Author Topic: Steel stud 1 5/8" ice wheel house build  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Firstbuild

• IceShanty Rookie
Steel stud 1 5/8" ice wheel house build
« on: Sep 30, 2018, 07:32 PM »
I am currently building a 8x12+4ft V. I am using 1 5/8" steel studs from menards. I am going to attach 4x10 aluminum .40 sheets right to the steel studs using 3m VHB tape. I will then have the walls and ceiling spray foamed(floor is already done). On the inside of the studs I will be using fur strips horizontally to help lock in the frame before paneling. Has anyone ever built one using this size stud, and if so were there any integrity issues with the frame flexing and twisting. This is my first build so any advice or comments would be great. Below is the build so far.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Steel stud 1 5/8" ice wheel house build
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2018, 12:37 PM »
I've framed thousands of walls with 1-5/8" studs, but not on trailers. They are strong as can be once you screw drywall on them! I like your idea of strapping the walls but also make sure you "X" brace the walls corner to corner and might not be a bad idea to put corner plates (think big triangles) at all the corners. I would also do the same to the roof framing. Like I said, metal stud framing is super strong, but only once you put sheathing on it. The strapping can work as sheathing, but "X" bracing is super important.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2018, 12:40 PM »
The spray foam adds a ton of strength to the structure of the build. Not sure I would hang a bed from a sidewall but under normal use it should be fine. Please post up your final weight.

Offline Firstbuild

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2018, 03:07 PM »
Thanks Doc for the X bracing idea. I had not considered that.

Offline Firstbuild

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2018, 03:11 PM »
XN yes I will not be loading the walls with anything but maybe a couple shelves. I am hoping if I can keep it light enough I could throw my Motorcycle in from time to time in the summer months. 3500lb axle. The welder said the frame weighs about 500lbs. The 8' studs weigh 1.97lbs per stud. I cut them to 6'10" so a tiny bit less.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2018, 03:22 PM »
Thanks Doc for the X bracing idea. I had not considered that.

Yeah, if you are going to bond your panels with 3M tape you can't rely on them for a diaphragm. Just need something to resist the walls from racking and X bracing would do the job just fine. You can probably just do the two side walls and the roof, they will act as shear walls. Oh, and make sure where the X braces meet the floor the track in that area is fastened down real good. You may even want to put some wood blocking inside the track and use through bolts instead of just screws. All the shear forces will be transferred to the floor in that area.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2018, 07:12 AM »
XN yes I will not be loading the walls with anything but maybe a couple shelves. I am hoping if I can keep it light enough I could throw my Motorcycle in from time to time in the summer months. 3500lb axle. The welder said the frame weighs about 500lbs. The 8' studs weigh 1.97lbs per stud. I cut them to 6'10" so a tiny bit less.

Is that a Miltona frame? My 8x16 was 780 lbs minus the axle arm assys.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2018, 07:21 AM »
That looks nice, looking forward to more pictures.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Firstbuild

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Yes it is a miltona frame.

Offline Firstbuild

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Doc, for the cross bracing I will not be a able to go corner to corner on the side walls. This is due to wheel wells being receded in whether inside or outside of the studs. Also the windows are in the way. Would making 2 smaller X braces on each of the 12 foot walls help? Or does it have to be corner to corner to give it the full integrity? Thanks.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2018, 02:12 PM »
Doc, for the cross bracing I will not be a able to go corner to corner on the side walls. This is due to wheel wells being receded in whether inside or outside of the studs. Also the windows are in the way. Would making 2 smaller X braces on each of the 12 foot walls help? Or does it have to be corner to corner to give it the full integrity? Thanks.

Anything is better than nothing. What is the inside finish? You said panels? I may be tempted to use 3/8" plywood and make sure you screw it quite well to create a solid diaphragm. Light gauge steel only get's its strength when it is sheathed with something, it's called a composite wall at that point. You just don't want it to rack because if you are holding on your exterior aluminum with 3M tape any racking will compromise the adhesion.

I would probably just X brace the biggest sections of wall you can do, but something structural on the interior may be beneficial too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.