New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827231 times)

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #5490 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Sounds like it's time to break out the self propelled snow blower. Just straddle a long rope to shanty and go!
You know I was thinking why that hasn't been seen before. It would be kind of weird but a Deere with a snowblower attachment blazing a trail to there spot why not. If I lived there around lake you better bet with that much snow I would be out there with it pulling my gear behind it as well.
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5491 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:41 AM »
Winds blowing 15 gusting to 20, lake effect snow adding more.  Lovely conditions!
Just worked my arse off tempting a mark to hit. 6 different jigs 15 mins & it was a whopping 7"er.

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #5492 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:44 AM »
Sounds like it's time to break out the self propelled snow blower. Just straddle a long rope to shanty and go!
hubby been threatening this for years :)

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #5493 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:48 AM »
Last time out we almost died and that before this last foot of snow.we are to old and wise to die begging sink perch to bite all day :)

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
« Reply #5494 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:48 AM »
Thought about that many times.Would think in these conditions you would need lots of HP,chains and maybe have it mounted on a hovercraft.....hahaha

Offline Kowasz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5495 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:51 AM »

Got out yesterday on snow shoes with my dad and cousin, walk wasn't too bad once you got a trail made, but pack light. Didn't have to worry about anyone running up on your spot, no one with in a half mile if us, that's one good thing about the snow I guess. Got to try out a few new rods I built too.
Kowasz

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5496 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:54 AM »

well done , nice eyes

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #5497 on: Feb 16, 2014, 11:16 AM »
Not really into basketball, wouldn't mind going back to snow suits, tow hitches or even religion, politics... just about anything! ;D
dont watch foot ball/basket ball/ soccer/ Hockey or the friggen Olympics either. ::) i fish/hunt and work period. with the conditions i decided not to even attempt to waste my time going out on oneida or any other lake with that much snow. got a brand new machine that can handle most of what mother nature throws at us but i am not stupid so i will wait. this game is supposed to be fun and relaxing. digging out a machine  every 100 yards and figuring out if you can get off the ice if you make it out there at all is not my idea of fun. JMO ;) got some un finised projects done around the home stead and got a few things for next deer season in place also ;) got to stay ahead all the time. one season ends and we jump right into another. it is what we do.......... ;D
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5498 on: Feb 16, 2014, 12:03 PM »
dont watch foot ball/basket ball/ soccer/ Hockey or the friggen Olympics either. ::) i fish/hunt and work period. with the conditions i decided not to even attempt to waste my time going out on oneida or any other lake with that much snow. got a brand new machine that can handle most of what mother nature throws at us but i am not stupid so i will wait. this game is supposed to be fun and relaxing. digging out a machine  every 100 yards and figuring out if you can get off the ice if you make it out there at all is not my idea of fun.

You could've walked......
The women at work have a pampered chef "party" or something like it today going on with wine and cheese. Should I make a call and get you an invite?
I fish, I hunt, & I watch sports :P

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5499 on: Feb 16, 2014, 12:24 PM »
Some of the artic armor jackets are not all insulated the same. My outfit is way better insulated than my buddies ,both artic armor, I got mine at the ice show an he bought his off line.  Just saying
IDI Arctic Armor makes more than one style of suit and if you both have the same model but one is older than the other, they made some changes/improvements pertaining to insultex location and thicknesses.   Still the same amount but a better design.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #5500 on: Feb 16, 2014, 12:32 PM »
easy bcon with at 7"er, you'll pull a muscle  ;D

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #5501 on: Feb 16, 2014, 12:32 PM »
nice eyes and nice pics, custom

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5502 on: Feb 16, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Nice fish Kowasz!  Did you make that rod?  If so, where do you get your ice blanks?

Fished with BB4 same spot as yesterday until noon.  Not nearly as good.  Kept about 12 perch and 2 eyes.  6 of the perch where jumbos, the balance where 8.5" - 9".  Measured closely today, only wanted to keep enough of those smaller ones to make cleaning the 6 good ones worthwhile.   BB4 got both eyes.  Good for him, not so much for me.  A little more snow today didn't help the condtions any that's for sure.  Fish were not nearly as aggressive today, much harder to get them off the bottom.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #5503 on: Feb 16, 2014, 12:45 PM »
fished out of the south shore this morning.....was surprised how good my sled handled the deep snow.....just keep her moving at a good clip and she went ok.....as for fishing not so much.....marked some good fish in 25fow but only coaxed 5 jumbos into eating....that adds up to 1 fish per hr  :P....once you drill a hole its slush soup all around the shanty.....good idea to move the sled away from the shanty while you are fishing.......had 2 guys on sleds pull up within 8 ft. of the shanty to ask if I was somebody they knew.....weren't happy when I asked them to please move away because I didn't want to dig them out from the fresh slush....proceded to circle me then stop about 25 yds away just to aggravate me a little.....just can't fix stupid.....if ya want to talk come on over, but park a ways away and walk over.....I'm done ranting...sorry

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5504 on: Feb 16, 2014, 01:11 PM »
fished out of the south shore this morning.....was surprised how good my sled handled the deep snow.....just keep her moving at a good clip and she went ok.....as for fishing not so much.....marked some good fish in 25fow but only coaxed 5 jumbos into eating....that adds up to 1 fish per hr  :P....once you drill a hole its slush soup all around the shanty.....good idea to move the sled away from the shanty while you are fishing.......had 2 guys on sleds pull up within 8 ft. of the shanty to ask if I was somebody they knew.....weren't happy when I asked them to please move away because I didn't want to dig them out from the fresh slush....proceded to circle me then stop about 25 yds away just to aggravate me a little.....just can't fix stupid.....if ya want to talk come on over, but park a ways away and walk over.....I'm done ranting...sorry

In these conditions is there any precautions/technique in parking your sled if you plan on sitting on a spot for a while? Not a lot of experience, I bought my first sled 3 years ago. In about the 100 miles I have put on her it has been in ideal conditions and at about 10-15 mph or less.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #5505 on: Feb 16, 2014, 01:19 PM »
You could've walked......
The women at work have a pampered chef "party" or something like it today going on with wine and cheese. Should I make a call and get you an invite?
I fish, I hunt, & I watch sports :P
i aint walking anywhere if i dont have too for starters. and i chose not to fish this weekended because its not worth the effort/gas/time  and hassle for 1 eye and a couple of perch so i will wait. given that i am NOT a people person so you can invite somebody else. count me out. i will go alone as usual. good luck out there this season.  @) oh ya........if syracuse chokes in the end and they loose ::) i will still sleep the same as if they win or loose.  :P dont give a sht either way. lmao
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline travis9791

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5506 on: Feb 16, 2014, 01:23 PM »
When I was on oneida yesterday i did one run out to my spot and back with the sled and no gear and then went back for the shanty. when i came with  the shanty i did a circle and parked on my tracks i had just made. I had no problem leaving.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5507 on: Feb 16, 2014, 02:19 PM »
[quote author=bart link=topic=260591.msg2972320#msg2972320 date=139257786

In these conditions is there any precautions/technique in parking your sled if you plan on sitting on a spot for a while? Not a lot of experience, I bought my first sled 3 years ago. In about the 100 miles I have put on her it has been in ideal conditions and at about 10-15 mph or less.
[/quote]

Bart I make 2 passes right over where I'm going to fish , but I also don't dig all the way down i pack down a little takes a couple extra min. but it's worth it to me , drill my holes clean out  , and if they are holes you wish to fish the next day , things are a lot easier

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5508 on: Feb 16, 2014, 02:24 PM »
i aint walking anywhere if i dont have too for starters. and i chose not to fish this weekended because its not worth the effort/gas/time  and hassle for 1 eye and a couple of perch so i will wait. given that i am NOT a people person so you can invite somebody else. count me out. i will go alone as usual. good luck out there this season.  @) oh ya........if syracuse chokes in the end and they loose ::) i will still sleep the same as if they win or loose.  :P dont give a sht either way. lmao

Someone had their Wheaties peed in this morning :P
Maybe ya shoulda gone fishing.
Ain't ashamed to admit Oneida kicked my arse today walked 1.34 miles, but got a bit more than an eye and couple perch.
And no never thought you were a people person.  Neither am I, hence why I fish solo 99% of the time.
My response to the SU comment would get me put back on probation, and make raquettedak & adkroy work harder  :P

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5509 on: Feb 16, 2014, 02:29 PM »

When you get where you're going don't drive exactly there. Give it a wide berth 30-40' Drive a circle around your "spot" & make 2-3 laps without smashing the throttle. Park in your own tracks.  Pull gear in from there by hand.  Makes leaving a breeze keeping sled out of slush, & giving a starting point that's already packed.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5510 on: Feb 16, 2014, 02:29 PM »

being a people person is over rated just ask release  :woot: or KP  :blink:but I like a nice wine with sharp cheese  ;)

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5511 on: Feb 16, 2014, 02:34 PM »
When you get where you're going don't drive exactly there. Give it a wide berth 30-40' Drive a circle around your "spot" & make 2-3 laps without smashing the throttle. Park in your own tracks.  Pull gear in from there by hand.  Makes leaving a breeze keeping sled out of slush, & giving a starting point that's already packed.

stop it , I never unhooked my 200 lb monster what ya using a kitty cat ,  :o I'm not pulling my rig by hand it out weighs me  ;)

Offline Zpotter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5512 on: Feb 16, 2014, 02:49 PM »
You never know unless you try. But I do know that you can't catch them on the couch!

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5513 on: Feb 16, 2014, 02:57 PM »
Nope. Not wheaties Bcons. I think somebody pissed in his MINIwheats...sorry I had to do it HT. Period. End of story. Lmfao ::)
It'll eat.

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #5514 on: Feb 16, 2014, 03:05 PM »
Nope. Not wheaties Bcons. I think somebody pissed in his MINIwheats...sorry I had to do it HT. Period. End of story. Lmfao ::)

Cheif, are you proud to be an opportunist?

Offline Kowasz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5515 on: Feb 16, 2014, 03:06 PM »
Nice fish Kowasz!  Did you make that rod?  If so, where do you get your ice blanks?

Fished with BB4 same spot as yesterday until noon.  Not nearly as good.  Kept about 12 perch and 2 eyes.  6 of the perch where jumbos, the balance where 8.5" - 9".  Measured closely today, only wanted to keep enough of those smaller ones to make cleaning the 6 good ones worthwhile.   BB4 got both eyes.  Good for him, not so much for me.  A little more snow today didn't help the condtions any that's for sure.  Fish were not nearly as aggressive today, much harder to get them off the bottom.
Yes I did build it, I sent you a PM about the blanks.
Kowasz

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5516 on: Feb 16, 2014, 03:21 PM »
stop it , I never unhooked my 200 lb monster what ya using a kitty cat ,  :o I'm not pulling my rig by hand it out weighs me  ;)
Nah ride a 600.  Just maybe over cautious.
No one ever warned me, 25yrs ago got the tunnel & boggey wheels packed with snow and slush and it froze.  I was fishing solo.  Only way I found to clear it was shovel out the snow under it, drop it to the ice, then pick it up & drop it on the ice several times.  Splashing me with each drop with the water.
Then of course it wouldn't take off on the water & wet ice so had to pickup the back then front until I had it on all snow.
Paid dues that day I'll never forget.

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5517 on: Feb 16, 2014, 03:26 PM »
Cheif, are you proud to be an opportunist?

Lmfao!
It'll eat.

Offline timdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5518 on: Feb 16, 2014, 03:34 PM »
Yes I did build it, I sent you a PM about the blanks.

...Kingfisher,

I just had 3 rods built by Zach, and his work is on par with any of the big name rod builders. if you have a certain blank in mind he can even do a little tweeking of the action to your exact specs

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #5519 on: Feb 16, 2014, 04:08 PM »

Yesterdays spoils  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.