New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827231 times)

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #5850 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:08 PM »

Wind will not be your problem brother......It won't be nearly as strong as further to the west.  Now wetness on the other hand, you may want to bring your best GoreTex and swampers. It WILL be a wet one!
Already got the waders knee high boots and a 10' jonboat loaded. But at this point I couldn't change the plans so I really have no choice. Like the last time if we can't get at it the I will be catching a buzz. At least  I won't be home you know we only get the pass once in a blue moon so off I go.
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5851 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:20 PM »
Good luck to those going to Chaumont, dig yourselves in and anchor up. Fish On and I mean FISH ON!!!!!!
thks for the encouragement and I will give it hell!!!!!!!

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5852 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:22 PM »
Fish more open water than ice.  Ice fishing is fun, but I prefer open water.  Love to have a dozen rods and 500lbs of tackle at my disposal.

Lansky knife sharpener for me.  Puts a wicked edge on a blade but it is somewhat of a pain in the a$$ to use.

Offline nitro18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5853 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Went out of the south end of the lake today got my limit of eyes one was 21" and 3 nice perch

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5854 on: Feb 20, 2014, 06:00 PM »
Thanks reeleyez for the pic of snow conditions!
Judging by forecast change AGAIN think snaggers 1st prediction of a few inches of slush to remain probably the most accurate.  Won't burn down to ice, but probably 3-6 of slush hardening on saturday.
If the forecast holds of 2 cold fronts coming through next weekend looks beautiful!

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5855 on: Feb 20, 2014, 06:11 PM »
Thanks reeleyez for the pic of snow conditions!
Judging by forecast change AGAIN think snaggers 1st prediction of a few inches of slush to remain probably the most accurate.  Won't burn down to ice, but probably 3-6 of slush hardening on saturday.
If the forecast holds of 2 cold fronts coming through next weekend looks beautiful!

No problem.

It's definitely going to be sloppy for a few days. After that we should have 20" of ice minimum.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5856 on: Feb 20, 2014, 06:27 PM »
went out with my bud snag today the perch were very moody again made a few moves, found fish in almost every spot but not active , ended up with 21 , got in tonight just before it started to rain , this rain is going to beat the snow down , and rain in the forecast tomorrow is going to make it a little sloppy but i is going to shrink what is on top , and the ice is some of the best I've seen in years , I couldn't be happier next week wheelers will be running wild and walkers should have pretty good saling   

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #5857 on: Feb 20, 2014, 06:43 PM »

Fished Oneida today, ran out too the middle with fred, day started out at 16 degrees, a 3 inch hard crust layer formed on top of the snow, it actually could support my weight, dragging my shanty once out there was nice for a change, wasted all of todays warm weather loosening that layer up... took snow depths at 5 locations 7-8 inches in 3 locations and still 10 inches in 2 locations, ice varied as much too, as little as 13 inches and as much as 19 inches..   Caught 10 jumbos in first 2 hours, then it was a grind, did some exploring shallow for eyes after fishing first few hours deep, never found any, ended up with 12 perch 4 good smallies and 1 14 inch eye, bolted before evening to beat the rain, which turned too snow, snowed all the way home... We aint going too bare ice, but slush might not be as bad as we thought either, bet by sunday we got a 4-6 inch hard pack tacked on.

big smallie from today.

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5858 on: Feb 20, 2014, 06:47 PM »
Pooch, I recently bought a Milwaukee 18Volt Fuel brushless drill and got an adapter at Basspro in Utica. I use my 6'' Lazer hand auger and it is a Beast! Took it to Lebanon Res. last weekend and drilled 40 holes thru about a foot of Ice and still had Battery left. Paid $200 for the drill online and the adapter was $27.

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5859 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:22 PM »
Buy stock in 13 fishing boys Snagger showed his tools of the trade :o

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5860 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:09 PM »
Pooch a guy I work with just bought a propane auger and loves it. He says its super quiet, no gas smell, starts on first pull and cuts fast.  Ive  been looking at electric like  the Ion but am afraid of running out of battery out there and replacement batteries are expensive.

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5861 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:19 PM »
I got the clam cordless drill plate, I used a bass pro auger or mora auger on it. With a ridgid 18v cordless hammer drill 3amp battery's with lifetime warranty on batteries and drill as long as you buy it from home depo and register it. Very light and cuts like butter, haven't used my gas auger since I bought it

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5862 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:16 PM »

Fished Oneida today, ran out too the middle with fred, day started out at 16 degrees, a 3 inch hard crust layer formed on top of the snow, it actually could support my weight, dragging my shanty once out there was nice for a change, wasted all of todays warm weather loosening that layer up... took snow depths at 5 locations 7-8 inches in 3 locations and still 10 inches in 2 locations, ice varied as much too, as little as 13 inches and as much as 19 inches..   Caught 10 jumbos in first 2 hours, then it was a grind, did some exploring shallow for eyes after fishing first few hours deep, never found any, ended up with 12 perch 4 good smallies and 1 14 inch eye, bolted before evening to beat the rain, which turned too snow, snowed all the way home... We aint going too bare ice, but slush might not be as bad as we thought either, bet by sunday we got a 4-6 inch hard pack tacked on.

big smallie from today.

Nice fish Snagger. I wish you could keep those.  There should be a limit of one through the ice.  I had a run at chapman a couple years ago, they wiped out half my jigs.  I bet I caught 15 and had 10 break me off. I landed on a school and it was a blast catching them.  There were even a few perch mixed in. Anyway, a couple of them were 5 pounders and I have always wanted a smallie for the wall. 

Offline obrien380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5863 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:22 PM »
Haven't been on the ice in over 5 weeks had some rough family stuff going on but tonight the wife told me I should get back on the ice. So with that said IM BACK so much to take in don't even know were to start can't read 150 pages of reports. Have been looking for a clam or frabill 1 man on craigslist and I haven't seen one in weeks guess were in a ice shanty shortage lol. If anyone wants to go out Saturday get ahold of me would like to team up and try to get back into the swing of things

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5864 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:25 PM »
Welcome back!!
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5865 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:25 PM »
It is pouring out here. It will be interesting to see what the conditions look like tomorrow.

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #5866 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:40 PM »
Haven't been on the ice in over 5 weeks had some rough family stuff going on but tonight the wife told me I should get back on the ice. So with that said IM BACK so much to take in don't even know were to start can't read 150 pages of reports. Have been looking for a clam or frabill 1 man on craigslist and I haven't seen one in weeks guess were in a ice shanty shortage lol. If anyone wants to go out Saturday get ahold of me would like to team up and try to get back into the swing of things
Seems we are in a shortage of everything!  I bought an Otter 1200 Lodge a month ago and can't find a cover for it nowhere!  I have been back and forth with Otter about this and in reality, they suck!  Gave me the lame excuse about being late in the season...blah, blah, blah...they have shipped all stock out to dealers...blah, blah, blah...well, none of the dealers have them either!  By mid-January, there are none to be found...it's obvious they don't know what they are doing.. They(Otter) should have covers in stock ALL the time!  I told them to knock the back wall out of their garage and make a little more warehouse space!  $1100 into a shanty that I can't use without a cover!  They are bleepin idiots!!!  Ahem (deep breath), so if anyone does know of a cover, I'd be much obliged to know about it.
Wayne W.

Offline obrien380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5867 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:13 PM »
I had my eyes on a shappell bay runner pretty awesome shanty well long story short I'd have better luck finding the holy grail I even have ties with a sporting good distributor out of buffalo and they told me they are cleaned out this season being the best in years companies didn't produce enough product to hold up to a season like tbis. I passed up 2 frabill 1 man with covers for 250 in December  really wishing I had bought one of them

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #5868 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:17 PM »
just got home from work. man is it pouring out !!!  the wind is ripping out of the south. if it keeps going there won't be much of any snow left on the ice. maybe a couple inches of slush, and water. should be good traveling by monday.   Sully...

Offline DoubleG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5869 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:57 PM »
Hey Snagger try this link I think they have the cover you need. You have to choose lodge from the drop down menu. I've never ordered anything from there but it looks like they have it. Maybe call first. Good luck!  GG

http://www.icefishingmaniac.com/store/p/216-Otter-Sled-Travel-Cover.aspx

MarCum * Vex * Strikemaster * Clam * Cabelas Underwater Cam

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #5870 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:59 PM »
Raining in moville/stota. Got nervous when it started snowing earlier. I don't think the snow will last.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #5871 on: Feb 21, 2014, 01:38 AM »
Thats a beautiful Smallie Shane, nice work you two on the perch.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #5872 on: Feb 21, 2014, 01:40 AM »
Pooch, I recently bought a Milwaukee 18Volt Fuel brushless drill and got an adapter at Basspro in Utica. I use my 6'' Lazer hand auger and it is a Beast! Took it to Lebanon Res. last weekend and drilled 40 holes thru about a foot of Ice and still had Battery left. Paid $200 for the drill online and the adapter was $27.

Do you have a pic of that set-up? That is actually what I was looking at, I heard that M18 is a beast and the batteries last forever. Where online did you get the drill?

Offline XxFISHN4EYEZxX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5873 on: Feb 21, 2014, 04:37 AM »

Check out herb phillbson in Liverpool ice fishing gear is on sale and they had a stack of frabill 1 Man shantys last time i was there.

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #5874 on: Feb 21, 2014, 04:55 AM »
Hey Snagger try this link I think they have the cover you need. You have to choose lodge from the drop down menu. I've never ordered anything from there but it looks like they have it. Maybe call first. Good luck!  GG

http://www.icefishingmaniac.com/store/p/216-Otter-Sled-Travel-Cover.aspx
Thanks DoubleG...it's ordered!  I'm Hardwater61...Snagger is lookin for love, not a cover!  :woot: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :icefish:
Wayne W.

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5875 on: Feb 21, 2014, 05:09 AM »
Nice smallie Snag, glad to hear somebody got some perch yesterday. Are those Kahtoola microspikes that you are wearing - thinking of getting some good creepers but looking for some info before I shell out about $60 or so.

Fished the east end of Oneida yesterday. Walking was tough to say the least and so was the fishing. Marked enough to end up with a good day but getting them to bite was something else. Finished with one eye and 10 perch but 6 were on the small side for Oneida. Despit the tough bite great day to be out on the ice.

Pooch - I've been using a fairly inexpensive (drill & 2 batteries for $99)  18 volt Ryobi  and really like it. Drill is mounted on the Clam auger conversion kit and I am running my 7" Strikemaster lazer on it. It cut through all that crap yesterday pretty easily although I was right down to the bottom of the drill plate. A better quality drill would really do some serious damage. Key is keeping the batteries warm; I remove them from the drill and store them in a 6 pack cooler case lined with strofoam.

Mike from Camden - don't know if you are a Shanty member or not, but if you are, send me a pm.

Offline YaNkEmOuT88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5876 on: Feb 21, 2014, 05:51 AM »
Well 36 degrees and a driveway full of slush not looking good for the weekend but Im gunna give it all sunday even if I start with a snowmobile and end up barefoot  at the first hole haha

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5877 on: Feb 21, 2014, 06:06 AM »
Nice smallie Snag, glad to hear somebody got some perch yesterday. Are those Kahtoola microspikes that you are wearing - thinking of getting some good creepers but looking for some info before I shell out about $60 or so.

Dave, yes they are. I bought them for dad last year after his knee surgery off the recommendation of Freddy. They rock! have used a lot of creeper/cleats over the years and nothing comes close.
Glad your doing well. Talked to Phil and Dale the other day, they are busy in Florida. Phil has been catching redfish off his kayak...

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5878 on: Feb 21, 2014, 06:34 AM »
Pooch, I bought it from Texas Tool Traders. I called them to make sure it wasn't refurbished because they sell that stuff as well and it was brand new. I will try and get you a pic of it and the setup can't weigh 8 - 10 lbs!

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5879 on: Feb 21, 2014, 06:57 AM »
Buy stock in 13 fishing boys Snagger showed his tools of the trade :o

I to like 13 , snag likes the white noise , and I like the wicked line , but they have short handles so guys with big mits might not like them but I hold my stuff palm style , man was it just coming down in buckets here , won't be much left on on the ice by sunday, so get your wheelers warmed up, and the walkers will be good after a cold night , reeleyz will keep us up to date as he is close by , I know some on here are just chomping at the bit to get back on Oneida   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.