The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Gas augers  (Read 7509 times)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Gas augers
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2022, 11:05 AM »

What happens when you run out of diesel or propane for your beloved generator? 

The Amish Mafia wants to know.

Fireplace and candles. Just like the ol' pioneers.  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 17, 2022, 12:01 PM »

What happens when you run out of diesel or propane for your beloved generator? 

The Amish Mafia wants to know.

It takes regular gas, so I'll just go to the gas station and fill up my 5 gal cans.................. ......haven't had a problem in the 40+ years I have been buying gas!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 17, 2022, 12:15 PM »
amen...

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #33 on: Feb 17, 2022, 01:44 PM »
I guess along with his generator he'll be sitting in the dark.

But his blackout won't begin for at least 3 or 4 days after yours.  Without a generator you'll have been sittin in the dark since less than half a second after the grid went down. 

Better make sure your kerosene powered computer and TV up and runnin before the next outage...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Feb 17, 2022, 01:52 PM »
Bet he wasn't drivin' to school in the 70's during the OPEC crisis either........ ::)

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 17, 2022, 01:54 PM »

Screaming for vengeance  for me!!!!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 17, 2022, 02:29 PM »
Bet he wasn't drivin' to school in the 70's during the OPEC crisis either........ ::)

Nope- but I remember the odd/even days at the gas station when my parents were filling up their car. You could still get gas...............just every other day.  ;). Kinda like what happened during Hurricane Sandy..............you might not be able to get it where you were used to, but you could get it somewhere if you needed it.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 17, 2022, 02:31 PM »
I remember that. I was vary young.  ::)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #38 on: Feb 17, 2022, 02:40 PM »
I remember when you could buy only 10 gallons at a time at a station in Colorado.
When you crossed into Wyoming you could fill your tanks. There was no real gas shortage.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 17, 2022, 03:02 PM »
I get grief from my buddies over my 31 year old Jiffy 30 that weighs 39 pounds. I tell them they’re soft and to use the “lady’s room” tree on the shore to pee.
 But 2 pulls at the start of the season and she roars still with the original original carb. I could never part with her.
  Besides, I like making her scream as the yuppies cross country ski by me; I can see the look of pure disgust.

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 17, 2022, 05:12 PM »
Ah Hell! I’m turning a 40 year old 8” mora by hand. I guess I’m saving the planet  but it’s killing me. I have gas (Old Jiffy) that works great but it’s heavy and most years ice isn’t so thick.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 17, 2022, 05:36 PM »
Besides, I like making her scream as the yuppies cross country ski by me; I can see the look of pure disgust.

Ok- you get a “pass” chapru (for making the yuppies scream!)   ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Feb 17, 2022, 05:43 PM »
Hell, kick over their cups of Starbucks Latte's on their LL Bean booties and you'll have a pack of screaming  meemie yuppies on yer hands...

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 17, 2022, 06:22 PM »
Thank you for the “pass” RuttNutt. It’s nice to know that making yuppies cringe is one of the few, appreciated, redeeming qualities this grouchy old guy has left.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 17, 2022, 06:24 PM »
I bought a Strikemaster 4 stroke ,Honda engine about 12 yeaars ago. Electric augers were just something new into the market. I wish I had bought an electric one then. But my Honda does the job just fine. I only take my gas one if the ice 8" or more. Cutting by hand is good exercise  :flex:
I have the same set up capt., and couldn’t be happier with it…especially on 12”+ ice! I use Tru-Fuel 4/stroke, and she runs like a top. Weight is manageable as well for an O.G. like me!
Also have 6” Nils…use by hand on early ice, and with a Milwaukee Fuel conversion later on until the ice gets thicker! Love to hear that familiar “growl” of the 4-banger.  :flex:
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #45 on: Feb 17, 2022, 06:59 PM »
I have the same set up capt., and couldn’t be happier with it…especially on 12”+ ice! I use Tru-Fuel 4/stroke, and she runs like a top. Weight is manageable as well for an O.G. like me!
Also have 6” Nils…use by hand on early ice, and with a Milwaukee Fuel conversion later on until the ice gets thicker! Love to hear that familiar “growl” of the 4-banger.  :flex:
I have the same gas auger as you. Not too heavy for me and I'm pushing 79 YO.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 18, 2022, 06:48 AM »
We just made the switch to an ION and will be putting the Jiffy up for sale soon. I am not ashamed to say that I am tired of lugging the Jiffy around.

Offline fisher 74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 18, 2022, 01:23 PM »
I would never part with my gas auger never never never, the benefits of the gas auger is way better than electric

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 18, 2022, 04:05 PM »
If you havn't owned an electric you would change your mind. I retired my gas augar 9 years ago and bought a ION in 2013. I have drilled many holes with it lately in 16 inches ice with no problem.It has the same battery that came with it and replaced the blades just once.It starts as soon as you push the buttoncuts thru in seconds no gas or oil mix needed no fumes,no spark plug oe replacment cord.This discussion is like the Ford,Chevy,Dodge argument its matter of personal opinion But if you ever do use one you will see how efficent they really are.

Offline Mingo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 18, 2022, 08:39 PM »
I will be purchasing an electric when my strike master gas finally goes kaput. As long as it keeps running, I have other upgrades I would like to add to my ice fishing arsenal. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 18, 2022, 09:09 PM »
No argument here between either camp. I use Fuel/Octane rigs for most of the season but I love getting my Tanaka out once or twice every year.  A fresh edge on the Nils from Frank and running about 80:1 with the Amsoil.  That baby just crushes 8" holes!  I'm 59 and grew up with One Arm Bandits and Jiffy 30's for years.  They were heavy but are also are near and dear to my heart.  I have a lot of memories from 45-50 years ago and most of em started with a Jiffy banging out holes to hang Beaver Dams for Pike. I'll always have a gas rig and will leave it to somebody who appreciates it when I check out.

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 18, 2022, 09:10 PM »
Went with an ION 2 years ago, no regrets! Started my fishing with a spud after that, my father bought a spoon.

Offline Arkansaspete2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 19, 2022, 07:26 AM »
The old jiffy sits in the shed in hopes that the days when the ice on the Pocono lakes is 2 ft thick again. A/P :tipup:

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 20, 2022, 05:49 AM »
We used the ION gen2 yesterday for the first time, that thing is a beast, so we now have a Jiffy 30 for sale. That thing went through 11" of ice like nothing. We have the Jiffy for 21 years and it has treated us well but let's be honest it is a pain in the butt. Our only regret is that we should have made the switch sooner. We still get to piss of the yuppies by blasting our music on the ice!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #54 on: Feb 20, 2022, 06:08 AM »
Im no yuppie, but rather hear a gas auger than someone else music out there.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #55 on: Feb 20, 2022, 07:12 AM »
Im no yuppie, but rather hear a gas auger than someone else music out there.

Imagine if this bird lived near frozen lakes..... or near Doc. :woot:   :roflmao:

Offline shaved ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 20, 2022, 10:03 AM »
like they said in nam  THERE;S  NOTHING LIKE THE SMELL OF TWO STROKE OIL IN THE MORNING   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 20, 2022, 10:12 AM »
I have a one arm bandit, a dril clam plate combo, and a hand auger..... I love the sound of the one arm bandit.... But i have too much ice fishing gear and i havent used it in 2 years because it overloads my sled and i dont wanna drag a sherman tank lol.... The drill is easier... But it doesnt have that roar.... Lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Feb 20, 2022, 10:14 AM »
I have a one arm bandit, a dril clam plate combo, and a hand auger..... I love the sound of the one arm bandit.... But i have too much ice fishing gear and i havent used it in 2 years because it overloads my sled and i dont wanna drag a sherman tank lol.... The drill is easier... But it doesnt have that roar.... Lol

;D

Offline trophysteve58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 20, 2022, 10:33 AM »
WELL I JUST BOUGHT THE STRIKE MASTER 40, AND I LIKE IT BUT IT WONT REPLACE MY 4 STROKE STRIKE MASTER POWER AUGER. I WAS UP THE MOUNTAINS ABOUT 6 TIMES AND THE ICE WAS REALLY THICK THIS YEAR MEASURED AT 15 INCHES, AND WITH THE ELECTRIC AUGER I WOULD DRILL ABOUT 50 HOLES BEFORE IT LOST POWER. BUT WHEN I TOOK THE BATTERY OFF AND PUT IT IN THE WARM BAG IT WOULD CHARGE UP A NOUGH AND I WAS ABLE TO DRILL ABOUT 40 MORE HOLES IF NEEDED. SO ITS GOOD ENOUGH FOR AROUND HERE BUT IF I WAS GOING ON A TRIP I WOULD BRING MY 4 STROKE.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.