Author Topic: I like Striker but...  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I like Striker but...
« on: Oct 13, 2019, 04:06 PM »
Their prices! They just go up and up every year! I bought some climate mitts a few years ago. New they were 39.99. Last year I looked at a pair and they were 49.99. Now this year they MSRP for 69.99!! They have replaced my climate mitts three times because they don’t hold up (the material on the palm cracks in the cold). 

And the suits. I had the original Striker Lite suit and replaced it with the Predator suit when it came out. It MSRP was 199. Now it’s up to 229! And the rain gear, I bought a set of the Pinnacle rain gear. Top and bottom was 169 a piece. Now their rain gear is 800 dollars! 400 for the top and 400 for the bottoms!

I was a big fan of Striker when they first came to the market. Their prices were right and they were a small company. Now they’re huge and money has gotten the best of them.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: I like Striker but...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2019, 06:30 PM »
It’s the way of the world! EVERYTHING is getting more expensive, and it’s only going to get worse.
I don’t think it’s fair to “black ball” a company for passing on the cost of doing business to the consumer. Jus saying.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2019, 07:18 PM »
Frabil gear has remained steady for the past few years. Probably not the best in the market  but they keep these old bones warm and dry.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2019, 07:20 PM »
There is a old saying “You get what you pay for” !!

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2019, 07:42 PM »
Supply and demand, and quality isn't cheap. Inflation plays a part in it also.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2019, 07:51 PM »
I have never heard of the term “blackball”.

You get what you pay for isn’t always the case. After three seasons on my predator suit, the knees are paper thin and the seam running down the bibs are splitting open. The material on the palm of the climate mitts turn stiff as a board below 0, and crack because they won’t bend.

Strikemaster just came out with an ice suit and it looks very similar to the striker suit. I’m excited to hear what people have to say about them.

Clams new ice houses are insanely priced. Way more expensive than an Otter and Otters are a much better shack. Still get what you pay for? IMO you are paying extra for that good warranty.

Quality IS cheap. It’s all made in China. I would bet the cost of a pair of ice bibs is under 30 bucks after shipping. I get all of my big money items at a good price when it comes to ice fishing. You just need to shop around. IMO the MSRP on ice gear is ridiculous. I can’t believe people pay full price for a clam shack when they go on sale for half price in the later half of the season.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2019, 08:46 PM »
“black ball” essentially means to boycott or speak negatively about something or someone you don’t like or agree with.
When I don’t like the quality of something, I either return it for a refund, or at best, don’t do any further business with that company, especially if I continue to have a reoccurring issue with a product. Thanks for the input on Striker.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2019, 09:57 PM »
“black ball” essentially means to boycott or speak negatively about something or someone you don’t like or agree with.
When I don’t like the quality of something, I either return it for a refund, or at best, don’t do any further business with that company, especially if I continue to have a reoccurring issue with a product. Thanks for the input on Striker.
Your welcome. Thanks for your opinion.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2019, 10:59 PM »
 i paid full price for my hardwater bibs about 6-7 years ago.  couldn't be happier, the cuffs are a bit worn but perfect other than that and i've  got well over 400 days on the ice in that time.  after another 3 or 4 years i'll gladly pay full price for another pair of striker bibs.

sure don't miss the days of soaking wet carhartts that would be covered in ice after chasing a tip up or two at 30 below.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2019, 07:59 AM »
everything has gone up. how long ago did the Clam Plates come out? I think, that when they first came out, they were like $49.99. Now, They are $89.99. Wages have gone up, raw materials have gone up, so the cost is passed on.  Rainsuits used to be sold as a set. I have noticed that more and more, they are being sold as separates.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2019, 09:59 AM »
Wages haven’t gone up that much.

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2019, 10:17 AM »
I wish Frabil would re-release the Sno-suit with flotation.  I still have my 2008 Arctic sport and love it.  Only downside it does not float. I cant imagine it would be hard to add flotation to it.

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2019, 01:07 PM »
I bought my whole striker suit off eBay for $170. Coat and bibs. Just watched all summer long till I got a good deal. I very rarely pay full price for anything. A sale always happens and eBay is awesome. We waited to buy a truck one for 9 months and paid $6000 under book, and our other truck was $5000 under book. If you don't like a price wait. Some deal will always come along.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2019, 03:18 PM »
Ice fishing has been growing, both in people doing it and the plethora of stuff to buy. These companies know it's feasting time on us purchasers right now.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2019, 03:41 PM »

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy , that is by choice

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2019, 05:38 PM »
Nobody is forcing anyone to buy , that is by choice

You got it bud. Rarely do you see prices stay put for long or go down for many reasons...unless it's a clearance /close out item. An entry level economics class teaches us that. Like someone said, check Ebay,  Craigslist,  garage sales ,etc. during the off season. There's where you'll get your best deals
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2019, 09:26 PM »
I’m going on my fourth season with the striker predator suit. At the time they were the only game in town and I needed a float suit to give myself some peace of mind when I’m out by myself on thinner ice. I think at the time it was about $430 for the set. They make a great high quality that has kept safe and warm for the past several years. If you think it costs too much don’t buy it, plenty of other companies offer a float suit now. When it comes time to buy a new suit I will evaluate what I need and find the option that best suits my needs.

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2019, 10:17 PM »
I’m going on my fourth season with the striker predator suit. At the time they were the only game in town and I needed a float suit to give myself some peace of mind when I’m out by myself on thinner ice. I think at the time it was about $430 for the set. They make a great high quality that has kept safe and warm for the past several years. If you think it costs too much don’t buy it, plenty of other companies offer a float suit now. When it comes time to buy a new suit I will evaluate what I need and find the option that best suits my needs.

I just picked up the Striker Predator suit last season and love it.  I have ice fished solo for 34 years and until I fell through the ice for the first time in Jan 2018, I never considered spending that much money for a jacket and bibs.  Plunging through the ice changed that for me. I was very lucky that day to survive. Having some peace of mind is money well spent.

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 14, 2019, 10:24 PM »
I'm just going to spit my 2 cents in here and say FXR makes a much better suit than Striker.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 14, 2019, 10:57 PM »
I've had my striker climate suit a couple years and it's starting to show some wear. Guessing I'll get 6 or so seasons out of it was expecting more durability. I'll be looking at the cheaper options next time around

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2019, 01:23 AM »

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2019, 07:47 AM »
I think I paid 350 for my predator suit from Fish USA

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2019, 07:51 AM »
It just amazes me what the MSRP is on ice gear when we can just wait for a deal and get it at a fraction of the price. My LX-6s cost me 429. Brand new online. My Otter Cabin Xover was 529.99 from fleet farm.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2019, 08:18 AM »
I've had my striker climate suit a couple years and it's starting to show some wear. Guessing I'll get 6 or so seasons out of it was expecting more durability. I'll be looking at the cheaper options next time around

Way better then the blue clam suits that some would only get like two years out of.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 15, 2019, 08:27 AM »
i'd just use rag wool glomits for $10 vs those strikers...i also wear FAST floatation bibs similar to fxr's that were $50

Catchin' Fish

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 15, 2019, 08:35 AM »
I wish Frabil would re-release the Sno-suit with flotation.  I still have my 2008 Arctic sport and love it.  Only downside it does not float. I cant imagine it would be hard to add flotation to it.

Wish they would make these again !

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:13 AM »
It just amazes me what the MSRP is on ice gear when we can just wait for a deal and get it at a fraction of the price. My LX-6s cost me 429. Brand new online. My Otter Cabin Xover was 529.99 from fleet farm.

Goes to show how huge the markup is on ice gear. Almost any other merchandise, 15-20% is usually a good sale; with ice gear, I normally look to buy at half off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.