Author Topic: What's wrong??  (Read 3558 times)

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
What's wrong??
« on: Jan 24, 2020, 04:09 PM »
Took my new 6" nils convertible auger out today to try it for the first time.  First tried drilling by hand and the performance was phenomenal, cuts very smooth and fast with little effort.  Then I hooked my dewalt 20v brushed driver to it and tried using the low speed and high torc settings.  It started drilling thru the first couple inches of ice no problem then stopped.  You could hear the drill binding up or grinding.  It didn't come loose in the chuck or anything.  The drill is only a couple years old and works great for everything, not used a whole lot. 

What's wrong?? When I pulled the drill off the ice and hit and hit the trigger is spun nice but then stuck it back into the unfinished hole and it did the same thing.

FYI, I went back to hand drilling and had no issues whatsoever, so it's not the auger.

Offline fleasimbeck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What's wrong??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2020, 05:09 PM »

Be sure its on drill and not a number for screws. Mine did the same thing. It will drill and put decking screw in no problem, but wont turn auger.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2020, 05:15 PM »
What model DeWalt ..what AH batteries ..need the whole story ..if either were inadequate/not up to par may be lots of issues...

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:24 PM »
Dewalt model# DCD771 20v max cordless compact with 4 amp lithium batteries.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:30 PM »
Dewalt model# DCD771 20v max cordless compact with 4 amp lithium batteries.

Under torqued ..but may work on skinny ice ..the drill may have some miles on it causing issues ..are you sure you were in drill mode and speed one ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:30 PM »
Be sure its on drill and not a number for screws. Mine did the same thing. It will drill and put decking screw in no problem, but wont turn auger.

Wait up, I only tried it with the drill with one hole attempt before I put the drill away but I put it on one of the numbers on the drill and that's it.  Never tried the drill setting.  Is that the problem?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:36 PM »
Wait up, I only tried it with the drill with one hole attempt before I put the drill away but I put it on one of the numbers on the drill and that's it.  Never tried the drill setting.  Is that the problem?

Watch the video ..at 1:00 mark screw mode at 1:43 mark drill mode ...2:14 mark speed

Drill must be in DRILL mode and speed 1

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:45 PM »
You need a better heavy duty dewalt drill that one is basically a Joe home owners compact model made for box stores to sell cheap.  You need the 900 model drills. Like a 996, 997 etc.  I have dewalt 996 drill/ hammer with clamp on handle and have the blue nils which is more aggressive in the cutting of the holes and it has no problem.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:01 PM »
Yup I got it, thank you everyone.  Had it on the highest number and tried it once and gave up just because I didn't want to mess anything up since I just got it, didn't push it.  I will look into a better drill but now that I just purchased 2 new dewalt batteries I guess I'll be looking at a dewalt brand driver.  Hope I don't have any issues with the dewalt brand.  Most my tools are a mix, Milwaukee, bosch, makita and dewalt but all corded believe or not because I'm old school.  That dewalt drill is the only battery operated tool I have.  Even my other makita drill is corded.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:04 PM »
For the heck of it I'd like to see how one of those battery operated Hilti guns would work, I bet it'd blow the doors off all the other drills.

Offline fleasimbeck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:10 PM »
Like every one is saying,  not all drill, screw guns are created equal.  It takes a lot to turn an auger. I went with the Milwaukee,  and a 6 inch lazer.. I know everyone  herd this , but i got to say it, dont bang the auger on the ice. You will chip the blades. Sorry, im in Pa and only drilled one hold this year. im going nuts. Good luck, stay safe.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:10 PM »
Yup I got it, thank you everyone.  Had it on the highest number and tried it once and gave up just because I didn't want to mess anything up since I just got it, didn't push it.  I will look into a better drill but now that I just purchased 2 new dewalt batteries I guess I'll be looking at a dewalt brand driver.  Hope I don't have any issues with the dewalt brand.  Most my tools are a mix, Milwaukee, bosch, makita and dewalt but all corded believe or not because I'm old school.  That dewalt drill is the only battery operated tool I have.  Even my other makita drill is corded.

I believe the 991 will be just fine has the UWO you need ..subscribe to the Emails of the various tool outlets ..lots of deals/codes from time to time .

Offline JH57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2020, 11:55 PM »
I think you are underpowered with that drill.  Best I can tell you need 90 - 100 in-lb of torque per inch of auger diameter.  For a 6" auger you'll need somewhere between 540 - 600 in-lbs of torque at a minimum.

DeWalt, of course, doesn't publish torque. They publish UWO,  which is listed at 300 for your drill.  Digging around a little I found numbers around 350 in-lbs on some tool review sites.  Your drill is a light duty consumer use drill.

You can try it, but I would think it will struggle even on 'drill' and low speed. 

Offline CranMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2020, 05:45 AM »
I spin a 10" Nils with the strongest Milwaukee M18 cordless and the clam plate adapter. 10" of ice, 20+ holes on one battery.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2020, 07:18 AM »
I believe the 991 will be just fine has the UWO you need ..subscribe to the Emails of the various tool outlets ..lots of deals/codes from time to time .

Thank you I will definitely look into this.  I will wait for a sale or promotion, don't think I will get a chance to ice fish the rest of the season due to most likely scenario that I'm gonna need back surgery soon. :-[.  I'm in some severe pain right now.

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2020, 03:01 PM »
CPO outlet website has great deals.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2020, 09:36 AM »
The ratcheting sound is the screw driving clutch, as you have proven. I help with a kids fishing derby, and we have several orange 6 inch Nils, and they always spin with any drill make we have. If you have a half inch hammer drill, and do not push down to make it cut too aggressively, you should be fine. Larger amp hour batteries have more cells in parallel, and so have a larger current capacity, if you are using the smallest batteries that might limit your torque, but a half inch hammer drill on low should twist out of your hands before it stalls.

Not the question you were asking about, but this:

https://www.spineone.com/blog/mckenzie-method-back-pain/

Has given me and several others relief.

:tipup:

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2020, 04:15 PM »
Make sure that the Dewalt drill you get to replace the Joe-Homeowner drill you currently have is BRUSHLESS!!!!  I run a brushless Dewalt with 5 AH batteries and the bottom to my old Mora hand auger.   I fish some pretty thick ice with no issues.  Any drill that is not brushless will eventually burn up.  I would love to see what a NILS auger would do on my drill!!!
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2020, 04:45 PM »
Well guess that will be my next purchase.  Heard some mixed reviews on dewalt chucks coming loose in different applications.  Sucks b/c I got battery power for tools.  Was thinking about a Milwaukee drill but don't feel like purchasing one unless I get a good deal on one.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2020, 06:09 PM »
You don't need to use the chuck- I got an adapter on EBAY that threads on to the same left hand thread as the chuck. I leave the chuck at home and put it back on in the spring. I have used the same brushed Ridgid hammer drill for 5 seasons, and last year I drilled over 500 holes. I have torn the right side handle off, but other than that, it is fine. I can almost get through a day on a 3 AH battery, with a 5 inch LAZER.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2020, 06:21 PM »
Well guess that will be my next purchase.  Heard some mixed reviews on dewalt chucks coming loose in different applications.  Sucks b/c I got battery power for tools.  Was thinking about a Milwaukee drill but don't feel like purchasing one unless I get a good deal on one.
  Get whatever drill you want!  you won't get that response too often on here, people are pretty stuck in their ways and brands.  HA HA!!!  the great part is that no matter what drill you get, it will be cheaper than most gassers and you end up with a great auger and drill!  win win !!!  As i said earlier, I use Dewalt and I have not found ice it will not barrel through!  My buddy has a Fuel drill by Milwaukee and it kicks ass too!  Even when we get several feet of ice and it requires an extension!
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2020, 07:53 PM »
Sounds like you got your answer. I will say you will be impressed with what a good drill will do on an ice auger. Youll never go back to the handle again. Worth the investment IMO.

Another thing to look at is battery adapters, there are aftermarket adapters between the brands online. I'm not sure which brands you can get that use the dewalt batteries in other drills, I know there is a dewalt battery to ryobi drill out there because a buddy has one. That could open a couple more options if you want something other than dewalt brand and still want to use your batteries.
EYECONICFISHING

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2020, 08:33 PM »

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2020, 08:18 AM »
I would think that 991 is all I would need.  If I went with the hammer drill version guess there would be a chance that I could drill with my nils auger and damage the cutting head if I were to accidentally have it in hammer mode and not drill mode?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2020, 08:32 AM »
I would think that 991 is all I would need.  If I went with the hammer drill version guess there would be a chance that I could drill with my nils auger and damage the cutting head if I were to accidentally have it in hammer mode and not drill mode?

The UWO rating are the same ..but you may find a better deal on the hammer version then the drill driver ..and vice versa from time to time ..I posted the video to help with your decision or the hesitation for DeWalt ..not a true apples to apples comparison of your intended set up but close .

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2020, 01:07 PM »
Like every one is saying,  not all drill, screw guns are created equal.  It takes a lot to turn an auger. I went with the Milwaukee,  and a 6 inch lazer.. I know everyone  herd this , but i got to say it, dont bang the auger on the ice. You will chip the blades. Sorry, im in Pa and only drilled one hold this year. im going nuts. Good luck, stay safe.
That only happens with Chinese made blades. Chinese "steel" is garbage and won't hold an edge like real steel will either. You need to look at the actual blades and it will usually be stamped on where they were made.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.