Author Topic: Jigging Rap/Puppet Minnow with good hooks?  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jigging Rap/Puppet Minnow with good hooks?
« on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:42 PM »
Hey guys, I am looking for a lure that is similar to the Rapala Jigging Rap or Northland Puppet Minnow, but with good, stout hooks that don't bend easily. I use the smallest jigging raps/puppet minnows a lot for crappies, but I really hate how the hooks bend so easily. I usually replace the treble for a stronger one, but you obviously cant do that with the ones in the front and back.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, CI

Go Beavers!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jigging Rap/Puppet Minnow with good hooks?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2015, 03:59 PM »
I compared the back hooks on a Sz. 0 Shiver Minnow and a #3 rap and they are a little bit different style wise, but the wire looked to be about the same thickness on both.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2015, 04:42 PM »
I compared the back hooks on a Sz. 0 Shiver Minnow and a #3 rap and they are a little bit different style wise, but the wire looked to be about the same thickness on both.

I had never heard of a shiver minnow before... Have you ever run into pike while fishing with one? Whenever I run into smaller pike while panfishing, I always ending up having my hooks bend pretty bad.. and I am talking about 1-2lb pike here.. not 6 or 7 pounders.

Go Beavers!

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:15 PM »
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:00 PM »
Check this out.
http://www.moonshinelures.com/shiver-minnow/

It looks pretty similar, but I wonder how the hooks hold up...

I have no issues with the action of the puppet minnow/jigging rap, but I do have an issue with the hooks. That's why I am asking

Go Beavers!

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:07 PM »
I always just cut the front and rear hooks off my jigging raps.  They always used to get caught on the bottom of the hole.   Never have any issues now and you can put whatever treble you want on.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:08 PM »
Moonshine lures are superior, In hook  strenght and GLOW
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Raynestorm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:19 PM »
I cut the front hooks off all my raps (about 50 - 60 of them, I have every size) almost every fish I catch has the treble hook in its mouth.  I replace all of my trebles with quality hooks and up the size on them.

I would feel confident clipping off the rear hook too, if needed. 

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:26 AM »
I cut the front hooks off all my raps (about 50 - 60 of them, I have every size) almost every fish I catch has the treble hook in its mouth.  I replace all of my trebles with quality hooks and up the size on them.

I would feel confident clipping off the rear hook too, if needed.

by cutting both the side hooks off, does this stop the lure from catching on the ice so much when you reel up?

Go Beavers!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:01 AM »
I always just cut the front and rear hooks off my jigging raps.  They always used to get caught on the bottom of the hole.   Never have any issues now and you can put whatever treble you want on.

x2...wish Mustad made a size 10 triple grip. I've been putting sz10 eagle claws on mine and cutting the hooks off

Catchin' Fish

Offline Raynestorm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:02 AM »
Yes, that's why I cut the nose hooks off, and the tail hook could be cut too.  I lost a couple fish from hooking edge of ice, and I rarely hooked the fish on just the single hooks.  So I cut them off and put better trebles on, and have been far happier since!

I fish the size 5 and 7 the most out of all mine, and increasing the size of treble a couple sizes helps a lot, at least for walleye and lake trout. The smallest size I use for perch/crappie, so I do not go much bigger on that one.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:11 AM »
If you can get a long shanked treble or add a split ring between the treble and hook keeper on the bait it will help with hook ups as well - much easier to dehook a fish with that little bit of added length to boot

Catchin' Fish

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:46 PM »
If you can get a long shanked treble or add a split ring between the treble and hook keeper on the bait it will help with hook ups as well - much easier to dehook a fish with that little bit of added length to boot

might have to try this!

Go Beavers!

Offline Raynestorm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:13 PM »
Nothing wrong with trying longer shank or split ring, but if you are an aggressive jigger, you might find you hook your line a fair bit.  Give it a shot, but you will know what's wrong if you foul your hook.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2015, 12:13 PM »
Replace the treble with your favorite model and cut off the fore and aft single hooks.  I'm always amazed that something like 99% of the perch I catch eat the treble.  It's pretty nice that Rapala makes the treble hanger an open loop so you can change hooks easily.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Its pretty crappy they use a single split ring under the jigging shad raps instead of the fast snap like the original jigging raps :(

Catchin' Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.