New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827217 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #8160 on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:47 PM »
Great pictures and great job Snag...   You just keep doing what your doing so we can all enjoy it... 
Thank you for sharing another great season with us...   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #8161 on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:49 PM »

Hey nice meeting you Pman, your a hell of a diehard, walking 2.3 miles after having a heart attack yrs ago, that's really something. it really is.  Nice work man, wish I owned a machine I would of gave you a lift but as you could see I was gonna be walkin too if someone hadn't offered me a ride.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8162 on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:52 PM »
Wow nice jumbos

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8163 on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:53 PM »
Great pictures and great job Snag...   You just keep doing what your doing so we can all enjoy it... 
Thank you for sharing another great season with us...   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

oh boy what happened today, I don't own a cell and haven't read reports yet.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8164 on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:55 PM »
Dang! Two wall hangers, my taxidermy bill would have doubled. ;D  Congrats!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8165 on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Nice reports guys!
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8166 on: Mar 29, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Pman, 2.3 miles out and back, I'd say your on the mend and getting done too! Congrats! :thumbsup:

I'm not up to that kind of walk yet. I'm hoping on dropping 20-30lbs and doing a lot of walking so I can get in on that early ice next season. ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8167 on: Mar 29, 2014, 09:05 PM »
Nice jumbos Shane. Pman that is nuts! It was a good morning for walking....but that is still nuts! Great job!!!

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8168 on: Mar 29, 2014, 09:09 PM »
Pman, 2.3 miles out and back, I'd say your on the mend and getting done too! Congrats! :thumbsup:

I'm not up to that kind of walk yet. I'm hoping on dropping 20-30lbs and doing a lot of walking so I can get in on that early ice next season. ;D

2.3 out, 4.6 out and back.

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8169 on: Mar 29, 2014, 09:27 PM »
Interesting ice stuff from Owasco thread.

How Lake Ice Melts

A wonderful description of how lake ice melts away appeared on the web blog "Air Mass", hosted by the Star Tribune's Bill McAuliffe. Ed Swain, of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency describes the process of freezing and thawing lakes.

In the late fall, the lake loses heat to the atmosphere, and then on a day or night when the wind is not blowing, ice forms. The ice gets thicker as long as the lake can continue to lose heat.
    In most Januaries and Februaries, snow both reflects sunlight and insulates the lake. With a thick snow layer, the lake neither gains nor loses heat. The bottom sediment is actually heating the lake water slightly over the winter, from stored summer heat.
    Around March, as the air warms and the sun gets more intense, the snow melts, allowing light to penetrate the ice. Because the ice acts like the glass in a greenhouse, the water beneath it begins to warm, and the ice begins to melt FROM THE BOTTOM.
    When the ice thickness erodes to between 4 and 12 inches, it transforms into long vertical crystals called "candles." These conduct light even better, so the ice starts to look black, because it is not reflecting much sunlight.
    Warming continues because the light energy is being transferred to the water below the ice. Meltwater fills in between the crystals, which begin breaking apart. The surface appears grayish as the ice reflects a bit more light than before.
    The wind comes up, and breaks the surface apart. The candles will often be blown to one side of the lake, making a tinkling sound as they knock against one another, and piling up on the shore. In hours, a sparkling blue lake, once again!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8170 on: Mar 29, 2014, 09:34 PM »
Yikes! 4.6 out and back! Pman, you are getting it done, on both ends! That's health-wise and fish-wise, Congratulations again! :thumbsup:
  Keep America Godly...

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8171 on: Mar 29, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Interesting ice stuff from Owasco thread.

How Lake Ice Melts

A wonderful description of how lake ice melts away appeared on the web blog "Air Mass", hosted by the Star Tribune's Bill McAuliffe. Ed Swain, of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency describes the process of freezing and thawing lakes.

In the late fall, the lake loses heat to the atmosphere, and then on a day or night when the wind is not blowing, ice forms. The ice gets thicker as long as the lake can continue to lose heat.
    In most Januaries and Februaries, snow both reflects sunlight and insulates the lake. With a thick snow layer, the lake neither gains nor loses heat. The bottom sediment is actually heating the lake water slightly over the winter, from stored summer heat.
    Around March, as the air warms and the sun gets more intense, the snow melts, allowing light to penetrate the ice. Because the ice acts like the glass in a greenhouse, the water beneath it begins to warm, and the ice begins to melt FROM THE BOTTOM.
    When the ice thickness erodes to between 4 and 12 inches, it transforms into long vertical crystals called "candles." These conduct light even better, so the ice starts to look black, because it is not reflecting much sunlight.
    Warming continues because the light energy is being transferred to the water below the ice. Meltwater fills in between the crystals, which begin breaking apart. The surface appears grayish as the ice reflects a bit more light than before.
    The wind comes up, and breaks the surface apart. The candles will often be blown to one side of the lake, making a tinkling sound as they knock against one another, and piling up on the shore. In hours, a sparkling blue lake, once again!

Very good article, best I've ever read, heres some candles, but don't get too spooked just yet, this was a drain hole I fished out of, fresh holes still had no spheres in them yet. just corn ice on top from soaking up this mornings water. pay attention from here on out.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8172 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:04 AM »

nice stripers snag

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8173 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:16 AM »
Super nice perch Snag and P man !!
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #8174 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:50 AM »
Super nice perch Snag and P man !!
X2!!!
Wayne W.

Offline off the BOTTOM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8175 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:08 AM »
p-man  good  job  well worth that walk. I should have done it too

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8176 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:29 AM »
Reeleyz you are absolutely correct - that is nuts !!! But I do a lot of walking on a treadmill for health issues and the walk really isn't that bad and a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the treadmill.

Snag I was going to come over and say hello but after my morning stroll I just wanted to sit. Glad to see you did well considering the way your morning started. You are absolutely on target about a big fish day. Still can't get over how strong these fish are, a lot of those big males were pulling drag.

Hey Bart 2.3 miles to get out there and another 2.3 miles to get back in. Didn't seem too bad at first but then I realized it's like walking across the lake. If someone told me to walk from the north shore to the south shore you know what my answer would be, but that is basically what I did.

Good luck to whoever is out today; I'm taking the day off - no walking, just cleaning fish.

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #8177 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:54 AM »
To Mr ECON that came out to a south shore bay today I applaud your efforts to do a little undercover work, for future reference drive your personal vehicle there next time everyone that you were looking for saw you drive around the bay and left as soon as you came walking out of the marina.

You did chase them off though before they did any real damage. I am grateful for your service and keep up the good work!!!!
   :clap: :clap: :clap: :callcops: :nono ataboy keep it up

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #8178 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:00 AM »
My favorite page  ;D

Offline DukeieM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lets make some YAK tracks!
« Reply #8179 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:38 AM »
 ??? any reports on conditions this a.m. out of Taft? took Monday off work but wondering if I should cancel after all this rain.
1 more fish and 1 more beer!

Offline Carcajou17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Fishin' Gal
« Reply #8180 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:41 AM »
Snagger, those fish are incredible! Congrats!
Carcajou = Wolverine
Blessed and thanking God I can do this ice fishing thing...

Offline Carcajou17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Fishin' Gal
« Reply #8181 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:46 AM »
Not going fishing today.  :(  Even though the weather is rainy/crappy (which I would have fished through anyway), I have 3 PCs to fix for other people and I really need to get those projects done.  That money goes into my ATV savings jar for a new ride next year.  Good luck out there, guys and stay safe.
Carcajou = Wolverine
Blessed and thanking God I can do this ice fishing thing...

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8182 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:54 AM »
??? any reports on conditions this a.m. out of Taft? took Monday off work but wondering if I should cancel after all this rain.

Taft was in good shape yesterday. It's tough to tell what this rain is going to do. I will try to swing by and take a look this afternoon.

Good read OldTimer.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8183 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:59 AM »

hope this early start doesn't jinx us , it's still over 3 months out
Hey Freddie, remember this! It jinxed us alright.....going on month 5 of winter!  ;D

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #8184 on: Mar 30, 2014, 07:06 AM »
Walked out of Lewis to 113, then up to 111, then back into Lewis. drilling and jigging all the way.... 4 8" perch the east end is just barren this year.that was about a 4 mile walk .this fat lady is defiantly getting ready to sing. Me me me me ;D

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8185 on: Mar 30, 2014, 07:35 AM »
Just drove down to constantia access as well as Taft. Handful of guys out of Taft, some on machines and some on foot. Only saw one guy out of constantia. Scriba creek was really ripping too! I noted some flood watches for couple creeks south of here this morning. Watch those creek mouths, a lot of runoff going on

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8186 on: Mar 30, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Nice fish Snag and PMan... Made that walk to Shack with you Dave plenty of time, but that was 20 years ago!  ;D

Had a great time with Release, KP, Lee Toi, Boi, Oneida1, and Dad...
Here are the types of pictures to post if you want to keep people guessing...
Dad hiding in the fog...

Should have taken more pictures but was busy fishing and BS'n. Took this early, got some bigger fish later.  ;D Lovin the new stick, think I could have sole 6-7 of em yesterday...

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8187 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Nice pics and fish DC...that's a cool looking panfish rig

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8188 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:13 AM »
I was on Oneida for 9 hours today, gas holes are getting nasty! Drilled holes that are in water going quick.
Drill a hole in a puddle and the draining rots an inch or two.
Perch bite was pretty good to me, but not so much to others where I was.  Met a lurker today!  Nice chat.
Ice looked thicker than it was. Said lurker pointed that out.  I pulled out a tape, a little under 19, I taped 22 near there not long ago.
Lots of air bubbles in ice.  Water going down through ice fast enough you can hear gurgling

self proclaimed lurker... nice chat as well, nice day too even if I was the hydrant  :P 

T

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8189 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:37 AM »
Nice pics and fish DC...that's a cool looking panfish rig

36inches, super soft tip, then a nice transition into all backbone, and light as a feather or two...  ;D Ol' KP had the rod in his hand for 6 seconds and said "i'll take two"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.