New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Perch  (Read 1466 times)

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
Perch
« on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:41 AM »
I had some success perch fishing the past few days. What is your favorite knife to fillet those rascals?  With all the effort we put forth harvesting some for a meal, I often struggle to get all the meat from these tasty critters. 

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Perch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:47 AM »
Rapala electric knife
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2020, 11:12 AM »
What The Kracken said.

I have had mine for over 15 years.  What a difference it makes!  More than doubles my speed too.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2020, 12:41 PM »
Perch scales are surprisingly tough and hard to piece a electric knife makes quick work but a few will be hacked in process as a delicate hand is needed let the knife do the work

Offline fly_rodder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2020, 01:03 PM »
+1 on the rapala.  I use it to lop the fillets off and skin them, but I cut the ribs off using a regular fillet knife.  I could use the electric for that too, but I do a neater job with the regular knife.  I usually don't do more than 10-15 at time, but if I had 40-50, I'd be more inclined to just drive the electric. 

I've cut through the backbone more than once when I've tried to pick up the pace though.

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2020, 01:25 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I have tried to use an electric knife and often cut through the backBone like was mentioned.  I watched a YouTube video from Rogers Rigs do it in 45 seconds. Looks like a decent method and I like that little Rapala knife he uses. Obviously the more you do the better you get at the process.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2020, 03:10 PM »
I find the only time i cut through the backbone with the electric is if the fish is frozen and i am forcing things.

As mentioned, the more you practice at it, the better you get.  I do notice if i have a lot of fish to clean, my knife will be pretty warm (almost hot) at the end.  But i have had it a long time, so i am not surprised.  I imagine i will need to replace it one of these days.

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2020, 06:40 PM »
I have the Mr. Twister electric knife, like the one in the picture. I looked online for Electric Rapala fillet knife and there are many different ones. As TMIB mentioned I think it involves practice, but I struggle with wasting even more meat during the learning curve.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2020, 06:57 PM »
Mr twister and let knife do the work. When I first started I hacked up quite a few now I'm a seasoned pro maybe 1 in every 300 fish I mess up now
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Mossy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2020, 06:59 PM »
Bubba blade electric.  Pricey but worth it.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2020, 07:51 PM »
I like the Rapala hand fillet knife.  You can feel every bone and know when to ease off or apply pressure. 

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:59 PM »
I've had large rapala elect knife .....then Berkeley now use the mister twister and that seems to do the best and quickest job of them all...and yes with the elect knife it takes a little practice, just need to go slow at first. As far as roger's method that's good too...it's different but seems effective for him.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:09 PM »
i just sell perch whole  no need to clean them ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2020, 05:33 AM »
 I use a $12 Black&Decker first one jcrapped out after 16 years , I bought 2 at the time
 And some very old rapala fillet knives for trimming 

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2020, 06:54 AM »
I use a $12 Black&Decker first one jcrapped out after 16 years , I bought 2 at the time
 And some very old rapala fillet knives for trimming 

I started with same knife lasted 12 years. And I use a repeal fillet knife for trimming that I bought when i was 16. I know use the mr twister with rapala electric knife blades
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2020, 10:38 AM »
Rapala all the way i have old hand ones newer black handle ones and the electric ones ,,,,only one i dont care for is the 12 volt adapter one ,dosent have the power

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.