The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Kdrill drills??? Help please on the fence  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Catch em Keckins

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kdrill drills??? Help please on the fence
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:37 AM »
I got the k drill this year and love it. There is a lot of torque using augers and would either run an under spec’d drill to kill it and upgrade then or bite the bullet up front. Wait until Kittery Trading Post runs a 25-30% off sale the 8” is under $200 (their sales do not apply to augers but does cover k drill).

I like the drill+battery being separate from the auger technology since these companies get bought and gear ‘improved’ resulting in ‘needing’ to buy something new. The Ion is really nice but waiting for them to stop making older batteries or something to screw over their long time customers. Selling the wife on a new drill combo (M18 Fuel) is way easier than convincing her I need a new ice auger...
“A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.”  Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Poncho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2019, 10:44 AM »
I never did try the Eskimo pistol on the ice but I did inspect one at the shop.    Very light but it is made out of plastic!! The blades are metal but I just have to think that it is breakable.   Anyone have one?  Do you like it.   It got great reviews and Eskimo makes a fine product. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2019, 10:51 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:41 AM »
I never did try the Eskimo pistol on the ice but I did inspect one at the shop.    Very light but it is made out of plastic!! The blades are metal but I just have to think that it is breakable.   Anyone have one?  Do you like it.   It got great reviews and Eskimo makes a fine product.

Haven't used kdrill myself, but always thought it was plastic too.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Mar 19, 2019, 09:38 AM »
Haven't used kdrill myself, but always thought it was plastic too.

Flights are plastic, shaft is aluminum.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 21, 2019, 07:18 AM »
you'll get way more use out of a k-drill than an ion simply b/c you can use the drill part all year round.  depending on where you live in Mass, the ion is good for what 3 months?  realistically, how many of those days do you fish in 3 months?  this has been a really good season for ice....some years i'm lucky to get out 12 times...and I live in So. NH now.

if you mostly fish in Eastern Mass, I'd say get a drill adapter & lower half of a lazer hand auger (or similar) - that's the cheapest route for a short season.  I was drilling in NH last weekend & almost bottomed out my auger, but that's a very rare thing over the past few years.  Only other place that I've actually bottomed out my auger was in Maine fishing for pike.

if you live in Western Mass, you'll like a k-drill better b/c it's harder to bottom out.

unless you ice fish a ton or live in western mass or guide for a living, there's no way you need an Ion.  it's just going to sit in your basement for 9 months per year.

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 21, 2019, 07:28 AM »
you'll get way more use out of a k-drill than an ion simply b/c you can use the drill part all year round.  depending on where you live in Mass, the ion is good for what 3 months?  realistically, how many of those days do you fish in 3 months?  this has been a really good season for ice....some years i'm lucky to get out 12 times...and I live in So. NH now.

if you mostly fish in Eastern Mass, I'd say get a drill adapter & lower half of a lazer hand auger (or similar) - that's the cheapest route for a short season.  I was drilling in NH last weekend & almost bottomed out my auger, but that's a very rare thing over the past few years.  Only other place that I've actually bottomed out my auger was in Maine fishing for pike.

if you live in Western Mass, you'll like a k-drill better b/c it's harder to bottom out.

unless you ice fish a ton or live in western mass or guide for a living, there's no way you need an Ion.  it's just going to sit in your basement for 9 months per year.

What he said. Picked up the kdrill and a m18 fuel hammer drill will never go back to gas. So much free space and weight saving in the sled haven’t had a problem with it yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.