need all the help I can get! I don't have 30+ years of experience like some of you veterans. haha

Offline jakediesel1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2020, 01:25 PM »
If your fishing legally with a license and with in guidelines then technically you care about fishing. Hunting has progressed just as far technologically as fishing has if you do the research and the pressure on hunting far surpasses the couple of guys having a good time on hard ice. Not sure on montana but if you can go to wyo fish and game website and download fish stocking populations. our govt does an excellent job of spawning,rearing and observing fish populations. And on another note sometimes you have to take more of one species out of the water so that the others can re populate. Look at flaming gorge right now for instance, they're asking people to take the pups right now because of the population of juvenile lakers. Or take Healy for instance.... its all about stability and biological as well as technology and i for one dont think technology is hurting it. P.S i dont even used cameras or finders/flashers during summer or winter but am deffinitely not against the concept.

Offline CaptHoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2020, 01:30 PM »
I don't think he's saying literally nobody cares at all but instead we are much more relaxed in the way we harvest fish and our practices.  An interesting point to add, my dad is a long time duck hunter and believes baiting should be legal. If you can only shoot 6 ducks why can't we do it the most effective way possible or if we're only allowed one deer why not dump out some corn and shoot our one allowed deer per person? Sure it influences migration, movement, and diet as well as being considered "unsporting" but 80 years ago that was sporting.  If we are only allowed 5 trout or 20 bluegill or whatever the limit why not catch as many as effectively as possible?  Adjustments will be made to limits accounting for the success of the angler/hunter. 
The ice is always safe. The question is, are you?

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2020, 01:32 PM »
technology is for those unskilled in the outdoor arts.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2020, 01:51 PM »
Skill is for those who can't afford technology.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline jakediesel1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2020, 01:58 PM »
technology is for those unskilled in the outdoor arts.
doesnt your avatar picture show a guy with a flasher? lol

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2020, 02:03 PM »
Baiting is about as un-fair chase as you can get. Montana is built on the values of fair chase and I will advocate for keeping it that way the rest of my life. If you don’t like it go back to your home state. Harder to be “successful” when you can’t bait isn’t it? Lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.