New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827231 times)

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #8010 on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:42 AM »
Unfortunately there are a lot of scum bags out there that fish! Every spring we fish Lake Moraine for crappies and my kids and I bring an extra pail or 2 so we can pick up other "folks" garbage. I'm talking about glass beer bottles?? line, worm containers, McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts...... then you watch the news and wonder why the world is in the shape it's in! Some folks are animals with no respect for anything or anyone! If you bring it in ..bring it out!!

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8011 on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:55 AM »
i can see maybe a few guys having permission but 50.......my guess is there are some pretty pi$$ed off camp/house owners on beach rd.and long point rd. right now.....have seen it too many times.....guys think they can just park and walk between the houses......maybe I'm way off base here but I don't think so

oh, your not off base...
And CrossEye is spot on!

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8012 on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:57 AM »
Great post Cross Eye... the reality of it is that it is public water and you can't do anything about who fishes it. Where is the DEC? These people you are describing aren't fisherman or sportsman of any sort! Why is it legal to sell your fish? They are a natural resource owned by the State and that should make it illegal. You can't sell Venison and last I checked they were owned and regulated by the DEC ???

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8013 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:09 AM »
That is a truly grievous situation, hopefully our Law Enforcement Agencies offer a swift and stern solution.

moosefeet, I have picked up at Lake Moraine every time I have been there, it does seem better than last year or you are just ahead of me? Last spring Millbrook was so bad I couldn't fish, I just picked up garbage only to return a couple of days later to find a disaster again. I simply don't get it ???
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #8014 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:12 AM »
Pooch- cool video. What size auger is on your drill? Did you try it with an 8". I have a 7" on my Electra and want to try that on a drill.

That is with a 5" auger, but I do nomally use the 8". It is not as fast with the 8", but I can tell you that I would have got 2 holes to Racers 1 hole. Either way, its faster, quieter and lighter. The 7" should work well. I only put the 5" on because of the targeted species, Perch.

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8015 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:15 AM »
That's an understatement ! >:(    Early in the season, there were only 4 or 5 people who fished the bay and had legitimate access via permission of property owners.
  Since the fish moved into the bay, I've seen people walking from Polar Beach and Beach Rd, Shellmans Dr area, and walking through private property all over the bay.    When you ask these guys how they got on, they always say...."A guy told me it was OK to park on the road and walk through here" as they point to a house or lot.  Several have come in on sleds and AT V's which is not an issue !
  It won't last long before every road around the lake has NO PARKING signs posted every 50 feet  >:(
   Another spot on the lake got overrun with fishermen after one of the local pirates scoped out a very good and ethical fisherman out on the ice.   Other than this one fisherman, nobody was fishing this spot.  2 days after the local pirate found out, the place was mobbed with more like him.   Day by day, the crowd grew.  DEC was called several times after watching these guys drag buckets of fish to waiting vehicles in the parking lot and then go back out to catch more fish  ::) ::)
  These guys were raping the lake, smoking weed (with their 10 year old son sitting right there) ::), making a mess everywhere they fished and the worst thing, they told their fish buyer where they were fishing and in turn, the buyer told everyone who sells him fish were the fish were being caught.  It took a matter of days to wipe that spot out.   Those guys sat there until you couldn't find a fish anywhere in the area. ::)
  So, in my opinion (and I have no issues with people selling their daily limit of fish), it's the fish buyers who create most of the problems by telling their people where the fish are hitting the best.  Seen it happen many times over the years but it's worse now !
  It's too bad that the DEC can't deputize other ethical fishermen so they can issue tickets etc.   I could have written dozens this past week on Short Point  ::)   
  Full 7 gallon buckets of sunfish and gills when the limit is 50 fish  ::) ::) ::)   Then, hearing the guys say they're going home for lunch and coming back for the late run. ::)
  It's time for some Louisville Slugger justice out there and then leave the goons to the seagulls like they do to the pickerel that they catch ! ;)
crosseye could not agree more I had an incident on sandy pond green point we had some jacka$$$ screwing around on four wheeler pissing  everyone off all day I stood up to them when no on else would its time to stand up to these thugs and take back the water ways for ethical fishing it's devastating trying to tech the next generation what right and wrong when they see this type of behavior . I for one am not afraid to stand up and call the DEC did any one get plate numbers of the cars stalling fish that will help after a visit from DEC or state troopers they may think twice about it . It's time for NY to stop allowing figs sales. This just promotes gred when ever there is money involved people will cheat.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #8016 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:15 AM »

It's time for some Louisville Slugger justice out there and then leave the goons to the seagulls like they do to the pickerel that they catch ! ;)

LOVE THIS PART......

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #8017 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:18 AM »
crosseye could not agree more I had an incident on sandy pond green point we had some jacka$$$ screwing around on four wheeler pissing  everyone off all day I stood up to them when no on else would its time to stand up to these thugs and take back the water ways for ethical fishing it's devastating trying to tech the next generation what right and wrong when they see this type of behavior . I for one am not afraid to stand up and call the DEC did any one get plate numbers of the cars stalling fish that will help after a visit from DEC or state troopers they may think twice about it . It's time for NY to stop allowing figs sales. This just promotes gred when ever there is money involved people will cheat.

ICE SHANTY MILITIA, IS NOW ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS MILITIA.....RACER HOW BOUT SOME SHIRTS AND DECALS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8018 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Great post Cross Eye... the reality of it is that it is public water and you can't do anything about who fishes it. Where is the DEC? These people you are describing aren't fisherman or sportsman of any sort! Why is it legal to sell your fish? They are a natural resource owned by the State and that should make it illegal. You can't sell Venison and last I checked they were owned and regulated by the DEC ???

Owned by the State ? NOTHING is owned by the State ..... We own it. And what do you care if someone sells their fish ....
  ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #8019 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:27 AM »
Great day yesterday .... ended up with 16 good ones after a 5 o'clock flurry. Stuck with the honey hole one to many times .

(Image removed from quote.)

Someone thinks this is karma for busting his auger on the way out over the crack ....  ::)  ;D

Racer and Pooch great fishing with you two again ....

Snag, absolutely love that camera.....look at the clarity if that pic of Stormy. Keep-em coming.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #8020 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:28 AM »
That crack opened up last night, had to find a place to cross that would be easy for the bike. Be careful out there guys when crossing it.

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8021 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:45 AM »

I'm curious about that as well. I realize they can't be there all the time but if they would make a strong presence felt, at these spots, I would think that would cut down this type of behavior by quite a bit. A couple of plainclothes officers could do some damage and get the rest at least paranoid about what they're doing.   

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8022 on: Mar 28, 2014, 09:01 AM »
Slow out here this morn. Looks like way more guys out here on machines than walkers today. I was curious where all those guys were parking yesterday.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8023 on: Mar 28, 2014, 09:02 AM »
I know the DEC has been contacted about people catching over the limit out there. I haven't seen them around though???
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8024 on: Mar 28, 2014, 09:12 AM »
Owned by the State ? NOTHING is owned by the State ..... We own it. And what do you care if someone sells their fish ....
I don't care if they sell their fish, I care that they are beyond the legal daily possession! I care that they are probably trespassing to access Oneida Lake, I care that these dipcraps are probably the same ones who leave garbage on the Ice and banks during open water! I'm not a tree hugger or PETA person, just a ethical person who get's pissed off by people who have no respect for game and fish laws!   

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8025 on: Mar 28, 2014, 09:21 AM »
I would not care if someone sold there catch daily limit,but that's not the case. everyone has witnessed this behavior of over catching in the morning and over catching at night I have witnessed catches of 30 or 40 walleye in the spring taken away before Any one could see in the hrs of darkness on the north shore when the daily limit is 3 that no different than shooting a dear a night. No one cares about it because it's fish poaching is poaching and the fact that money is involve make it appealing for some one to break the law. The pressure should be put on buyers, how can they except more than a daily limit from one person.

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8026 on: Mar 28, 2014, 09:23 AM »
I would not care if someone sold there catch daily limit,but that's not the case. Everyone has witnessed this behavior of over catching in the morning and over catching at night I have witnessed catches of 30 or 40 walleye in the spring taken away before Any one could see in the hrs of darkness on the north shore when the daily limit is 3 that no different than shooting a deer at night. No one cares about it because it's fish poaching is poaching and the fact that money is involve make it appealing for some one to break the law. The pressure should be put on buyers, how can they except more than a daily limit from one person.

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8027 on: Mar 28, 2014, 09:30 AM »
The sad part of this problem is everyone knows this is happening but will not get involved I bet that people on this sit could even name the people responsible for these crimes but will not come forward. I had a discussion at the ice fishing show at the on center with the Oneida lake association voice my concerns  on the over harvesting of the lake and all I got was we know there's a problem. People it's time to stand up and be heard. They will say it just blue gills or sun fish this screws up the whole Eco system of the lake those fish are food for other fish.

Offline fishdi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8028 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:17 AM »
cnypanfisher could you pm me

Harry + SKIP
P.S   From T.J.s

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8029 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:18 AM »
Nice fish guys and some great pics Snag. Hoofed it out to the perch grounds from Apps yesterday - long ass walk but walking was pretty easy. Got out late morning and from what I heard the fish were pretty much shut off by then. Still managed to pick up a few, all quality fish. Better yet, all but two were males.  Absolutely beautiful day but wish we could have got out sooner.

Met Pooch and Racer at Apps; great talking with you guys. Nice video of that hole drilling machine.

Offline YaNkEmOuT88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8030 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:34 AM »
Im sure we could find replica DEC outfits somewhere and start are own patrolling they would never know the difference all in favor say I  ::)  ;D  ;)

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8031 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:40 AM »
There use to be commercial fishing on the lake for goodness sake .... Some of the ones on here crying about pirates is comical .... I mean really ..... ::)
  ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #8032 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:46 AM »
That's an understatement ! >:(    Early in the season, there were only 4 or 5 people who fished the bay and had legitimate access via permission of property owners.
  Since the fish moved into the bay, I've seen people walking from Polar Beach and Beach Rd, Shellmans Dr area, and walking through private property all over the bay.    When you ask these guys how they got on, they always say...."A guy told me it was OK to park on the road and walk through here" as they point to a house or lot.  Several have come in on sleds and ATV's which is not an issue !
  It won't last long before every road around the lake has NO PARKING signs posted every 50 feet  >:(
   Another spot on the lake got overrun with fishermen after one of the local pirates scoped out a very good and ethical fisherman out on the ice.   Other than this one fisherman, nobody was fishing this spot.  2 days after the local pirate found out, the place was mobbed with more like him.   Day by day, the crowd grew.  DEC was called several times after watching these guys drag buckets of fish to waiting vehicles in the parking lot and then go back out to catch more fish  ::) ::)
  These guys were raping the lake, smoking weed (with their 10 year old son sitting right there) ::), making a mess everywhere they fished and the worst thing, they told their fish buyer where they were fishing and in turn, the buyer told everyone who sells him fish were the fish were being caught.  It took a matter of days to wipe that spot out.   Those guys sat there until you couldn't find a fish anywhere in the area. ::)
  So, in my opinion (and I have no issues with people selling their daily limit of fish), it's the fish buyers who create most of the problems by telling their people where the fish are hitting the best.  Seen it happen many times over the years but it's worse now !
  It's too bad that the DEC can't deputize other ethical fishermen so they can issue tickets etc.   I could have written dozens this past week on Short Point  ::)   
  Full 7 gallon buckets of sunfish and gills when the limit is 50 fish  ::) ::) ::)   Then, hearing the guys say they're going home for lunch and coming back for the late run. ::)

So how is it that I've been checked by Dec 5 times this yr and got written up for no bait receipt, but they don't go to where the real pirates are, they tear my shanty apart every time looking for more walleye.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #8033 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:53 AM »

So how is it that I've been checked by Dec 5 times this yr and got written up for no bait receipt, but they don't go to where the real pirates are, they tear my shanty apart every time looking for more walleye.

you just look the part snagger. ;) ;)

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8034 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:56 AM »

This is what I don't understand. Everyone and their brother knows what's been going on with the panfish yet no DEC presence? It makes no sense.

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8035 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:01 AM »
There use to be commercial fishing on the lake for goodness sake .... Some of the ones on here crying about pirates is comical .... I mean really ..... ::)

"Used to be" being the operative phrase. Changes, and limits, happen for a reason. The fact that there used to be commercial fishing makes pirating ok today? 

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #8036 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:04 AM »
Well here we go this one should lock up any minute now   ;D

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8037 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:07 AM »

that because you are successful and advertise your success the guys breaking the law do not advertise . They slip in and slip out like ghost. You will probable never see a picture of a poacher bragging about his catch only honest people Share in the success and your a better person for it helping other. How many time have you given weather report or bite report. Poacher would not bring that type of attention to them self's. Thank you for all the help that you have provided this yr.

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8038 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:10 AM »
Well here we go this one should lock up any minute now   ;D

Just a friendly discussion.  ;D

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8039 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:13 AM »

I have only been checked out by DEC twice my whole life, while fishing and just for license. 
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.