New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827218 times)

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #4440 on: Feb 04, 2014, 11:26 AM »
Oh Ya!  You ain't got those chains hooked up correctly!  They come off at 50 mph and your plastic fenders will be toast.   :o

Get it right HT.  ;)

You're right! He should have them hooked up to my sled so he can pull me out  ;D

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4441 on: Feb 04, 2014, 11:35 AM »
Nice ride HT. That should be great, especially this year with no slush!

That is a long walk Shane, I am surprised that you didn't do better in there. I have never fished it in the winter, just the edges.

Offline WaynefromMaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout and about
« Reply #4442 on: Feb 04, 2014, 11:41 AM »

nice machine HT

You're gonna need a pile of perch laying beside it, to get on.  I'd like to see that pic when you get out. Please
Enjoy the pleasure of others pleasure

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chief of the Fugowie tribe
« Reply #4443 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:11 PM »
Snagger just to be clear I've pm you 3 times about your system but it doesnt go through bro. P's me off because you give great info here about fishing. Bottom line is what do you mean by your boiler "kicks"?  is it tripping a limit or shutting down like normal when the temp is satisfied. If its kicking at low fire it and you've changed the flame sensor and the fuel pump and cleaned the filters, without putting a meter on it and having reference book, its prob a circuit board. If its shutting down like its satisfied by temp and not comming back on then I'd say check thermostat and control voltage like a transformer. Again I pm you but it doesnt get thru but your best option which kinda sux may be a pro.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #4444 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:13 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
NO more walking out for me  ;)

RIGHT ON HT!!! Great lookin ride! YOU ARE GONNA LOVE THE FREEDOM IT WILL BRING!!! You will now find things you never knew existed!!

Congrats bud!
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4445 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:13 PM »
My buddy called me this morning and told me I WON $800 on his Super Bowl pool.  Just order a new Ion, anybody looking for a older 2 stroke jiffy. What are they worth?

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #4446 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:14 PM »
  no I just been offline for day and half icydan, its there. just getting caught up....  sore throat, head ache from yesterdays adventure, just can't stay healthy this winter.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #4447 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:26 PM »

Wow just read 14 pages...

I think the key too the "New" Oneida, that's what we should called it, (Cross eyed and others know what I'm talking about.) is you got too stay ahead of the crowd.. Here on the salmon river I have a "Rule", never fish behind the driftboats, when I'm steelheading I do a quick drive bye to see where everyone is, Then I make a plan, usually I'm successful if I get well ahead of them, then come back later and fish well behind them.. Well Oneidas no different, you can't fish for last weeks bite, everything has an order, if they were pounding them at 113, last weekend, ten to one the noise pushed them away or 40 pails have already been taken, either way, your fishin behind someone elses leftovers, you got too think and get ahead of the masses.  If your always fishin virgin ice, ten too one you find a group of fish and get 2 days out of it before everyone figures out your on em, then your done with that spot and its time too find the next bite, this is how I think and plan my trips, I mean when theres safe ice, early ice don't count, we just fish where we can..

I was fortunate enough to just catch the tail end of the "old Oneida, green pea soup water, then the muscles cleaned it up, first 2 yrs on the ice we all fished off buckets, no shanties anywhere, except permanent ones.  that was brutal, we got a made these days.

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4448 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:56 PM »
When you guys are looking for fish do you stay in one area or do you travel far to another place?? Example: Let's say im fishing a bay and im looking for fish. Do you punch holes all over the bay till you find fish or pick up and go elsewhere. How much time do you waste looking for fish before you make a move?? And if you make the move how far do you go?? Just think im doing something wrong. I have a fl8 so it's not like im fishing blind. Any suggestions or tips??

I usually pick a starting point and try to make a circle hitting the structure in the area (drops, flats, shallow, and deep water).  I drill a couple holes, set up a dead stick and my jigging rod.  If I mark fish I’ll stick around for a bit.  If I can’t get them to hit after 5-10 fish, I move on to the next spot.  I usually make a 1-2 mile loop if I don’t happen across a school that is cooperative.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4449 on: Feb 04, 2014, 01:02 PM »
hey cross eye I remember as a kid fishing out by wantry island   frenchmans and the pickle hole. I remember the tree on the island also.  We were called the bucket brigade,back then. You had to be mobile also carry auger and 2 buckets. Sometimes not catch a fish until noon sunday on a weekend trip and then kill them for the afternoon. How do you think todays icefishing crowd would fare back then. Couldnt afford a shanty or machine no electronics walk and fish 3- 4 miles a day  WHEW   beni
Don't know if you were out there in the mid 60's but as soon as the ice was a foot thick, we'd be out there in a 1961 Chevy pick up.  Ugly dove tan color and white two tone.   My uncle Rocco had huge chains on the back tires.  That truck saw a lot of miles on Oneida lake each winter.   We'd drive right down the ramp at Tripps.  Uncle Rocco welded up the first flat bottom boat that Frank Tripp used to haul people out on the lake with.  Don't remember the size pipe they used but they made welded runners that looked like fence posts.  A cross bar on the front with a ring to hook the chain too.   Frank had a brand new Evinrude (I believe it was a Nordsman) snowmobile.  It was a beast and would haul 4 people and their gear all over the lake.  Kidneys took a beating but you got there in 10 minutes instead of an hour or more. 
  Didn't have to worry about liability insurance back then  ;D
  The crowds out by Wantry Island were huge back then considering hardly anyone had any transportation other than their feet..      Pretty amazing looking back and comparing those crowds with today's impatient types ! ;D    Spuds, Snab scoop augers and then the T handled Mora augers came out and we thought we had it made.   2 guys twisting one auger for 10 minutes to get through 12 inches of ice ! ::)
   The good old days !    The hot chocolate and Aunt Lucie's espresso coffee was always great !   The sips of groppa, brandy and wine were good too !   Especially for a 10 year old kid with cold feet ! ;D ;D

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4450 on: Feb 04, 2014, 01:13 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
NO more walking out for me  ;)
That thing is way to shiny clean HT, I got a mud bogg with your name on it!!!
Mine's a 95' Honda Fortrax, still going strong.

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4451 on: Feb 04, 2014, 01:25 PM »
Cross-eyed,  I remember all those catfish.  I was on the East end. When drifting for eyes we would catch a channel catfish (silver with a few black specks) for every 3 or 4 eyes.  When out of the water they would make that "geeeerkkkkk" sound.  Were very good eating.. Have not seen any of those in years.. The big old brown catfish were quite common but it seemed more in mid summer when we were fishing deeper water..  Penn Yan boats were the best back then. We first had a 16 ft with a 4 ft deck, I`d get tired, crawl up under the deck and sleep while my dad fished on... It had a false bottom and always had water in it.. Then got a 16 ft open. It could handle Oneida`s worse storms and was dry. Never a wave over the bow or even spray..  Lots of the Thompson lap boats then too..  We had a 22 hp Evenrude on it. Wrap the rope around the flywheel and pull.  If a passenger you had better duck as that knot stung... quart of oil to 5 gal of gas.  Must  admit electric start is pretty nice..
With 25 tip-ups in place we were busy, just keep walking up and down the rows. Look to see if the chicken rings were still visible, if gone we would check for fish or see if bait was gone.  Round and round the holes.. Must have walked 5 miles some days..   To me the greatest advances have been made in clothing.. So warm and lightweight now.. Those wool pants and hunting coats were warm but weighed a ton and soaked up water like a sponge..  Enough....
The Northeast corner of the lake was catfish Heaven !   The whole lake was full of cats but from the mouth of the canal to Cleveland was as good as it got back then.
  Not only the channel cats but we caught many flatheads on our trot lines.  Some pushing 40 lbs  :o :o    Wish I still had the picture standing next to my dad.  He was holding a big flathead and it was almost as long as I was at 8 years old !    Ive got to believe that there's still a few flatheads in Oneida.  One day, I'll drag big dead suckers across those mud flats to see if I can find one !
 I remember the channels cats back then being shiny like a brand new nickel !   Even with the clouded and muddy water conditions, those fish were beautiful.     Oneida still has a huge channel cat population.  If you hit it right, while everyone else is casting for walleyes in late October and Novemeber, those cats are running Oneida Creek, Canaseraga creek and Chittenango creek.  You can fill a freezer pretty quick !   They'll eat anything in the fall months !

It was amazing how small of a motor would push those giant Penn Yans and Thompsons.
Both of my uncles boats had 40 HP Johnson motors.   By todays standards, they'd be under powered by 100 HP or more !
  I was on the wrong end of a recoil rope a few times on our smaller boats.   :o :o
When my dad said....stand back, I looked around him to see how he was wrapping the rope around the flywheel.   Big Mistake !

I'm going to break out the modern technology this summer and target those channel cats again !  ;D

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4452 on: Feb 04, 2014, 01:26 PM »
You'd never leave the parking lot so you wouldn't need to worry about catching anything..... LOL..... ;)
That's enough out of you Flyboy ! :P ;D

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #4453 on: Feb 04, 2014, 01:50 PM »
got out this morning for a couple hrs. got 22 nice gills, and 3 decent perch. the borometer is screamin hi today. i think the fish have a headache today ::).   Sully...

sorry to go off like I did yesterday Bill. it was just a little to close for me.  Sully...

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4454 on: Feb 04, 2014, 02:19 PM »
:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4455 on: Feb 04, 2014, 02:20 PM »
I know some of you have been looking I just got in 6 7 and 8 in mora blades still working on lazers
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4456 on: Feb 04, 2014, 02:54 PM »

@)
:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

That's quite enough out of you too.......  ;D

Do the boyz a favor and get some Nils in there instead of Mora blades......  :)
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline fishernet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4457 on: Feb 04, 2014, 03:11 PM »
thanks sully, I was waiting all afternoon for bob to show up. when he did he was with you I thought maybe I will get a couple of fish now. in all my years I have never just fished 5 ft from someone without permission. because you and bob were together I didn't think much about it. I want say how sorry I am. life is short and we are constantly learning. lesson learned, ps I did managed to catch 2 6in gills after all that

Offline smb918

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4458 on: Feb 04, 2014, 03:15 PM »
I never hear of anybody going out of Godreys state launch  is it unsafe there or gaspockets can anybody let me know if its safe to go out of there?

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #4459 on: Feb 04, 2014, 03:28 PM »
Nice ride HT, you'll have a blast. I was out with Snagger yesterday working the edges of the shoals. Screen was empty. Snagger is right the crowds had pused the fish to a location where no one fished and was at. I can't believe the amount of people that were out this weekend. Oneida lake is huge but with that amount of people / pressure, it made it look small.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #4460 on: Feb 04, 2014, 03:29 PM »
Not sure where i'll be this weekend, for one thing it will be away from the crowds!!!!!!

Offline Dogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4461 on: Feb 04, 2014, 03:54 PM »
Nice ride HT, you'll have a blast. I was out with Snagger yesterday working the edges of the shoals. Screen was empty. Snagger is right the crowds had pused the fish to a location where no one fished and was at. I can't believe the amount of people that were out this weekend. Oneida lake is huge but with that amount of people / pressure, it made it look small.

Marked a bunch of fish in the morning yesterday away from the crowd at a spot I creamed them at last February but they were tight lipped.... Moved over to the shoals mid morning and marked zero... Did run into Snagger at Apps in the morning and was tempted to follow his lead but didn't.... I was star struck... Like meeting a legend... LOL  :o

Had lookers on the Vex all day but could only get two slob perch to commit, my buddy got one 10" eye to bite....

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #4462 on: Feb 04, 2014, 04:35 PM »
Marked a bunch of fish in the morning yesterday away from the crowd at a spot I creamed them at last February but they were tight lipped.... Moved over to the shoals mid morning and marked zero... Did run into Snagger at Apps in the morning and was tempted to follow his lead but didn't.... I was star struck... Like meeting a legend... LOL  :o

Had lookers on the Vex all day but could only get two slob perch to commit, my buddy got one 10" eye to bite....
   if you guys keep this up shanes head is going to swell up so big he won't be able to fit in his shelter  ;)  ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4463 on: Feb 04, 2014, 04:52 PM »
   if you guys keep this up shanes head is going to swell up so big he won't be able to fit in his shelter  ;)  ;D

thats to funny he doesn't have an ego , he just likes to be on top of the game , a very hard working guy , lots of studying , which if more did would be more successful , just think like a fish  ;) which I'm fortunate to fish with along with a few others  ,that make this ol buzzard work hard to keep me on top of my game , thanks guys  ;)

hey HT are you going to rack that one up ,

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4464 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:06 PM »
That's a pretty sweet machine there HT. 

Avoided the crowd on Saturday and took mt son snowmobiling.  Got out Sunday back to where I got the perch on Friday, still no one close but the fish were a little more finicky.  Took home 12 between the two of us and threw back a few short eyes.

Looks like a big mess of snow coming our way.  Will be few days before I get back out, gonna be doing some plowing.

Travel out there will be pretty difficult out there once this snow hits.  Hopefully it doesn't get too slushy.

Offline stringer01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4465 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:13 PM »
have fished with snag and the old buzzard very cool and very informative with a little courtesy not braggers just hard fishermen and they Love to do it like myself these guys bust em as good as anybody but can usually take it like Ht "s ride only a 500 will you have enough power to pull everyone out there and who"s got the step stool  all kidding aside sweet ride  enjoy !!!

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #4466 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:18 PM »
Just a joke, picking on him, he always helps me out when I ask. And I love reading his posts and seeing his pix

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #4467 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:20 PM »
Off subject but I noticed Marion manor was open this AM. I think I posted they were closed on Mon and tues ooops

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4468 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:23 PM »
HT  nice ride.  Maybe no one has said this yet, but put chains on the front too. It makes a big difference when we get that snow/slush on the ice. I have had a lot of those conditions on Sodus over the years , and the chains on all four tires helps in those situations.

Offline stringer01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4469 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:28 PM »
I said they are a good group of guys there is more of them also didnt say it to offend just bustin have fished with him to and the other guy that yells at the fish i think it was stormy!!! I was laughing all morning GOT HIM  SH** LOST HIM AT THE HOLE of coarse there was alot more he was so loud snag told him to shut up

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.