Author Topic: Rod tips.  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Rod tips.
« on: Oct 12, 2019, 11:15 PM »
Is it just me....or do other people hate when a company doesn't put a tip top at the tip of the Rod and just uses a guide.....

I've got a St croix ice Rod & am thinking about redoing the tip top on it because of this.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rod tips.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2019, 11:46 PM »
I'd redo it.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2019, 12:26 AM »
Nope actually the opposite, so use to seeing guides that tiptops look wrong

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2019, 12:58 AM »
Nope actually the opposite, so use to seeing guides that tiptops look wrong

I agree. Tip-tops on ice rods are too bulky for me. Not only aesthetically but physically. Having said that, I’d take an aligned top over a crooked one of either style. It’s like most rod companies believe that ice rods aren’t serious tools. It’s just a line holder. Which is ever evident by the sea of poorly constructed ice rods on the market. I own 3 TUCR’s and have made several rods (all noodles) and a tip-top would just impede rod action, for me (I’m very particular when it comes to gear). No need for that much material on the end of a noodle rod. Again, having said that, I suppose it would depend on the type of ice rod. Anything strong like pike, trout, sturgeon, heavy catfish, I would use a tip-top because the rod itself is of a more stout construction. Power is the name of the game there. Stronger fish = stronger rod = Stronger guides, including the top. In this case it would be a tip-top and not just a wrapped guide.

Does it really matter though, nah......
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2019, 07:29 AM »
when building a rod, though, trying to wrap a guide at the end of a rod tip that is 2/64 or 3/64 is a real pain in the arse. I go with a glued top.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2019, 10:03 PM »
when building a rod, though, trying to wrap a guide at the end of a rod tip that is 2/64 or 3/64 is a real pain in the arse. I go with a glued top.

Exactly.......after building a lot of rods.....it just looks wrong to me if a guide is used. Plus I feel you get a better view of the tip with a tip top.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2019, 10:45 PM »
It's unnecessary weight at the worst spot to have it.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2019, 01:51 AM »
Since I prefer a baitcasting set up...it's got to have a rod tip that will work that way.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2019, 07:43 AM »
the only tip top i use are fly style and then it is only while using a sight bead

Otherwise it is double wrapped standard wire fly guides

I would never put a standard open water style tip top on an ice rod...even laker, pike, sturgeon rods I would use a size 8 Minima F with 2x locking wraps

Catchin' Fish

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2019, 08:32 AM »
Lookin' good!!  :thumbsup: :clap: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2019, 08:40 AM »
Gets some American fishing wire single strand wire and make your own tip top ...   been there done it several times threw out the years.. you can get lighter wire then the guide they used in first place so the tips more sensitive then make the rest of the snake guides for the rod out of the wire you can lighten up the rod doing so..

If it was me I would redo it!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2019, 02:40 PM »
Same here I build rods  fly rod top epoxied on is much nicer looking.
Also for and oitdoor rod its works well for ice build up.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2019, 08:27 PM »
Same here I build rods  fly rod top epoxied on is much nicer looking.
Also for and oitdoor rod its works well for ice build up.

Yep. Fly rod tops/tips are what I do. I don't see them being any more or less in weight then a guide with thread and thread epoxie

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2019, 12:19 PM »
These work just fine!! ;D    https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fly-rod-tip-tops/  Check out the larger tips!! ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2019, 02:36 PM »
I use these XFTXL Ice Rod Tops, 2.5/64" Tube from Mudhole Free shipping til Dec 1st.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.