New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827231 times)

Offline jennsater

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #8220 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:03 PM »
was wondering if anyone fished today wanted to bring wheeler out in am if ice was safe...thanks all

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8221 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:09 PM »
Went out of Jewell today for awhile.  Dead sea for us over there.  I had one bite (missed it) and greenhead got 1- 10" perch.  Marked next to nothing.  We fished from 11' out to 36'.  I measured the ice at approximately 16" total.  Only a couple other guys out there.   Wonder if they did any better?

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8222 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:11 PM »
I think there's plenty of ice for a wheeler still, but the gas holes, cracks and shoreline could be an issue depending on where you are.  Time to very careful now.  Things are changing fast.

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8223 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Im not sure yet. Im probably going to make some with that handle and some with a 5-6in cork. That handle set up alone cost me 22$ when the cork would cost a few. I have a hard time justifying the price some guys get on rods that cost little and are junk that you can get a lot better off the shelf. But I wont worry about that...

Good work ain't cheap. Cheap work ain't good.
It'll eat.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8224 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:40 PM »
Went out of Jewell today for awhile.  Dead sea for us over there.  I had one bite (missed it) and greenhead got 1- 10" perch.  Marked next to nothing.  We fished from 11' out to 36'.  I measured the ice at approximately 16" total.  Only a couple other guys out there.   Wonder if they did any better?

I went out of Apps yesterday but didn't go out to where everyone else was. Same story. Fished 8' to 41'. Marked nothing in less than 30'. Hit one hole with walleyes, moved off them of course, and one with a 7" perch. Dead as can be.

Offline DukeieM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lets make some YAK tracks!
« Reply #8225 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Anyone out of Taft today? Heading out in the am walking. Blew work off for one last hoorah!
1 more fish and 1 more beer!

Offline DukeieM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lets make some YAK tracks!
« Reply #8226 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:12 PM »
 :o ??? Gonna try our marks but never been out there this late.
1 more fish and 1 more beer!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8227 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:18 PM »

hey A-Tom-MIC been on flats for a few days and your right tough to leave them alone  ;D did a nice batch of Sunnies today , and DC I did make up for yesterday , but they only averaged .62 lbs a piece down from my last catch of .66 a piece 2 days ago  :o , only half old school today , cheated and used the graph
and 2 DEC vehicle's were watching from shore  with only 10 guys on the ice where I was at

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #8228 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:21 PM »

Waldo wanted me to post this pressure crack that separated and goes from muskrat bay towards big bay.

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #8229 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:27 PM »
hey A-Tom-MIC been on flats for a few days and your right tough to leave them alone  ;D did a nice batch of Sunnies today , and DC I did make up for yesterday , but they only averaged .62 lbs a piece down from my last catch of .66 a piece 2 days ago  :o , only half old school today , cheated and used the graph
and 2 DEC vehicle's were watching from shore  with only 10 guys on the ice where I was at
Atta boy Fred  ;D

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8230 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:27 PM »

Like I said... "some days the dog, some the hydrant". You were wedged in a rut yesterday, I knew you'd get out.  ;D We had 9lbs of fillets after giving 25 fish to our ol' timmer buddy. He had a place in Messenger and gave us a key till he sold the place a few years back. Hes in his 80's and cant get on the ice any more....

Offline crappiekiller315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • THATS HOW I ROLL SUCKA'S
« Reply #8231 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:50 PM »
hey coach I'd say give him an atta- boy but then again he did forget to grab someone yesterday on the way 
why is it everytime i start catchin fish a GREMLIN pop's up in my hole

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8232 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:59 PM »
hey coach I'd say give him an atta- boy but then again he did forget to grab someone yesterday on the way
  :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: Next time he drives by i will give him one of these ;D
:woot:

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #8233 on: Mar 30, 2014, 07:13 PM »
  :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: Next time he drives by i will give him one of these ;D
:woot:
:woot: :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Wayne W.

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8234 on: Mar 30, 2014, 07:15 PM »
And here is his certificate! :woot:

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #8235 on: Mar 30, 2014, 07:34 PM »
hey A-Tom-MIC been on flats for a few days and your right tough to leave them alone

(: They are fun, I was leaving limits of perch alone when crossing the crack wasn't so bad lol
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8236 on: Mar 30, 2014, 07:50 PM »
lot of muddy water  pouring into the  lake  now .....

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8237 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:09 PM »
lot of muddy water  pouring into the  lake  now .....

That's for sure. Oneida creek looks like chocolate milk. That water is going to come up fast. Hopefully we can get a couple nights below freezing to slow it down a little.

I wouldn't mind getting one more trip in but if not its been a great season. We have had over 3 months of good ice. Incredible! We will be talking about this winter for a long time.

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8238 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:34 PM »

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #8239 on: Mar 31, 2014, 03:33 AM »
  look at north branch of my river on the tug Oldtimer.  http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv?site_no=04249200   6400cfs going in but there only running 750cfs at my house , I better start sand bagging now if this how the power company is gonna run the water all spring.  saw Oneida crick was at 4500cfs yesterday  .... yikes.  sent a request too channel nine news too contact Brookfield power too see why they won't stay on top of the melt, see what they say later.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8240 on: Mar 31, 2014, 04:36 AM »
river  has  turned  brown and on the rise   all the  streams  running in are  flooded   

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8241 on: Mar 31, 2014, 06:00 AM »
I agree nice guy (not sarcasm either), he gave me a ticket and acted like he really didn't want to. I forgot my license and when he pulled up my info he said I never purchased one, he even had me convinced till I called the shop where I bought it. I told him I felt the DEC does a good job and to have a good day, he was doing his job alone in a field of many anglers.

Much more behind the scene work comes out of these guys as well as the best biology management on Lake Ontario IMO

Tom
He asked us if we were on iceshanty and if we would post that he nabbed those 3 guys for him!! Lol
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8242 on: Mar 31, 2014, 06:02 AM »
Nice fishing with u Eddie and Adam! Also was a pleasure to meet Tim Dog yesterday, real nice guy!
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline hollywood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8243 on: Mar 31, 2014, 07:10 AM »
Coach- you've given so many to others, I figured it was time you got one for yourself, enjoy it!  ;D

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8244 on: Mar 31, 2014, 09:05 AM »
Thank's buddy!  @) ;D

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #8245 on: Mar 31, 2014, 09:39 AM »
Way to stay on em boys!   Wish I was closer to the lake, but after 10 straight weeks back and forth from the Buf to the lake my slush fund finally went dry.  Got on a couple amazing bites around here, then put all my stuff away last week.  You guys be super careful out there now! I know there's still some pretty thick ice in most spots, but things are changing fast right now. Just because you made it out in the morning, does not necessarily mean you will make it back in. I remember just a few years ago we walked out on what we thought was still solid thick ice one mid March morning out of Taft. It was 20 degrees out and we were just on that very ice 4 days before with our machines. During the 4 days we weren't on the ice, there was some mild weather that we thought would just soften the top of the 14" rock hard ice up. So we just decided to play it safe, leave the machines home and hoof it out for one last hurah. Well that we did, we walked out to just south of Willard Island at  first light with no issues whatsoever.  We pulled our augers out and drilled holes, that's where it got scary.  Wed basically spun our hand screws around 2-3 times and PUSHED them through the remaining ice!! :o......The hair stood up on the back of our necks! Then we just figured it was just that area that was deteriorated so badly and sat and fished for about an hour and a half. During that time the air temps warmed into the mid 30's and we decided we had better get off the ice, we just didn't feel real good being out there... So with that the 4 of us being about 50 yards apart started making our way back in.......The 1/4 mile walk ended up taking us a full hour!! EVERY few steps ALL of us would take we would put a leg through!  So we baby stepped it all the way back to the shore and kissed the ground when we arrived! We headed back to Cleveland and hung out for a couple hours regaining our composure in total disbelief of what we had just encountered and were able to make our way through safely, it was a miracle! Well after hearing the beach was still pretty intact and deciding to fish the evening down there we stopped in Apps to talk to Rick for a bit before leaving. After telling him of our stupidity that morning and the nightmare that ensued, he looked us in the eyes and said,...." ALL THAT ICE YOU GUYS WERE WALKING ON IS GONE!!!!"  We looked at each other and said no way!  So he said look for yourselves, so we hoped in the truck and took a ride. Sure enough, there wasn't a CUBE on ice left out there from Bernhards Bay all the way down to Constantia!!  That GARBAGE we had JUST walked across 2 hours before was GONE!!! Whitecaps as far as the eyes could see!
Just wanted to share the dumbest move I ever made on late season ice with you all.
Moral of the story?  It doesn't matter how good the conditions were a couple days ago, they could change fast and be deadly in a matter if minutes!

PDF's, ropes, picks and not traveling alone are at the top of your list right now out there!  Be safe boys and see you all on MFF.   
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8246 on: Mar 31, 2014, 10:11 AM »
  look at north branch of my river on the tug Oldtimer.  http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv?site_no=04249200   6400cfs going in but there only running 750cfs at my house , I better start sand bagging now if this how the power company is gonna run the water all spring.  saw Oneida crick was at 4500cfs yesterday  .... yikes.  sent a request too channel nine news too contact Brookfield power too see why they won't stay on top of the melt, see what they say later.

Oneida creek flow has dropped a lot but Fish creek at Taburg is still ripping and with the warm temp will keep rising..  Could get another ice jam in the canal at the beach if it gets much higher...

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #8247 on: Mar 31, 2014, 10:15 AM »
Nice fishing with u Eddie and Adam! Also was a pleasure to meet Tim Dog yesterday, real nice guy!
Great fishin with you too bro, did a bite ever develop at the seed hole LOL  :woot: :woot:

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #8248 on: Mar 31, 2014, 11:05 AM »
Way to stay on em boys!   Wish I was closer to the lake, but after 10 straight weeks back and forth from the Buf to the lake my slush fund finally went dry.  Got on a couple amazing bites around here, then put all my stuff away last week.  You guys be super careful out there now! I know there's still some pretty thick ice in most spots, but things are changing fast right now. Just because you made it out in the morning, does not necessarily mean you will make it back in. I remember just a few years ago we walked out on what we thought was still solid thick ice one mid March morning out of Taft. It was 20 degrees out and we were just on that very ice 4 days before with our machines. During the 4 days we weren't on the ice, there was some mild weather that we thought would just soften the top of the 14" rock hard ice up. So we just decided to play it safe, leave the machines home and hoof it out for one last hurah. Well that we did, we walked out to just south of Willard Island at  first light with no issues whatsoever.  We pulled our augers out and drilled holes, that's where it got scary.  Wed basically spun our hand screws around 2-3 times and PUSHED them through the remaining ice!! :o......The hair stood up on the back of our necks! Then we just figured it was just that area that was deteriorated so badly and sat and fished for about an hour and a half. During that time the air temps warmed into the mid 30's and we decided we had better get off the ice, we just didn't feel real good being out there... So with that the 4 of us being about 50 yards apart started making our way back in.......The 1/4 mile walk ended up taking us a full hour!! EVERY few steps ALL of us would take we would put a leg through!  So we baby stepped it all the way back to the shore and kissed the ground when we arrived! We headed back to Cleveland and hung out for a couple hours regaining our composure in total disbelief of what we had just encountered and were able to make our way through safely, it was a miracle! Well after hearing the beach was still pretty intact and deciding to fish the evening down there we stopped in Apps to talk to Rick for a bit before leaving. After telling him of our stupidity that morning and the nightmare that ensued, he looked us in the eyes and said,...." ALL THAT ICE YOU GUYS WERE WALKING ON IS GONE!!!!"  We looked at each other and said no way!  So he said look for yourselves, so we hoped in the truck and took a ride. Sure enough, there wasn't a CUBE on ice left out there from Bernhards Bay all the way down to Constantia!!  That GARBAGE we had JUST walked across 2 hours before was GONE!!! Whitecaps as far as the eyes could see!
Just wanted to share the dumbest move I ever made on late season ice with you all.
Moral of the story?  It doesn't matter how good the conditions were a couple days ago, they could change fast and be deadly in a matter if minutes!

PDF's, ropes, picks and not traveling alone are at the top of your list right now out there!  Be safe boys and see you all on MFF.
very well put John ;)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #8249 on: Mar 31, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Coach- you've given so many to others, I figured it was time you got one for yourself, enjoy it!  ;D

Reminds me of the one framer where there is a guy standing on the ledge of a very high building...getting ready to jump...when another guy, with the phone in his hand, yells out the window..."Dr. Kervorkian recommends a full gainer with one and a half twists!" :woot: :woot:
Wayne W.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.