Author Topic: DIY Ice Picks  (Read 16452 times)

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
DIY Ice Picks
« on: Dec 30, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Well, raining today(dang it!), so why not make something. I made these from items readily available from any store. You need 2 nails, 3/4" wood dowl, 2 bycycle grips, and a old telephone cord. Cut dowl to length of bycycle grip, drill 2 holes for nails(make a pattern so you make same holes on opposite dowl), insert dowls in grips(Tight fit), drill hole in other end of each dowl to accept phone  cord, cut nails to length(leave enough for inside and enough left to use as pick), dry fit everything for allignment, when satisfied, glue nails and phone cord in place, let dry. Very easy to make, and might save your life! Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
Re: DIY Ice Picks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2010, 04:40 PM »
So mint it's not even funny!!! Very nice smitty. Much better than my stupid orange ones!

+10! (Mods we need a rep system!)

Offline sawblade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Very nice

Offline dutch 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's no fish in this lake.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2010, 05:18 PM »
Nice job on the rig!Goin to the hardware store tomorrow for my friends' sake.Thanks :thumbsup:
Any day I get to play with my auger is a good day!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2010, 05:20 PM »
Nice job on the rig!Goin to the hardware store tomorrow for my friends' sake.Thanks :thumbsup:
I stated 3/4" dowl......I think mine are a hair bigger....get grips and test fit before buying your dowl, But I still think 3/4" will work. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2010, 05:35 PM »
Those are awesome for smooth ice. I never did understand how they work with a lot of snow on the ice. Thats why I've always carried my 12" nails ( huge and thick) on a shoe lace around my neck, Old School.

All i can picture is pounding snow and the pick not working.

Something to think about.

Happy Trails
"Fact is stranger than fish'n"

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2010, 05:45 PM »
Those are awesome for smooth ice. I never did understand how they work with a lot of snow on the ice. Thats why I've always carried my 12" nails ( huge and thick) on a shoe lace around my neck, Old School.

All i can picture is pounding snow and the pick not working.

Something to think about.

Happy Trails
I will never get in a dicussion wich is better or not, I'm just trying to promote a little safety and inspire the guys who don't have any, and it's better to have some type around your neck. Smitty

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2010, 05:58 PM »
I carry 2 Samurai swords with me on the ice for this purpose!!! (they work in 3' of snow)... but being a trained Ninja master helps too! We just lightly float across the thin spots (on a wire of course ;))

... but really, if you have an Arctic Armor suit... you don't really need these.

Please wear some sort of PFD when out on the ice, if not for your well being... for peace of mind for your loved ones!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2010, 06:01 PM »
I carry 2 Samurai swords with me on the ice for this purpose!!!... but being a trained Ninja master helps too! We just lightly float across the thin spots (on a wire of course ;))

... but really, if you have an Arctic Armor suit... you don't really need these.

Please wear some sort of PFD when out on the ice, if not for your well being... for peace of mind for your loved ones!
Again, this is for the people who don't have or can't afford the suit, and I bet more people don't have the suit than do, so better to have these around your neck than nothing. Smitty

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Again, this is for the people who don't have or can't afford the suit, better to have these around your neck than nothing. Smitty

... and as I said, please wear some sort of PFD!!! You can get lifejackets cheap at Wal-Mart... They may not be fashionable, but they can save your butt!

.. and heaven forbid, even if you do die of hypothermia... it makes the corpse easy to find and brings closure to your loved ones.

Getting back on the ice isn't nearly as challenging as not breathing a lung full of frigid water on the initial plunge and gasp for air of falling through the ice!!!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2010, 06:15 PM »
100% Agree.

Offline ancman31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:37 PM »
Great job Smitty! I came up with a similar design, but I used an old broomstick and some 16 penny nails with parachute cord to hold them together...Never thought about telephone cord, looks very cool.
Keep your stick on the ice...Im pullin for yah

Offline timbobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:32 PM »
been meaning to make a pair of my own, and am now properly inspired. Thanks Smitty!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:33 PM »
been meaning to make a pair of my own, and am now properly inspired. Thanks Smitty!

Great job Smitty! I came up with a similar design, but I used an old broomstick and some 16 penny nails with parachute cord to hold them together...Never thought about telephone cord, looks very cool.

Thanks for the nice comments guys! timbobber....I'm glad I could inspire you to make some of these for yourself, that was the whole purpose of why I posted this.....to inspire people to be safe out there. Thanks Smitty

Offline FishinJenn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ME! :)
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:33 PM »
Thanks! Looks good! :tipup:
Kids who hunt, fish and trap...dont mug little old ladies.

<span style='display:block !important; width: 170px; text-align: center; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 12px;'><a

Offline BMW20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:34 PM »
I carry 2 Samurai swords with me on the ice for this purpose!!! (they work in 3' of snow)... but being a trained Ninja master helps too! We just lightly float across the thin spots (on a wire of course ;))

Actually, I believe you still need to have them with you at all times. The Arctic Armor will float you but it won't pull you out of the water back onto safe ice. Imagine trying to grab hold of wet ice with your bare or gloved hands alone and then pulling your weight onto the safe ice. The Arctic Armor would probably make this easier due to the neutral buoyancy, but it can't provide "traction" to finish the job - this is where the picks come in, IMHO of course.

For the record, I own and wear Arctic Armor because I was fortunate enough to be in a position to afford it AND because I have children that depend on me - my picks are also always with me!

Offline gunnerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:46 PM »
I stated 3/4" dowl......I think mine are a hair bigger....get grips and test fit before buying your dowl, But I still think 3/4" will work. Smitty

Hand grips go on a 7/8" pipe.  So I would guess that's probably what you had for a dowel.  Great Idea though.  Looks way nicer than the plastic ones.
Gunnerdog

Offline Regulator99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:37 PM »
Actually, I believe you still need to have them with you at all times. The Arctic Armor will float you but it won't pull you out of the water back onto safe ice. Imagine trying to grab hold of wet ice with your bare or gloved hands alone and then pulling your weight onto the safe ice. The Arctic Armor would probably make this easier due to the neutral buoyancy, but it can't provide "traction" to finish the job - this is where the picks come in, IMHO of course.

For the record, I own and wear Arctic Armor because I was fortunate enough to be in a position to afford it AND because I have children that depend on me - my picks are also always with me!

My thoughts exactly.  Having both would be ideal.

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:05 AM »
As always Smitty great work. You rock

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:06 AM »
Do you have a picture of your picks Smitty? Thanks again for great ideas

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:07 AM »
Great job with the phone cord - quite upscale... ;D

Can't help but mention something related to the discussion of possibly yanking oneself out of the hole.

The best tip I ever saw was to 1) overcome of cold water shock during the first 10-20 seconds, the grab hold of ice (with or without picks) and kick your feet like you were swimming against M Phelps.

Doing so with get your body almost parellel to the ice surface and much easier to slide onto ice - vs trying to lift your body weight up and over the edge as you experience shock.

just my 2 cents worth  

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:49 AM »
great tip

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:32 PM »
Good looking ice picks !!!

Offline Team Lightning

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Proud Gawker of the BIKINI ICE FISHING TEAM !!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:56 PM »
That Smitty !!!!   Sure is costing me some money.....while is is saving me  A LOT OF MONEY !!!! 

Thanks Dude.

Offline jmh58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2011, 11:44 AM »
That Smitty !!!!   Sure is costing me some money.....while is is saving me  A LOT OF MONEY !!!! 

Thanks Dude.

Wish he was my neighbor!! :o  John ;D
A great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!  Lookee there....I got a bite!!

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2011, 01:45 PM »
$5.99 a set.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline d4ng3r3ux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Sep 29, 2012, 06:28 PM »
Well, raining today(dang it!), so why not make something. I made these from items readily available from any store. You need 2 nails, 3/4" wood dowl, 2 bycycle grips, and a old telephone cord. Cut dowl to length of bycycle grip, drill 2 holes for nails(make a pattern so you make same holes on opposite dowl), insert dowls in grips(Tight fit), drill hole in other end of each dowl to accept phone  cord, cut nails to length(leave enough for inside and enough left to use as pick), dry fit everything for allignment, when satisfied, glue nails and phone cord in place, let dry. Very easy to make, and might save your life! Smitty
(Image removed from quote.)

One problem, I cant find the cord on my cell phone

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Oct 02, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Frabill safety picks with guards on the points... $12.95. A lot safer than wearing those with the nails sticking out. No need to ever DIY a safety item... buy one, a GOOD one.. your life might depend on it.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 02, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Got the suit but still have two set's of spikes.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 10, 2012, 02:50 PM »
Frabill safety picks with guards on the points... $12.95. A lot safer than wearing those with the nails sticking out. No need to ever DIY a safety item... buy one, a GOOD one.. your life might depend on it.

(Image removed from quote.)

The nails are buried on the opposing handle's dowel while they're around your neck. 
Prayin' for cold

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.