Author Topic: Next Upgrade?  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Mchmss

• IceShanty Rookie
Next Upgrade?
« on: Oct 13, 2019, 11:24 AM »
I've been building my ice fishing setup each year and at a point where I feel I have all the essentials.

I have a gas auger, marcum m1, insulated pop up for when I'm with a group., One person flip over for when I'm alone, buddy heater, a good assortment of rods and tackle.

I'd love to here what you guys think would be the next best piece of equipment to add or upgrade. New shack? Helix Sonar? Drill Auger setup, underwater camera?

Based on your experience what would you recommend the best next purchase should be?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Next Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2019, 11:35 AM »
Unless water clarity is great in your area I recommend not getting a camera.  Most  people have unrealistic expectations to how far a camera can see.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2019, 11:50 AM »
Tough question to answer. A lot depends on where you live (quality of ice, amount of snowfall, temps, etc.) and what you fish for. IMO a snowmobile or quad are a necessity where I fish most times of the year (at least to get where I want to go).

During your trips is there any particular element you feel is lackluster within the equipment you have? An element you feel could be done with less effort? Sometimes is more about mods to equipment to improve things (organization and storage as an example) then it is about entirely new equipment.

Offline Doug SD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2019, 11:51 AM »
I would say drill auger.  Couple years ago I went to k drill with Milwaukee on a clam plate.  I couldn't believe how much lighter it was hauling out and in drilling.  Plus it cut so much faster.  If I was looking now I would look at the new strikemaster drill auger bit but I think any of them look to be good.  I also went from uninsulated clam to thermal otter about 5 years ago and the thermal upgrade was very noticeable on those windy days also.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2019, 12:06 PM »
Float Suit, Power auger, Smitty Sled, Snowmobile/ATV - whatever will help expand your time and/or areas to fish.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2019, 12:09 PM »
Sometimes its the little things/details ..Lighter lines has made a world of difference in my presentations ..adding tip downs is also a inexpensive tool ..put them left.. right..up and back.. keeps track of the schools movements and gives you the direction to pursue them...adding a dead stick ..each and every time is useful ..adding a good mechanism/rod holder to your arsenal for such purpose ...cold snap tooth pick EZPZ hook removal .Cameras are nice but can be cumbersome ..up down and cable management ..but great for structure identification/verification..the set up/equipment you have seems very adequate ..tweaking it some ..making it lighter ..more comfortable ..will let you fish longer and get you to move a lot more with ease. The smallest changes most often yields the biggest results .

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/catch-cover-portable-multi-flex-rod-holder-with-c-clamp-mount?a=488394

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Snap-Outdoors-Toothpick-Remover/dp/B01HBXR7UY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&hvadid=78477753296878&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=cold+snap+toothpick+hook+remover&psc=1&qid=1570985883&sr=8-2 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2019, 12:11 PM »
Unless water clarity is great in your area I recommend not getting a camera.  Most  people have unrealistic expectations to how far a camera can see.

I love my camera and I fish in dirty water. I set it up so it's pointed at my lure. I'm not expecting to see out 10-20 feet.

Nothing more entertaining than watching a northern sniff the lure and enticing him to bite.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2019, 12:24 PM »
I love my camera and I fish in dirty water. I set it up so it's pointed at my lure. I'm not expecting to see out 10-20 feet.

Nothing more entertaining than watching a northern sniff the lure and enticing him to bite.

I don't disagree with you but most seem to purchase a camera thinking 10-20ft is realistic and then complain about the camera when they meet reality

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2019, 12:47 PM »
 drill auger and 10lb propane tank for the buddy.  getting rid of the gas auger the weight will be the same  ;D

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2019, 01:15 PM »
A camera has been my most recent acquisition that has changed the game for my fishing. A drill auger has also enabled me to reduce weight and space resources in all my setups. This year I've upgraded my shanty so I can overnight in it which will hopefully get me cusk fishing some more this season. I'm looking to get some cusk chowder going this year! Just a few ideas.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2019, 01:45 PM »
I don't disagree with you but most seem to purchase a camera thinking 10-20ft is realistic and then complain about the camera when they meet reality

I have an AquaVu mini.  I cut 3 holes in my hut, center for flasher and camera, and 2 outer holes for rods. I use camera to watch my baits and what the fish are reacting to.  Water can be dingy and my camera is still useful.  It also super fun to see what is going on down there. Flasher only tells part of the story.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2019, 02:45 PM »
The day may well arrive when the thought "What more should I add?" will be replaced with "What can I leave behind?". I've got at least four grand tied up in ice fishing

paraphernalia, augers, flips, electronics, heaters, sleds, suits and all the miscellaneous stuff that seemed like such a great idea when acquired over the course of forty years plus on

the ice. Three quarters of it has been sold, given away, or bone piled and I'm still trying to get free from more and more every year. Very little of it actually made me a better

fisherman or put more fish on the ice. Creature comforts are nice until that age when gravity starts getting real mean. My drill auger would rate as most valuable component.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2019, 02:51 PM »
This is a great reply!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Mchmss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2019, 09:45 PM »
Thanks for the tips all. I'm leaning towards a drill Auger set up. Reducing weight and getting away from gas/oil seems like a good next step.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2019, 09:59 PM »
How are your boots? Boots can make or break your day. Number one piece of gear IMO. I would suggest a float suit.

Offline Mchmss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2019, 10:04 PM »
I have a float suit and I'm happy with the boots I have. Only a couple years old and haven't had cold feet yet.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2019, 01:49 AM »
I have a float suit and I'm happy with the boots I have. Only a couple years old and haven't had cold feet yet.

LOL...I remember when I was young and my feet were never that cold.  Now...it's cold, it's cold.  ;D

Sometimes it's not always about upgrading, but having spares or backups.  I know I'm all about having a rod (n reel) or two for backups...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2019, 08:00 AM »
https://finickyfooler.com/products/finicky-fooler one of those
Lithium jump pack battery to replace the agm in my shack to run lights/usb charging off of
building a few rods to supplement what I already have

Catchin' Fish

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #18 on: Oct 14, 2019, 09:28 AM »
The day may well arrive when the thought "What more should I add?" will be replaced with "What can I leave behind?". I've got at least four grand tied up in ice fishing

paraphernalia, augers, flips, electronics, heaters, sleds, suits and all the miscellaneous stuff that seemed like such a great idea when acquired over the course of forty years plus on

the ice. Three quarters of it has been sold, given away, or bone piled and I'm still trying to get free from more and more every year. Very little of it actually made me a better

fisherman or put more fish on the ice. Creature comforts are nice until that age when gravity starts getting real mean. My drill auger would rate as most valuable component.
  don’t have quite that much invested close though. Last season we got some deeper snow and for the first time I had to say ok too old to drag this stuff across the lake. Now taking a look at a piece of equipment and asking myself do I need this? If I need it can I get a lighter version? Did I use this last season if not probably going to a new home. A couple of my nephews seem to be pretty happy about the whole thing.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #19 on: Oct 14, 2019, 12:42 PM »
A good ice chisel bar, to check the ice as your walking out.
Beginning and end of the season with sketchy ice its a thing to have.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline CeePac

• IceShanty Rookie
  • You hear what happened to Pluto? That's messed up!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 14, 2019, 02:12 PM »
This is my 3rd year ice fishing - I got good boots last year and bought a few poles, one tip up, and a few different jigs.    I want an auger next and thinking I'll go drill auger.  I don't get out enough to justify a shanty, plus I have two friends who have one that I go fishing with.  May get a nice heater so we can keep warm inside.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 14, 2019, 04:46 PM »
Unlike a few people in this thread, I love my camera. Helps me identify structure and fish species. I don't go out without it and added a full size camera for this year.

I have the Aqua Vu Micro Revolution Pro and with the cable reel it is so quick to drop down the camera and scout that it's ridiculous.

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2019, 08:38 AM »
Korker boots & 8” k-drill . I’m set everywhere else

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2019, 08:50 AM »
Snowdog and Livescope......the best two things i added to my setup.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 15, 2019, 09:43 AM »
Unlike a few people in this thread, I love my camera. Helps me identify structure and fish species. I don't go out without it and added a full size camera for this year.

I have the Aqua Vu Micro Revolution Pro and with the cable reel it is so quick to drop down the camera and scout that it's ridiculous.
X2. I love my camera as well. I prefer my flasher for fishing but the micro cameras are a great tool for scouting structure. I don’t leave home without it. Really helps out finding the spot on the spot.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:55 AM »
I like my camera as I can see how the fish are reacting to my presentation, nothing more frustrating than seeing fish on the sonar and not getting any hits. I can't see very far 2-3' in most waters I fish and it also helps keep my grandson occupied.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 15, 2019, 11:41 AM »
I bought a camera years ago, a nice color one thinking it would really be great.
The honest truth is I probably haven't had it on the ice in a couple of years or more.
I was thinking of letting it go but my dad wants to use it at the cabin in the summer to check out a few spots on the lake.
My flasher is so much quicker and easier to set up and its put way more fish on the ice than my camera ever did.
The flasher tells me instantly what would take 5 minutes or more to do with a camera.
Plus the fact that the camera is only looking at one depth level and the flashers looking at the entire water column the whole time.
To be honest I don't think I would spend my money on a camera.
I think anything that makes you more mobile is a good upgrade and a camera does the opposite of that.
Just my 2 cents anyway.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #27 on: Oct 15, 2019, 12:30 PM »
a camera is alright if sitting in a hub with no plans on moving for the day and watch it like a tv..but as soon as you have to move and setup somewhere else its a pain to setup unreel all the camera  cord and fiddle with what way the camera point ect.flasher or finder is a lot more useful when being on the search for fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.