The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New MN Members Check in Here!  (Read 173264 times)

Offline juangomer2011

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New MN Members Check in Here!
« Reply #810 on: Dec 11, 2017, 10:26 AM »
Anyone in the Rochester area that ever wants to go fishing, hit me up! There's a lot of nice lakes around and within an hour. Tight lines!

Offline Danger16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #811 on: Dec 12, 2017, 11:26 PM »
Hello All!

My name is Dane, 30- currently living in Minneapolis.  Ice fishing is a passion but finding time is difficult between work and grad school.  Looking forward to winter break and some good ice to spend a lot of time on the hard water.  Would be happy to head out with some new friends from IceShanty!
Live long and prosper (on ice)

Offline MNSTP

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Skol Vikings!
« Reply #812 on: Dec 13, 2017, 10:26 PM »
Hey guys! Been coming to ice shanty for years now and it is my go to spot when im stuck on a project or looking for some real insight. My name is Tony and I've been ice fishing my whole life. I'll go anywhere the fish are biting, but am generally within 50 miles of the Twin Cities. Pumped up to be apart of this community!

Offline Dave shapell dx3000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #813 on: Dec 17, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Hello,
        My name is Dave, I am a member in North Western Pennsylvania. My little brother and I enjoyed your great state back in 2008. We camped at hoodoo point and fished lake vermilion from shore for 5 days as well as harvested a black bear. We had a wonderful time and finally have a chance to come back i got a 3 day fishing permit and was looking to maybe get a chance to talk some fishing. i believe i have to make a few post to be able to see conditions. i am a retired paratrooper and i love to fish I am new to the sport this is my second ice season and here in PA we finally just got Unsafe Ice with a warm up ahead.

Offline EyeN8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #814 on: Dec 21, 2017, 03:42 PM »
New metro Ice fisherman. Enthusiastic but inexperienced. I am looking forward to honing some hard water skills this winter. I love fishing for walleye, and crappie.

Offline WZJ11Q5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #815 on: Dec 26, 2017, 06:00 PM »
Hello Everyone:  My name is Gary and I live in Savage, MN.  I've been ice fishing for a number of years but only get out a couple of times a year.  Looking forward to spending more time on the ice this year.

Offline tminus220

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #816 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Name is Tim. Moved here from Western Nebraska this summer. Live in downtown Minneapolis and trying to find some good metro lakes to hit as I am in school. Didn't get my john boat this summer so looking at getting out a bunch in the next couple weeks. Also looking forward to having more than a month of fishing. Hello all!

Offline Born

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #817 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:44 AM »
Hello all, my name is Dave.

I used to ride my bicycle 5 miles to ice fish coon lake. My shack was a 4x4 out house that had been converted to a spear shack, that was given to me. Would buy my suckers from Allen's market 2 or 3 at a time. They always gave me more than I asked for. That winter I caught 113 pike, and released most. This was when fish were rarely released. My largest was a 9.5# pike that got my picture in the Fish Finder mag. I caught that fish the second to last day of the season. The next day I found my shack moved off of my spot by some jealous adults. It so happened that my shack was in 11 fow in a area that was 9 fow.

I enjoy ice fishing along with a bunch of other outdoor pursuits.

Offline MNOilEng

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #818 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:09 AM »
Hey everyone, I am Cameron, grew up in Duluth and use to ice fish the Canadian side of Lake of the Woods often as a kid and teen.  Moved away for work and finally moved back up North to the Hibbing area.  Bought a house on a lake and the lakes up there are plentiful so trying to get back into ice fishing.  Boy has it changed in the last 15 years.  Looking for tips tricks and must haves to start back up again.  The property I bought came with an ice house and a heater so I am semi there with some of the gear!  Thanks in advance for all the help and advice!

Cameron

Offline mndavec

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #819 on: Jan 01, 2018, 12:57 PM »
My name’s Dave and I’m in the south metro, Dakota County area. I’ve been on a handful of trips north ice fishing on LoW but would like to start fishing more locally and more often. Just getting to know the surrounding lakes.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #820 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:12 PM »
My name’s Dave and I’m in the south metro, Dakota County area. I’ve been on a handful of trips north ice fishing on LoW but would like to start fishing more locally and more often. Just getting to know the surrounding lakes.

I'm in the dakota Co area also and often find myself heading west lot of lakes over there.

Offline Jayice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #821 on: Jan 02, 2018, 08:32 PM »
I'm new born and raised in Minnesota this my first year with ice fishing went out unprepared the not too long ago and got a little first nip trying to make sure I have right gear so I can get back out there hello everyone

Offline Jazzy_Rugger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #822 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:07 AM »
Howdy Tony here. 

Offline stjoeguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #823 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:17 PM »
I fish the Whitefish chain area with occasional trips to LOTW an Upper Red.  I'm just looking for a good site with current reports other than the usual Chamber of Commerce type "Come on up the fishing is great".

Offline bermanator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #824 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:41 PM »
Minneapolis western suburbs here. Fishing medicine lake with 0 luck so far. Relatively new to the sport so any pointers are appreciated. Thanks

Offline agrams123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #825 on: Jan 18, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Adam here. Fish mainly metro lakes like Calhoun and Harriet.  Go to LOTW once a year.  Been ice fishing for about 10 years

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #826 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:13 PM »
Minneapolis western suburbs here. Fishing medicine lake with 0 luck so far. Relatively new to the sport so any pointers are appreciated. Thanks

Being new I'd follow the crowds starting out, yes you can do better getting away from people but not easy if you a new.  Check out the phone app navionics for contour maps, only $10 and worth every penny.  Never fished medicine but guessing you are going after panfish. Wax worm and a small ice jig should work. 2-3lb test line. Make sure you can feel the jig with your rod, if it is too stiff look into an ultralight rod or spring bobber to clip on. Good luck. Make another thread if you continue to have bad luck and maybe we can help more.

Offline Mike Halonen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #827 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:00 PM »
Hey,  Mike here.  Cokato area.  Crappie guy mostly.

Offline Benwa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #828 on: Jan 26, 2018, 04:23 AM »
Ben here just started taking up fishing went to redlake ( Last trip we stayed in a portable -40 Brrrr ) a couple times looking to start fishing in the metro area . Going to go try Lake Independence Saturday morning no flasher ( slowly working on gear ) so I'll just be drilling holes and hope i can find a few

Offline iamtroyiam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #829 on: Jan 29, 2018, 11:37 AM »
I'm Troy and I'm old. I've been fishing since I was pretty young, I live in Tenstrike, on Gull Lake, which is between Bemidji and Blackduck. I like fishing small lakes driving from home in my Polaris Ranger, with my portable in the back. I recently bought an Ice Castle and now I like bringing the wife with. I don't fish hard, or even real seriously. I catch some fish, i drink some beer, i take some naps. Best time of my life!

Offline CJohnson27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #830 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:00 AM »
Good Morning Everyone!

My names Cody. I am in the Duluth area but will travel all over to find fish! I have been fishing for years but am really just finally diving deep into ice fishing. This season has been a expensive one but I have definitely started to reap the rewards already!

:tipup:

Offline Lamppa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #831 on: Feb 10, 2018, 07:49 AM »
My name is Dustin.  I hated ice fishing until last season.   I went with a neighbor and got hooked.   If you use a shelter and power auger, it’s fun!
I am 38, have 2 figure skaters, so occasional mornings are all I can get in.  I fished as much as possible this winter.   
Borrowed a clam nanook thermal, borrowed a10” propane jiffy and bought an ice 35.   So much fun.   
I live in Moorhead and fish a very close lake.   We have a camper in the campground that we purchased 3 years ago. 
I’m looking forward to posting vs lurking here. 

Offline 830king

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #832 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Hello Im Dan, 38 years from central MN. Pretty new to ice fishing so Im learning as I go. I like to catch crappies and sunfish....and walleye (but I'm kinda clueless to what to use for catching them on the ice). I can find and catch fish but they usually small and when I find nice size I can't catch more than 1 or 2....lol  We have a 8 year old daughter I try to get her and my wife out a few times a year when it's nice out. Here is my list of fishing equipment I currently own.....
1. Eskimo fatfish 949i
2. Nils 6" auger powered by a Milwaukee drill
3. Marcum vs.485 camera
4. Vexialr FL-8
5. Big buddy heater with hose to use a 20lb tank
6. Various rods and tackle....nothin fancy
7. An old beater s-10 blazer which all my stuff fits in the back and can be easily locked up😁

I'm a pretty active member on some automobile forums and I access them from my android on a Tapatalk app. Anything like that for this forum or is everybody just always logging in online?

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #833 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:54 PM »
Welcome to iceshanty, Dan.  I don't think there is tapatalk, but not sure. I just stay logged in continuous. Looks like you have a good list of equipment. Enjoy your stay at iceshanty, lots of info.

Offline Firstbuild

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #834 on: Sep 30, 2018, 06:56 PM »
Hi guys from Buffalo MN
I am building my first ice house.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #835 on: Sep 30, 2018, 08:27 PM »
Welcome to iceshanty, start a thread with your ice house build project and put lots of pictures of your progress, guys love to view these.

Offline jackcott

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #836 on: Oct 08, 2018, 08:13 PM »
Skol!

JackCott from Alex. Lifelong MN homeboy, ice fishing since age 5, biggest pull was a 38" northern on crappie setup from area lake. Great site, looking to learn new tricks and acquire plans for a Senco Style Folding Portable. God Bless.

Offline Fishermanmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #837 on: Oct 09, 2018, 06:50 PM »
I'm James new to member to the site although I've visited many times for various info. Not new to fishing, been fishing since I could hold a rod. Here to become more involved in the community also to share and learn ideas/inventions/tweaks/mods. :clap:
Hook em
      &
Cook em

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #838 on: Oct 11, 2018, 02:27 PM »
Welcome!

Nice to have you both here :thumbsup:

WS

Offline MaddMedic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #839 on: Oct 24, 2018, 04:18 PM »
MaddMedic here and yes I am a medic.
Fished all my life and just got into Ice Fishing last year after years of friends pestering me and taking me out occasionally. And when two give you portables to use, another a gas auger....Well no more excuses.
Love it.
Southern Minnesota and fish the Faribault area lakes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.