Author Topic: Striker comfort issues  (Read 7357 times)

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Striker comfort issues
« on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:00 PM »
I guess I am different because I don't like these.the jacket weighs 5lbs which I notice.the material is so thick it bight into my elbow when I bend my arms.the arms seem a little restrictive.it does not breath and taking it off defeats the purpose.i also found it a little short in the back.the bibs were worse as far as comfort,the legs are so big I found it awkward to walk and another 5lbs.going to get rid off and try the anorak one .cant imagine running around in this thing I feel like I'm suiting up to fight German shepherds.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Striker comfort issues
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:04 PM »
After I washed my Climate bibs/parka ...was just fine ....before that it was rather stiff ...similar to a snowmobile suit . I washed mine as directed and used no scent outdoorsman soap.

Note I wore it all last season w/o washing it (new) ....was stiff..walked like gumby ...spring time I washed it and wearing  it this season there is a notable difference.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:41 PM »
My Predator suit is very comfortable.  Sounds to me like you didn't get the right size??

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:47 PM »
After I washed my Climate bibs/parka ...was just fine ....before that it was rather stiff ...similar to a snowmobile suit . I washed mine as directed and used no scent outdoorsman soap.

Note I wore it all last season w/o washing it (new) ....was stiff..walked like gumby ...spring time I washed it and wearing  it this season there is a notable difference.
                                Sounds like you guys better eat some wheaties or something, walking like that, my hardwater suit is fine, sure you have more clothes on than your skivvies, so there is gonna be a little more effort involved!!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:50 PM »
I'll bite that the HW bibs are a bit heavy, but I cut down on how much I wore under them and have no issues. The Climate Parka is a parka, it's heavy, but mine fits well, especially when I gear up for fishing and it fits fine. I have noticed that if I wear the shell by itself, with regular street clothes, it rests in the back of my neck and can give me a headache if I wear it for long periods, but that to me is a fit issue.

I wasn't expecting my suit to be as light and agile as my Gore-Tex suit.  It's going to run heavy because it's designed to float and be warm.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:16 PM »
I guess I am different because I don't like these.the jacket weighs 5lbs which I notice.the material is so thick it bight into my elbow when I bend my arms.the arms seem a little restrictive.it does not breath and taking it off defeats the purpose.i also found it a little short in the back.the bibs were worse as far as comfort,the legs are so big I found it awkward to walk and another 5lbs.going to get rid off and try the anorak one .cant imagine running around in this thing I feel like I'm suiting up to fight German shepherds.

It would help if you explained what model and sizes you got. I got the Hardwater suit which is their warmest suit and I have no problem hoofing it anywhere.  Are you wearing jeans under the bibs?  I've always worn polyester under bibs....jeans are no good.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:35 PM »
I wasn't expecting my suit to be as light and agile as my Gore-Tex suit.

I think you would be quite surprised at how light , agile, and warm an Arctic Armor suit is.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:35 PM »
both are hardwater both xl.they fit fine.no cotton ever.im a mason its not a strength issue.they are just so stiff and heavy I figure I'm go to look at different kind that do the same thing without the comfort issues,and I have heard breath better too.i just thought I would put this outthere because all the reviews I read nobody mentioned the comfort and weight.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:40 PM »
I got my son a arctic armour it is allot lighter and more comfortable.but am concerned with all the problems people seem to be having with then with no customer service.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:41 PM »
I think you would be quite surprised at how light , agile, and warm an Arctic Armor suit is.
                      Give it a rest, you might have the only one, you are vastly outnumbered, I'm sure your suit is a good suit, just saying!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:49 PM »
the hardwater suit is a little stiff and bulky but its warm and will float if I go in.its a even trade being made with heavier materials/insulation.my striker  lite suit is nice and light and pretty warm too though.

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:54 PM »
Me my son and his friend all have striker ice climate suits and couldn't be happier, we were out all day in the last arctic blast we had, warm as could be all day.  All we had on underneath was Cabelas ECWS long jons, that's it.
Comfortable as all heck.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:59 PM »
                      Give it a rest, you might have the only one, you are vastly outnumbered, I'm sure your suit is a good suit, just saying!!

Just expressing my experience and I'm not the only one, there's plenty of others.

As for being outnumbered, I'm not afraid to be the underdog.

Now that the striker suits have been out for a little while there seems to be issues coming up about them and not everyone is pleased with them, I'm not surprised... but then again, I'm not blinded by the Kool-Aid either.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2016, 04:03 PM »
Just expressing my experience and I'm not the only one, there's plenty of others.

Now that the striker suits have been out for a little while there seems to be issues coming up about them and not everyone is pleased with them, I'm not surprised... but then again, I'm not blinded by the Kool-Aid either.
            Ahh the Kool-Aid again , seen that in other threads!! Ha haha

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2016, 04:52 PM »

You're one of a handful of people who don't hate their AA suits, we get it. I wish I would have never wasted my money on an AA suit. Feels like the Wal-Mart knockoff of a Striker suit.   Disliked it even before the workers insulted me over the phone.

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2016, 04:59 PM »
Couldn't picture needing more than the predator here in Pa.  I wore mine on the few single digit days we had this year and was completely comfortable.  I'd guess you probably got too heavy of a suit for our conditions.  No matter how good something breaths, you'll be soaked if you're overdressed.  The heavy, thick material is made for conditions far more brutal than we typically see.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2016, 05:44 PM »
Im 5'8" and 140lbs and am a weight freak! I cut as much weight as I can. 3-5 miles of walking per trip is not out of the norm. That being said, I dont notice the weight of the hardwater bibs/jacket at all.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2016, 06:46 PM »
The weight doesn't bother me but I do notice the arms being tight I had even tried on the next size bigger the body part was huge on me but the arms still felt just as snug

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2016, 08:14 PM »

Vex user?? HAHA.. ;D ;D

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2016, 08:58 PM »
Vex user?? HAHA.. ;D ;D

Humminbird all the way!!! ;D

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2016, 07:40 AM »
Couldn't picture needing more than the predator here in Pa.  I wore mine on the few single digit days we had this year and was completely comfortable.  I'd guess you probably got too heavy of a suit for our conditions.  No matter how good something breaths, you'll be soaked if you're overdressed.  The heavy, thick material is made for conditions far more brutal than we typically see.

If you live where it gets cold you will appreciate the heavy thick material. I think where a lot of you live the striker ice hard water suit is too much.

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2016, 07:54 AM »
If you live where it gets cold you will appreciate the heavy thick material. I think where a lot of you live the striker ice hard water suit is too much.
Ya, I have no use for the Hardwater suit. Predator is enough for Pa.   I think -20 degrees, 30mph on a snowmobile when I think Harwater.

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:11 AM »
You're one of a handful of people who don't hate their AA suits, we get it. I wish I would have never wasted my money on an AA suit. Feels like the Wal-Mart knockoff of a Striker suit.   Disliked it even before the workers insulted me over the phone.
I love my AA suit .............. and my MARCUM LX6 !! Dude you just have bad luck I'm afraid !!
ice fishing rules

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:16 AM »
Just like boats, and trucks  there is no perfect unit for everyone.  As stated above you really appreciate the hardwater suit when going you are out fishing in 20 degrees in the boat sitting all night or driving 40mph across the lake and then in the winter doing 50 across the ice on a snowmobile, or hunkered down on a blustery winter day.   I can say with great amount of certainty that my Striker suit is head and shoulders above the AA suit I had and it’s not even close.   Of course it’s not perfect.   I have one of the earlier versions of the Hardwater and there are few things I don’t like.   The collar is too high for me.  It blocks my peripheral vision and rubs annoyingly on my cheeks.   Also the bib straps never stay put.  I have to adjust them every trip.   I don’t like that the gators are sewn in.  I’d like to be able to remove them if I don’t want to use them.  .  It’s a little heavy and stiff, but  a couple of washing will take care of that.   My biggest gripe is that the kneepads are down by my shins, so I have to hike em up before I kneel.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:25 AM »
I never thought about it before but the hard water ice suit would be heaven sitting in a tree stand all day on those really cold days deer hunting. Gun hunting that is. Of course you would have to pack it in and not put it on until you are up in your stand.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:34 AM »
I love my AA suit .............. and my MARCUM LX6 !! Dude you just have bad luck I'm afraid !!

:thumbsup: :clap: :woot:

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:40 AM »
:thumbsup: :clap: :woot:

Where you live I would think a wind breaker or rain suit would be plenty. 😀

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:43 AM »
              He's not the only one, there is a lot us of out there!

IW

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2016, 12:09 PM »
I forgot about the knee pads that don't really make it to the knee.my shins are well padded though.it is about the same warmth wise as my old suite that was 200 gram thinsulite and gortex .anything that will keep you warm for 6-8 hrs sitting on a bucket when it's -15 out will make you sweat when you are moving and drilling.thats why it needs to breath.but it was really how uncomfortable it was especially the bibs that made my mind up.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2016, 12:20 PM »
Where you live I would think a wind breaker or rain suit would be plenty. 😀

Where I live we get 37*F lake water that I fish over out of a boat. Are you familiar with the effects of cold water on the body?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xohI3B4Uc

Cold water doesn't have to have ice on top of it to kill you.

Where I travel to visit relatives is a lot further north and colder than where you live:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_Lake,_Alberta

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.