The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Crommets Bait  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Ross Lake Camps

• Team IceShanty Regular
Crommets Bait
« on: Jan 02, 2014, 03:40 PM »
Does anybody know anything about the new folks running Crommetts in Enfield this year?  Heard new people bought the shop and are selling bait. Just wondering if anybody has used them yet, and if so, what's the opinion on quality of bait and service in the shop.  Thanks.

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
Re: Crommets Bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2014, 03:52 PM »
I bought some shiners off them last weekend. He didn't have smelts in yet, but expected them soon. They are now called Baker's Dozen and true to the name I got 13 shiners for every dozen I bought. They gave me two contact numbers. One is the original Crommets number 732-4536 and another cell phone number, I believe, 280-0807. They have listed hours of 5AM-5PM, but he told me if I came thru earlier to give him a call and he could be there in minutes.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:35 PM »
I just helped him unload 2,000 at the local bait shop. They were very good looking bait and he was a very pleasant guy. He said he has all kinds of bait now. Would deff buy from him if ever in the area
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:48 PM »
Does anybody know if they will bag them with 02?

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:49 PM »
The ones he delivered today where bagged with oxygen.
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline dirt guy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • early bird gets the worm
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:57 PM »
Yes there's a young couple running it. Good smelts. Was out of redfins though. Had emeralds. Med small suckers. We lost one smelt all day out of three dozen. Had em in our frabil containers which we all know aren't insulated but none the less they survived -25 temps
They also carry a great assortment of hooks line lures and the essentials. Good group of people there.  :thumbsup:

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:04 PM »
The guy I talked to said he took over for crommets but he was maybe 50?

Offline dirt guy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • early bird gets the worm
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:09 PM »
The young couple there yesterday were early 30s I'd say. Very nice ppl

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:37 PM »
The young couple there yesterday were early 30s I'd say. Very nice ppl
When I was there it was the couple I talked to but they mentioned another partner in the business.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2014, 06:07 PM »
When I was there it was the couple I talked to but they mentioned another partner in the business.

Could have been the guy I talked to today.... Either or still good that that shop is under new ownership

Offline Ross Lake Camps

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2014, 12:21 AM »
Thanks for the info guys...appreciate it. Have always heard great stuff about Dags and several others, but they are a long haul downstate from us.  We try to get our customers closer to us before getting their bait. Tight lines and safe fishing to all of you ;)

Offline SPE2007SC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2014, 07:28 AM »
Not to hijack this thread but is Old Town Trading post a good option for hauling bait up to Ross?  I have heard pretty good things about their bait and I think that pack them in O2.

Offline Ross Lake Camps

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2014, 02:05 PM »
Old Town is who we referred our customers to last year after Mr. Crommet passed away in that car accident.  :(  It was towards the end of season, and they seemed to work out.  We heard a couple complaints about store hours if I remember correctly, but I can't specifically remember any other complaints or problems with the bait that we saw from them.  We didn't have enough interaction with them for us to say flock there or avoid them, but I wouldn't be afraid to call them, see if they have the bait needed for our lake, and if they will O2 bag it for you.  If yes, I think they are worth consideration.

Offline hardwater12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:53 AM »
Their bait is decent at the trading post, and they do bag it with o2, but it is a little pricey and the hours are not ideal, I am not sure If they do red fins or suckers, but they have nice smelts and pond shiners. The people are very nice, but are actually trying to sell the place.

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:12 AM »
Dave, at Old Town Trading Post opens the bait shop earlier than the store.  If you are unfamiliar with his operation, you may think the bait shop is closed when in fact it isn't, because the Maine Store is locked up without the lights on. You have to go to door on the right which goes directly into the Bait Annex in the early morning and not the main entrance.

IMHO his bait is the best bait I have ever purchased in Maine ...I will accept that he charges a bit more,  and it is agreed you can find bait less expensively, but you do not often find that Dave's bait will croak on you like the less expensive bait at other shops do.

He has spring fed raceways for his bait storage, and not tanks...that means he has continuous cold oxygenated water circulation with none of the problems associated with tank storage..... and he uses oxygen to bag it.

I did'nt know the shop was for sale...but I suppose like everything in Maine it would be for the right price and the right buyer.

Offline hardwater12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2014, 08:51 AM »
Hey thanks Cap for clearing that up about the times, I was not aware that he opened the bait shop earlier. I would have to agree with you on the bait, took 10 dozen to east grand last year and still had 2 dozen alive 3 weeks later.

Offline SPE2007SC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:44 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. Been reading this forum for yrs and decided to join up. I guess Old Town Trading Post it is for us!  I will call a week ahead of time since we will be buying 20 dozen or so. Thanks again!

Offline Ross Lake Camps

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Thanks for throwing in Cap.  Always trying to get the best info we can for our customers, and have multiple options.  Sounds like you've dealt with Old Town a lot.  We appreciate your insight!!

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2014, 03:35 PM »
Where is Crommets Bait located in Enfield?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.