Author Topic: At what thickness do you feel comfortable with kids?  (Read 2329 times)

Offline tulenkot

• IceShanty Rookie
At what thickness do you feel comfortable with kids?
« on: Jan 31, 2015, 03:59 PM »
I have a 4 year old and was wondering at what point do you feel it's safe to take a young child out on the ice?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: At what thickness do you feel comfortable with kids?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2015, 04:34 PM »
A very difficult question of great concern.

There are many variables.

Type of ice : Crystal or the nasty refrozen slush on 1/2" of ice ?

The type of freeze - thaw cycles, since any ice formed.

Rainfall, yikes.

The size of holes in the area.

I'm sure you care for your child more than a fish many times over.

If you "Proof" the ice, it'll probably be fine, though it also depends of the child's activity level.

Good luck and stay safe.     ;)2

You may receive many more appropriate considerations, relating to your area if you would kindly:  FILL IN YOUR LOCATION, IN YOUR 'PROFILE !   

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2015, 11:54 AM »
Actually the kids will be more safe then you, so if you feel it's safe for you, it'll be safe for them.  Now, whatever you think is safe, you can double it when getting Mom to decide.  So that means, 12" of solid ice.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2015, 03:21 PM »
Knowing that kids tend to find danger where danger doesn't exist, I'd probably wait until there was a consistent 6 inches if not more.  I won't take a young kid on a body of water where you could have 10 inches in one spot and 20 feet away you could have 4 inches.   

Offline tulenkot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2015, 06:37 PM »
In SEPA right now we have ice, some of it over 5 inches, but most of the lakes aren't totally iced over. Throw in the rain we've had and you can see my concern. Last year we had a really cold year with a foot of ice and my son went on all our trips, but this year he makes me too nervous so far.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2015, 03:54 AM »
A minimum of 6 inches of good clear ice and even then I'd make them wear a life preserver just in case they fall into a hole.  Better safe than sorry.

Offline craiger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swedish steel is for real
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2015, 06:09 PM »
I usually stick to smaller ponds where moving water isn't an issue, so my concerns have more to do with the condition of the top of the ice.  I'm not taking them out if it's glare ice, nor would I expect them to enjoy 12" of snow with slush underneath.  Also, I wouldn't take them anywhere I haven't familiarized myself with first.  We have hidden hole syndrome out in my area now, so they're staying home. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.