New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827231 times)

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #6660 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:11 AM »
Watched a show one time where they experimented on what makes the most noise under the ice.The gas auger was the loudest.The snowmobile second loudest( not sure if it was studded).That was followed by the atv with chains.Interesting thing was that none had a real big effect on the fishing at the time of the filming.They sa8d that some studies show that the sounds actually attracted fish from long distances.Sure fish mood...sound frequency and other factors are involved.Was interesting though.BTW...hand augers made a lot of noise also.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #6661 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:27 AM »
As Filet met me on the ice Friday morning, I flagged him to come right on over on his sled, as he did he pushed a whole school of fish over to me.....
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #6662 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:34 AM »

Yep just trying too learn, not starting a debate, Friday we drove our sleds right up too where fished blasted holes, nothing fish 30-40 minutes, move repeat, horrible day, covered 5 miles.. tournament day, went back too parking sled 150 ft from where we hand drilled holes, did fish on every move, sunday too.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6663 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:38 AM »

And believe me, I want too run my power auger, I paid good money for it, instead we dumped piles of eyes in a 6 inch hole, but it was worth it, atleast we had them on too dump them, drilled my holes at a 20 degree angle, lets me see down the holes in a sitting position, then could slide them into the tube easier,.

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6664 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:49 AM »
I have caught a couple perch with no stripes out there this year, was wondering what that was all about,, thanks for the explanation :roflmao:

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6665 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:58 AM »
The difference between a good fisherman and an excellent fisherman is usually in the details...

ICE-ADDICT, I read an article where they used a snowmobile to drive Northern Pike through their spread of tip-ups. Another article there was an argument in approaching a flag, run or walk. Some claimed the noise from running to the flag have startled some pike and cause them to drop the bait?

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline darkdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • What? ANOTHER wind flag? @!*/ !
« Reply #6666 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:59 AM »
some day, when we are out zapping holes in the ice with new high tech laser -hole- makers, we will forget we ever debated gas auger use !

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #6667 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Here is the eye Reich607 got in Chaumont Saturday. We marked some eyes but they were few and far between. Picked up a few perch... not many. This one was 7.45 lbs. He's gonna get it mounted. I helped him land it... lots of high fives and hootin and hollerin!!! @)

Nice eye cheeks!
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #6668 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:20 AM »
well lets see here. 20" of ice or more and I have a motor auger and a hand drill. yep I am using my motor auger versus having a freaking stroke ::)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6669 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:29 AM »
Being quiet can't be a bad thing, that's for sure. I have to believe that having snow on the ice helps a lot. I always drill by hand or use an electric auger. That being said, I have rolled up on my snowmobile and landed on a hot walleye or perch bite many times.

If power augers and machines have much of an affect then a boat motor and the boat hitting the waves should scatter fish like crazy!? When I go back up for a drift I have a habit of swinging wide around the section that I am drifting through.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6670 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:34 AM »
well lets see here. 20" of ice or more and I have a motor auger and a hand drill. yep I am using my motor auger versus having a freaking stroke ::)

Can't argue with that logic! ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline darkdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • What? ANOTHER wind flag? @!*/ !
« Reply #6671 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:36 AM »
one last post before going off to work..... I already stated what I thought about my auger noise, but one thing does bother me. Even when I am super careful in filling, I have always noticed that smelly gas/oil mix after using it. I think you can pick up that gas mix smell just looking at that thing. I'm believing that is my biggest gripe.  Even deaf fish that cant hear augers can taste that stuff.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6672 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:38 AM »

Ice didn't grow Ht, I measured 15 inches east end 19 inches at 119 ...... 19 inches at 121, south side had 14-15 inches ....dakin west had 18 inches and one 19 inch spot.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6673 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:43 AM »
Being quiet can't be a bad thing, that's for sure. I have to believe that having snow on the ice helps a lot. I always drill by hand or use an electric auger. That being said, I have rolled up on my snowmobile and landed on a hot walleye or perch bite many times.

If power augers and machines have much of an affect then a boat motor and the boat hitting the waves should scatter fish like crazy!? When I go back up for a drift I have a habit of swinging wide around the section that I am drifting through.

Hot being the key" word, what about neutral fish?  I know in May and early June, the floatillas can kill the bite, not always, some bites are too hot, by mid june, there so used too power boats you can catch them in your boat wash, I believe theres a rhythm and limit too what noise they can handle and when, I'm just trying too figure it out.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6674 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:54 AM »
100% quiet for me!  Hand or electric only!
Reeleyz  Me too on the wide pass back to start of drift.

On that point if noise doesn't effect fish, then why does everyone troll 200+' behind their boat? Why not 30'?   Unless it's a big spread and they need seperation downrigger guys can troll only 30-50' back when fishing down 150+

Can't tell you the number of times I've watched get "pushed" to me by guys making tons of noise a short ways off, or watched them disappear if the noise is close.

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6675 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:56 AM »
All the different combination of factors is what makes it fun. If there was a simple " use this jig on this pole and wiggle it exactly like this" things would get boring quick. Wonder what the fish think on bright sunny days on snow covered thick ice when our holes let beams of light down? Aliens trying to beam them up is my guess. Better flip that shanty up and close the window flaps.

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6676 on: Mar 03, 2014, 12:00 PM »
I have caught a couple perch with no stripes out there this year, was wondering what that was all about,, thanks for the explanation :roflmao:

I read you post about catching a couple of perch with no stripes.

What did they look like did you take any pictures?

I caught a fish at the C'noy dam this summer that looked like a perch but had no stripes. 

The side of the fish was greenish like a perch, had orange fins and a calico appearance on the sides.

I did not get a picture of it.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6677 on: Mar 03, 2014, 12:01 PM »
  Hot being the key" word, what about neutral fish?  I know in May and early June, the floatillas can kill the bite, not always, some bites are too hot, by mid june, there so used too power boats you can catch them in your boat wash, I believe theres a rhythm and limit too what noise they can handle and when, I'm just trying too figure it out.

I think the best way to tell would be to watch them on an under water camera and see how they react.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6678 on: Mar 03, 2014, 12:07 PM »
I think the best way to tell would be to watch them on an under water camera and see how they react.

that would be fun too watch, hate draggin that thing out.  I've read all 1000 posts you have ever written bruce, I value your opinion on these things.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #6679 on: Mar 03, 2014, 12:07 PM »
Do chainsaws scare fish?  ::)

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6680 on: Mar 03, 2014, 12:08 PM »
All the different combination of factors is what makes it fun. If there was a simple " use this jig on this pole and wiggle it exactly like this" things would get boring quick. Wonder what the fish think on bright sunny days on snow covered thick ice when our holes let beams of light down? Aliens trying to beam them up is my guess. Better flip that shanty up and close the window flaps.

I'm always trying too figure out if light helps or hurts, some days I shave the snow off around my shanty too let light down other days I got a flashlight pointed down my transducer hole trying too see if it grabs an extra fish.

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6681 on: Mar 03, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Might bring an animal psychic out there to "talk" with the walleyes as I catch them. "How are you feeling today?" "Does that high pressure have you feeling down?" "Auger noise give you a headache?"

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6682 on: Mar 03, 2014, 12:34 PM »
  that would be fun too watch, hate draggin that thing out.  I've read all 1000 posts you have ever written bruce, I value your opinion on these things.

Thanks man. I just noticed I became a Maniac!

I don't have a camera and they seem like a pain but if I had the time I would do it. You have to be able to pattern them to a point. Then it would be like hunting state land on the opening day of southern zone. The guy who gets in the earliest and the furthest gets deer pushed to them.

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6683 on: Mar 03, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Might bring an animal psychic out there to "talk" with the walleyes as I catch them. "How are you feeling today?" "Does that high pressure have you feeling down?" "Auger noise give you a headache?"
I think I know a good animal psychic. His name is Dr. Release!  :woot:

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6684 on: Mar 03, 2014, 12:54 PM »

But I thought there was a big debate as to whether the cameras scared the fish as well ???

I guess we'll never know the answers to these questions  ::)

I wonder if there is a fish whisperer? That would be cool to watch on the discovery channel ;D

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #6685 on: Mar 03, 2014, 01:07 PM »
Lure them with meth then all the noise in the world don't matter

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6686 on: Mar 03, 2014, 01:09 PM »
Took the camera out on Sandy Pond yesterday. Cutting more holes didn't even effect the fish in 12 ft of water. It was actually fun to watch. Fm and I laughed our arses off all day watching fish. You should see perch scatter like rats when a northern comes through and then come right back after he left. Some of the perch need glasses I think. They would  come screaming off the bottom and miss the lure completely and some would hit the lure but not the hook. Stupid fish!!! :laugh:

Offline Carcajou17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Fishin' Gal
« Reply #6687 on: Mar 03, 2014, 01:18 PM »
.....Wonder what the fish think on bright sunny days on snow covered thick ice when our holes let beams of light down? Aliens trying to beam them up is my guess...

:roflmao: :laugh:
Carcajou = Wolverine
Blessed and thanking God I can do this ice fishing thing...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6688 on: Mar 03, 2014, 01:22 PM »

I'm sticking with my power ,my shoulder and lower back says gas is the way to go , unless someone wants to drill my 3 holes for me  :woot:

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6689 on: Mar 03, 2014, 01:40 PM »
Took the camera out on Sandy Pond yesterday. Cutting more holes didn't even effect the fish in 12 ft of water. It was actually fun to watch. Fm and I laughed our arses off all day watching fish. You should see perch scatter like rats when a northern comes through and then come right back after he left. Some of the perch need glasses I think. They would  come screaming off the bottom and miss the lure completely and some would hit the lure but not the hook. Stupid fish!!! :laugh:

The northern Oswego County fish are much dumber than the southern Oswego County fish.  ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.