Author Topic: Tip Downs/ Arctic Warriors  (Read 853 times)

Offline slazenger28

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip Downs/ Arctic Warriors
« on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:37 AM »
So I purchased a couple Arctic Warriors a couple years ago and I have yet to master them. I bought these because I wanted something that offers less resistance than tip ups. I have been targeting walleye and trout more lately and I thought this was the move.

Here's the issue.

I can't figure out how to get the flags to trip when my bail is wide open. The line just runs from the bail and the pole never tips down. The only time I've had any kind of success is when I manually wind the line around the spool tight the first two loops. This offers resistance till the two loops give.

I also have noticed after I catch a decent size fish, the line is wound tight on the spool. This sometimes makes the line come off the spool with difficulty when the next fish takes the bait.

I've also tried keeping the bale closed and the drag light as possible. To me, this offers more resistance than tip ups and its a total pain when I have a fish taking line and Im trying to tighten the drag before I hook the fish.

So to all my fellow Tip Down/Arctic Warrior owners, how do you handle this? Is there a specific kind of line that works well?

Offline BCice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip Downs/ Arctic Warriors
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:17 PM »
 Try putting a rubber band on the handle ahead of the reel. Open your bail and put a loop of line under the rubber band. When a fish hits your rod will go down, your flag will pop, then the fish will pull the loop of line from under the rubber band and he's running on an open bail. It will work for any dead rod set up, too. I like mono, personally. Really no need for a non-stretch line here.
Ron

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:23 AM »
A friend of mine has these, and had the same issue.

We solved it by attaching a set of bells .

Fish hits and the bells ring.

Good luck, and stay on top,

Wiener

Offline slazenger28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2010, 01:03 PM »
Thanks for the info guys! I'm gonna give your ideas a shot and report back. I really like the rubberband idea.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.