New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827220 times)

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #7170 on: Mar 10, 2014, 11:33 AM »
Nice pics Shane. I knew you were doing decent over there, I could hear almost every word, amazing how sound travels on open ground.  Your the only person I know that won't come running to a hot bite because you would rather find your own fish, good job getting on them. 

I ended up having a decent day myself, might slip out one morning to beat on them again before walleye season closes.   I ended up using a single tip up to scout the hump next to me and it helped me get on some more fish. 

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7171 on: Mar 10, 2014, 11:50 AM »
Scary stuff HT, glad you made it through okay. Even on the coldest winter those gas holes are still a hazard. I added your cords to the gas hole thread.

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7172 on: Mar 10, 2014, 12:26 PM »
dammm! glad your ok HT! h8 for that to happen to anyone!

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7173 on: Mar 10, 2014, 02:18 PM »
That's a scary thing allright. HT could have broken his neck if that hole was any bigger. I hate to think what could have happened, even to someone walking. Falling in a hole like that with a load of clothes on could be a killer. That's why I always thanked the Lord and Mother Nature every time I left the ice safely.

You fellas do a great job out there on the ice and on here. I've been a lurker for awhile now and enjoy all the pics and reports and tips. I did it for 15 years from the early 80s to the mid 90s. Then I tore up my back in 93 and it was down hill from there. I tried off and on; but all that loading and unloading, lifting and drilling was too much, deep snow like you just had out there was a real killer for me, getting stuck was a real drag. (gave up the boat too) :-\. But, I had plenty of years of great fishing on that lake. I used to drive all around it at early ice checking on all the spots and trying to figure out where to park, what they caught there and where they did the best.

After awhile you young guns will put it all together, it takes years; but read all you can (Infisherman, etc.) and pay attention to what the regulars here say. I don't need to mention names. You'll know after awhile. Remember the spots, Williams Park, Chapman Park, Lewis Point, Sylvan Beach, Edgewater, Jewel, Godfrey Point, Apps, Taft Bay, Constantia. Then learn the spots on the lake, Doris Park area, Wantry, bouy 130, 128, 125, Shackelton Shoals, 123, 121, 119, Messenger Shoals @ 113, 109...on and on.

Some spots you'll catch both perch and walleye. Some spots are good perch spots ie: Chapman's and some are better walleye spots. It's up to you to put it all together. Pick a spot thats convienent for you to get to and fish it, learn it, and you'll learn that early spots peter out and the fish head deeper as the winter wears on and then when spring is in the air, they head back into the shallows. My favorite time is yet to get here. That's when the melting water on top of the ice is going down the hole in a whirlpool and the big fat perch are bitting like wildfire and buckets of perch start showing up on Iceshanty!

Now a days, you guys have Iceshanty...GPS, electric augers, etc. I started hand over hand fishing out there with tip ups; but soon learned after buying an Eagle 60/30 flasher that I didn't need that stuff on Oneida anymore. It was like playing a video game and I never left the trap after that. Well, I did drink alot of coffee and too much beer for awhile! Lol

Icefishing on Oneida Lake isn't just icefishing like most places...it's an adventure! You better be prepared for any weather and keep your wits about you because it'll bite you in the you know what in a hurry if you're not paying attention. Glad you made it through that HT.

Wow, I've never made a post like this before. Well, thanks guys keep it up. You've got the best thread on the internet!! ;D

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7174 on: Mar 10, 2014, 02:55 PM »
Sorry about your back issues Dug...Sounds like you have lot's of fond Oneida memories!
Maybe someday you'll give it another try out there.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline Kowasz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7175 on: Mar 10, 2014, 02:57 PM »
  if you find one send it too me..  :)
you have to convert millibars to in. hg. but it seems to be fairly accurate.
http://aviationweather.gov/adds/progs/nav?current=4
Kowasz

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7176 on: Mar 10, 2014, 02:58 PM »
Nice job on the fish stickbow and gillpill..nice pics too. :clap:
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7177 on: Mar 10, 2014, 04:08 PM »
HT - not to get overly religious but somebody must have been watching over you to escape the jaws of that monster. Glad to see you made it out all right. I think we all get enough excitement out there; don't really need more from gas holes and pressure cracks.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7178 on: Mar 10, 2014, 04:23 PM »
This video is the entire East End nearly empty Sunday at 2:30pm.  I've never seen that on a nice day.  I know someone mentioned SU game, but I've seen more guys out during the Superbowl than I saw yesterday.  Normal amount were out in the morning.
On the way in I stopped to check another spot that had been good to me earlier in the yr.  Spot was a bust only a pin, but then realized the quiet.  No sleds ripping around either.
It was a peaceful day though  ;D
Look close enough A couple out midlake in front of Cleveland, couple tight to shore, that's it.

It's a short video click on to play
http://s1026.photobucket.com/user/bcons1/media/VID_20140309_145636763_zps6f344345.mp4.html

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #7179 on: Mar 10, 2014, 04:50 PM »
  Question.... Are the Buoys where they are supposed to be (more or less), or does the ice move them around. Do they have to reposition them each spring? 

Offline wert

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7180 on: Mar 10, 2014, 05:06 PM »
markers are there .bouy tender barge puts them back 3rd week in april!!! thats approx and dependent

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7181 on: Mar 10, 2014, 05:10 PM »
The concrete buoys are always there, 113,125 & 130. I'm not sure what they do these days; but when I fished the red buoys (markers) were left in...at least 128 was and 123 (can't remember that color). I used to catch perch right close to 128 a lot and eyes at 123 just before dark. I could be wrong but I think still should be good.

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7182 on: Mar 10, 2014, 05:11 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
well i got lucky this morning out of Taft with not going thru totally with my machine. i hit this nice jem just SE of williard island over 24 feet of water. 43.13.944N  -  75.56105W. put the skull and bones on you GPS people. let this be a lesson to any newbies that there is never any real safe ice. i drilled thru 20" of ice 10 feet from that monster after :P
:o Glad you made it across bud!! Good thing ya didn't have ole fatty onboard :woot:

Offline Ima Fishin addict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishin the American dream
« Reply #7183 on: Mar 10, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Are the perch in the shallows yet?

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #7184 on: Mar 10, 2014, 05:42 PM »
fished today and was it quiet out there for a nice day.....but then again I am recently retired and never fished during the week  very often.....fished out near 121 and had a great day.....at least 35 jumbos....tossed em all back....was testing some new ideas......and my freezer is pretty full....I like to fish I guess.....firmly believe the noise thing now.....I fished the same holes as yesterday and marked just as many fish but yest. only landed 7.....yest. was pretty crowded out there with lots of traffic.....today not so much and they were reacting more aggressively....right in the middle of a pretty good flury a dic-weed pulls up 8 ft. from the shanty and the fish scattered for at least 15 minutes......could be just coincidence but I don't think so.....politely asked him to not do that to people in the future....he wasn't impressed with my presentation , but got the message.....I'm liking this retirement thing

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #7185 on: Mar 10, 2014, 05:44 PM »
  Thanks Wert / Dug for the buoy reply. Congrats on the nice catches.

Offline spoon-n-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "Original" Perch Pirate
« Reply #7186 on: Mar 10, 2014, 06:06 PM »
Was fishing out of 130 today, did hook a few pig perch on ice flies, wouldn't touch anything else. Stopped in by polar beach and noticed someone must smoked like 2 packs of cigarettes in their shanty, because the butts were scattered in a 6 x 6 area.... REALLY!!!! **censored**, take them home with you, that is disgusting..... BTW the ice does melt and will float to shoreline the spring.....just a rant!

Offline nitro18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7187 on: Mar 10, 2014, 06:36 PM »
I am looking to go to the high banks in the am any reports.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #7188 on: Mar 10, 2014, 06:38 PM »
Scary stuff HT, glad you made it through okay. Even on the coldest winter those gas holes are still a hazard. I added your cords to the gas hole thread.
thanks i was to tired to read back to that thread last night bruce and post it. i would have done it tonight but thanks. just wanted the cords up there ;)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7189 on: Mar 10, 2014, 06:40 PM »
fished today and was it quiet out there for a nice day.....but then again I am recently retired and never fished during the week  very often.....fished out near 121 and had a great day.....at least 35 jumbos....tossed em all back....was testing some new ideas......and my freezer is pretty full....I like to fish I guess.....firmly believe the noise thing now.....I fished the same holes as yesterday and marked just as many fish but yest. only landed 7.....yest. was pretty crowded out there with lots of traffic.....today not so much and they were reacting more aggressively....right in the middle of a pretty good flury a dic-weed pulls up 8 ft. from the shanty and the fish scattered for at least 15 minutes......could be just coincidence but I don't think so.....politely asked him to not do that to people in the future....he wasn't impressed with my presentation , but got the message.....I'm liking this retirement thing
Great job on the perch scout!! I am hoping to get into them like that soon.
BTW, congrats on your retirement! :clap:
Retirement is a great deal...you get to do whatever you want and not have to listen to richard cranium bosses and co-workers,or inconsiderate and clueless homeowners...then you get a check every month just to stay home or go fishing!! Have a long , healthy, fishfull retirement!

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #7190 on: Mar 10, 2014, 06:56 PM »
HT - not to get overly religious but somebody must have been watching over you to escape the jaws of that monster. Glad to see you made it out all right. I think we all get enough excitement out there; don't really need more from gas holes and pressure cracks.
well the bottom line is that these hazzards out there and i posted this to make people aware of these kind of things. i have been ice fishing for over 30 years and have seen and been thru alot. yes i have gone thru way worse then that and have learned to respect the ice and watch when i am out there. this one there was no way to detect it. a walker would have been doomed no dought. my advice is if you have an eye phone down load navionics and put all of these gas holes on your gps or on another device. it just might save your life. as for a fishing report. i fished with 2 legends today 3/4 away across the whole lake and i might have just caught a few more then them today. ice is all of 20" and 3"-5" of soft snow in spots ;)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7191 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:00 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
well i got lucky this morning out of Taft with not going thru totally with my machine. i hit this nice jem just SE of williard island over 24 feet of water. 43.13.944N  -  75.56105W. put the skull and bones on you GPS people. let this be a lesson to any newbies that there is never any real safe ice. i drilled thru 20" of ice 10 feet from that monster after :P
Soooo glad you and your atv did not go under HT. By the looks of things, that atv was a great investment...if you were on foot , you would have went in for sure. It doesn't look like that weak, thin gas hole cap ice would have held up to your weight. It must have been hard to concentrate on fishing after that episode.You dodged a bullet.

Offline brotz55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7192 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:06 PM »
Looking to fish the east end of Shackelton Shoals Wednesday.   Can someone please tell me the best access point (parking) from the south side of the lake.  We are walkers... (retired walkers)

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #7193 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Great job on the perch scout!! I am hoping to get into them like that soon.
BTW, congrats on your retirement! :clap:
Retirement is a great deal...you get to do whatever you want and not have to listen to richard cranium bosses and co-workers,or inconsiderate and clueless homeowners...then you get a check every month just to stay home or go fishing!! Have a long , healthy, fishfull retirement!
thanks choo-choo......lovin it so far......your so right, no hassles.....see ya on the ice.....

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7194 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Looking to fish the east end of Shackelton Shoals Wednesday.   Can someone please tell me the best access point (parking) from the south side of the lake.  We are walkers... (retired walkers)

Have you checked the weather reports for Wednesday???

South Shore Boat launch east of Bridgeport is probably best public access... and its a 2 mi hike.....
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7195 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:34 PM »
As redwolf said have you checked the weather?  Shack is a hike on a good day.  Wet snow during the day followed by near zero temps after sundown with windy conditions all day and night?
Put it this way if anyone has to ask how do I get there and where do I park, probably a bad idea even with a machine. Oneida is unforgiving.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7196 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:38 PM »
well the bottom line is that these hazzards out there and i posted this to make people aware of these kind of things. i have been ice fishing for over 30 years and have seen and been thru alot. yes i have gone thru way worse then that and have learned to respect the ice and watch when i am out there. this one there was no way to detect it. a walker would have been doomed no dought. my advice is if you have an eye phone down load navionics and put all of these gas holes on your gps or on another device. it just might save your life. as for a fishing report. i fished with 2 legends today 3/4 away across the whole lake and i might have just caught a few more then them today. ice is all of 20" and 3"-5" of soft snow in spots ;)

I'm guilty of leaving picks at home yest. Thinking ice was thick enough.  Thought I knew better.  I was wrong........

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #7197 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:40 PM »
got out this afternoon. ended up with 16 big sunnies, 7 gills, and 3 crappies. you really had to finness them to get them to hit. if I didn't have my vex I wouldn't have caught any.   Sully...

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #7198 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:43 PM »

You wouldn't show me your bucket when you left ht, how do I know what you got?, tough bite today for me, definetly needed meat on my rap.  Not too bad fishin Oneida when someone finds the fish for ya is it Ht?  .....Almost like Sandy pond....I grabbed a dozen jumbos and one keeper eye.  That's it, was like watching paint dry in between fish, but it was nice out and still had a fun day.

Be very careful is leaving from taft, the crack busted up good tonight, had to abandon one spot we crossed and find a new one, think we found your gas hole too ht.

old trail crossing crack.

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7199 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:47 PM »
  Question.... Are the Buoys where they are supposed to be (more or less), or does the ice move them around. Do they have to reposition them each spring?

They definitely move (other than the concrete ones).  The anchored buoys, including the channel markers get dragged by ice.  Most of them I have marked on my GPS and they are never in the same place.  The pin buoys are only anchored with a few concrete blocks and those get dragged all over the place.  Not all of them move in any one year, but depending on how the ice goes out certain areas are affected more in a given year than others.  I think with lack of money in the state budget, they don't correct their position every year unless they are way off or somebody complains.

Nice job on the perch Scout!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.