The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Onota Ice  (Read 1777 times)

Offline reKor11

• IceShanty Rookie
Onota Ice
« on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:44 AM »
Hey guys, heading to Onota on Saturday/Sunday.  Obviously got some warm weather today and tomorrow, but wanted to know if anyone has been on there recently and could give a quick ice report.  Trying to decide whether to bring quad or not.  Good luck to everyone fishing this weekend!

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Onota Ice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:56 AM »
I was on the ice yesterday in my car - prolly for the last time, ramp was softening up pretty good - lots of ice (17”) for quad - you should be able to access the ice in a quad if not a car, edges will be only question -

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2019, 12:46 PM »
I was on the ice yesterday in my car - prolly for the last time, ramp was softening up pretty good - lots of ice (17”) for quad - you should be able to access the ice in a quad if not a car, edges will be only question -
On it now. Measuring over 20" for me..
Place is packed

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2019, 01:07 PM »
I'm there as well. In the silver Nissan  @). plenty of trucks on here. Would expect it to be ok for a quad on the  weekend. Just be cautious of course
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2019, 01:12 PM »
On it now. Measuring over 20" for me..
Place is packed

Ugh, its become Buel 2.0.
westernmas on the finder

Offline reKor11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2019, 01:18 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.  Yes, it has been pretty packed the past couple times I have been out.  Good luck out there.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2019, 01:37 PM »
Ugh, its become Buel 2.0.

Other way around.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2019, 04:09 PM »
And come open water time they will be all gone and the fish will be hungry  ;D

Offline reKor11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2019, 01:23 PM »
Saw a few groups fishing on foot yesterday out from the launch, does anybody have an ice report from this week?  Checking ice myself tomorrow and hoping to fish Saturday, but trying to figure out if the quad should stay in the garage.  Little wary of going out tomorrow checking ice in the snow/wind and not being able to see ice conditions. Thanks!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2019, 01:32 PM »
Saw a few groups fishing on foot yesterday out from the launch, does anybody have an ice report from this week?  Checking ice myself tomorrow and hoping to fish Saturday, but trying to figure out if the quad should stay in the garage.  Little wary of going out tomorrow checking ice in the snow/wind and not being able to see ice conditions. Thanks!
Keep the wheeler at home. Good spots u can walk to fine. Some stuff really opening up there. Edges and big cracks are getting torn open. I think there's enough ice for a wheeler on 90% of the lake..its the 10% thatll kill ya
Was still lots of ice on Tuesday

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2019, 01:34 PM »

Plenty of ice to fish - I agree though, leave the wheeler at home - just not worth it this time of year, especially after the rain

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2019, 02:19 PM »
Good solid 16" as of last weekend.  Take it for what you will.

Offline happycrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2019, 05:06 PM »
I was there Tuesday afternoon.   Saw full size pickup driving across ice. He was getting off and on via the grass next to the launch.

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2019, 05:18 PM »
I was there Tuesday afternoon.   Saw full size pickup driving across ice. He was getting off and on via the grass next to the launch.

Sounds like someone was looking for a bad time

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2019, 05:27 PM »
Ya hes there a lot. There was still plenty of ice for a truck honestly. Was just a matter of how brave u are at the ramp. Not saying I would have done it. But he has been out there a lot he lives down the road. He chatted with the group I joined  for a while.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2019, 06:40 PM »
Ya hes there a lot. There was still plenty of ice for a truck honestly. Was just a matter of how brave u are at the ramp. Not saying I would have done it. But he has been out there a lot he lives down the road. He chatted with the group I joined  for a while.

Experience trumps inexperience.  I bet he had a good time.  I know I do.  If I sink a truck...oh well.  Just like I don't walk on the ice to worry about going through, same goes with the truck.  Besides pulling up to groups I dont know thinking Matt's in the group is the best.

Offline reKor11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2019, 09:35 AM »
Thanks for the info!  Good luck if you are heading out

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.