Author Topic: Clam Customer Service  (Read 948 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Clam Customer Service
« on: Oct 18, 2019, 08:36 AM »
I know most people say good things, but really want to echo how great Clam is and a pleasure to work with. I called because I was ordering a new tent for my old Clam Voyager. I just mentioned it figuring they'd tell me to pound sand because they're an inexpensive part, but I ordered External Hub Straps last year (6 of them for like $3 a strap) and they all broke in a heavy windy day on the ice. Mark the rep I spoke to said to fill out the warranty claim form online. It says right on the warranty claim for they are not responsible for wind damage. I submitted the form and the next day Clam said it would be no problem to replace them and they'd ship them for free. I also added a support pole that I needed for $10. If they wanted to, they could have charged me for shipping. I didn't even ask for free shipping and Mark said since I am getting the straps under warranty he'd just include the pole and not charge shipping! They were just super easy to work with and I am a happy customer.
Tight Lines!

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam Customer Service
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2019, 09:34 AM »
Yes, great folks at Clam, and there are many stories about their excellent customer service.

BUT, the BEST customer service would be to  IMPROVE  THE  QUALITY  OF THEIR  PRODUCTS SO  THAT  CUSTOMERS  DON'T  NEED  CUSTOMER  SERVICE!!!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2019, 09:35 AM »
Yes, great folks at Clam, and there are many stories about their excellent customer service.

BUT, the BEST customer service would be to  IMPROVE  THE  QUALITY  OF THEIR  PRODUCTS SO  THAT  CUSTOMERS  DON'T  NEED  CUSTOMER  SERVICE!!!

The best customer service is the customer service you don't need

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2019, 10:13 AM »
Agreed, but mistakes happen, user error occurs. Instead of fighting you on wording and legalities, they do the right thing. I see Clam often times as having the best products for some ice fishing categories. Are we saying the best isn't good enough?
Tight Lines!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2019, 10:20 AM »

I to had an issue of my own making and they also helped me out ,

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2019, 10:30 AM »
I will ditto that. I think they realize that they make more money in the long run by being so good when we do have a problem.

I have a hub style shelter (the big foot) that I’ve had for 5 years now I think. While taking it down in the wind I broke one of the plastic ends that fit onto the end of the rod, that go in the hub. I couldn’t find anywhere to order them online so I called clam. I told him the story and he told me what specific part I needed, how to fix it and then asked me how many I want. I said “well I’d hate to order just one from you.” And he said “how about I throw 6 in this package, free of charge, what’s your address? Sure it’s a 10 cent part and 6 of them surely wont break clam. It’s iust the fact that I have one of the older style clam hub shelters, I broke it myself, and they didn’t jerk me around over it whatsoever. For that reason, my next shelter will be a clam too. It’s just the way it is!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2019, 11:02 AM »
Years ago when clam first came out with the insulated command post version they had MAJOR QC issues.  My dad and I each had a command post and another smaller model.  The seams and corners just fell apart on all of them;  in the end we did not get particularly good customer service.  The earlier hubs were very reliable up until then, so it was a big bummer to us at the time.

I finally relented and purchased my first clam shantys again late last season after holding a grudge for a decade.  If the traps weren't 1/2 price on closeout and stealth black in color, neither would have been purchased.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2019, 04:03 PM »

I have a stealth , material is tough as nails , but does not hold the heat as well as the quilt , I sold that 1 to a bud , the black is great for site fishing ,

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2019, 04:55 PM »
clam and h.t. - best customer service for a reason..

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2019, 09:28 PM »
Yes, one of the best and most knowledgeable customer service groups I have ever did business with.  I have an original single man and an original 2-man Fish-Trap.  They both needed new canvas a few years ago so I contacted Clam customer service and they told me that both those flip-over were no longer made and they were from the original years when Genz made the first Fish-traps.  What they did for me, was looked back at the original Fish Trap frame dimensions and sent me the closest Clam canvas that would work as a replacement.  Because the original Fish Traps were shorter in height the replacement canvas had extra material at ice level that did not cause and problem.  They could have said my Fish Traps are no longer made and left it at that but they didn't.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2019, 09:47 PM »
Agreed, but mistakes happen, user error occurs. Instead of fighting you on wording and legalities, they do the right thing. I see Clam often times as having the best products for some ice fishing categories. Are we saying the best isn't good enough?

I would say you should take the blinders off..  @)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2019, 11:20 PM »
I would say you should take the blinders off..  @)

No blinders on, I did some work with Frabill for a bit as well. Just giving credit where credit is due. Pretty unrealistic to make an absolutely perfect product that will never have issues when you have people with no common sense.
Tight Lines!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2019, 10:06 AM »
No blinders on, I did some work with Frabill for a bit as well. Just giving credit where credit is due. Pretty unrealistic to make an absolutely perfect product that will never have issues when you have people with no common sense.

I completely disagree but that's why there's a handful of companies that all make practically the same products.  I can't name a single claim product besides the clam plate that I'd consider best but I've seen many products that rank towards the bottom imo while they charge a premium price.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.