New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827231 times)

Offline #hardwaterisbest

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #3690 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:50 PM »

got my friends Grandson out yesterday. Watched him ice his first eye, a 15.5" keeper.  I iced a 25" burbot. Worth the trip to see him catch that fish!
You don't need a power auger for 4 inches of ice!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3691 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:50 PM »

try your reach for your leader works well we are about the same reach try a barrel and 24" leader when you see the swivel , fish almost in the hole and arm reach is perfect , but I don't need bait either so maybe I'm wrong on this to

Offline Fishhunter22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3692 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:51 PM »
Med rod, drag LOW, 8lb braid to swivel then to about 18" of mono 5lb. That's my jigging rod. I take my time with steady pressure all the way up..

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3693 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:52 PM »
A memory that will last a lifetime......Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
><> I was born to be a FISHERMAN !!!! <><

Offline bfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3694 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Thank you filet and pemad. It sucks driving two hrs and not know where to park. My stubborness will make me find fish on my own. Im not a crowd follower just not familiar with parking up there.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3695 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:52 PM »

HWIB thats a great pic , well done my man  :thumbsup:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3696 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Thank you filet and pemad. It sucks driving two hrs and not know where to park. My stubborness will make me find fish on my own. Im not a crowd follower just not familiar with parking up there.

that is a great question, I to if traveling would want to know a few basics at least , and parking here can be tough ,
tite lines

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3697 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:58 PM »
try your reach for your leader works well we are about the same reach try a barrel and 24" leader when you see the swivel , fish almost in the hole and arm reach is perfect , but I don't need bait either so maybe I'm wrong on this to

Lmfao  :thumbsup: Thanks. Wasn't even thinking about that to be honest
It'll eat.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3698 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:59 PM »
I run 8# Power Pro Ice Tec with 6# fluoro leader on one of my med. walleye rods. I keep the leader just long enough so the barrel swivel doesn't go into the guide when I'm landing a fish or putting the rod away. That's about 24" and it's not enough added stretch to kill the sensitivity.

I will be going to 4# and 6# Fireline on a couple of my rods when I re-spool though. The Power Pro is too limp and if you happen to get some slack in it it will tie itself in knots just like the open water stuff. Prefer the stiffer Fireline, never have wind knots with it, although it freezes up easier. Nothing's perfect.

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3699 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:07 PM »
Guys great discussion on braid. I became a "convert" for open water fishing quite a few years ago and it is the only thing I use except when fishing slip bobber rigs with bobber stops. The sensitivity and feel and the no stretch qualities far outperform mono. Took me a while to learn how to use it. For perch I use a 2 hook rig tied with mono attached to the braid with a swivel. Lost a lot of rigs until I got used to setting the hook and adjusting the drag. Never really thought about using it for hardwater but you guys have got me reconsidering.

We foolishly attempted to get out this morning. Got as far as North Bay before my buddy called me to say it was whiteout conditions further down the road. Headed home under some petty tough conditions but thankful we did not go out. 

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #3700 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:15 PM »

Glad this aint on Oneida, me trying to get out of my driveway just now.

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #3701 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:15 PM »

Fished out from Godfrey yesterday, it is plowed.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #3702 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:16 PM »

Glad this aint on Oneida, me trying to get out of my driveway just now.

yikes.....keep it up there please.....how did your boiler troubles make out

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #3703 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Guys I have a question. Ive been fishing off capman but I would like an option on north shore. Is godfrey plowed for ice fisherman or seasonal? Just looking for park spot near aps. Im on foot, no sled or atv trailer. Thanks in advance for any info
I was at Godfrey on Sunday b t didn't go out from there due to I had a wheeler and there was a ice heave which had a 3' drop off that had freshly frozen water on the other side of it. If you are walking the lot is plowed and you will be ok. Good luck.
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3704 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:18 PM »
  whatever, just thought there was a trick too this stiff line, no biggie I'll figure it out.  My advice too colleen would of been never give them any slack.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I  think  your  right  a  softer  tip  with  the braided , then  again  i dropped  my  first 2  on saturday  . But  thats  half  the  fun  of it  can't  get  them  all and  of  course  my  buddy is busting my b###s  the  whole time.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #3705 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:33 PM »

I'm an equal opportunity Eye Dropper.... Done it with both ;D

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3706 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Holy Crap Snag, I feel bad for you. Well atleast you have some insulation now.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3707 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:37 PM »
My buddy AugustWest talked me into braid late last summer. I have to agree with you guys about the sensitivity and no stretch. That's all I ran with my rod I used my sonars on. Very impressed...now my question to you guys is what brand and lb braid do you like to run on your ice rods? Also how long of a flouro leader do you like to run under it? 12", 24"? I would probably try a 12" 4 lb flouro leader to start. I am assuming a 12" flouro leader would have half of the amount of stretch as a 24" leader? Just would hate to tie too long a leader on and defeat the purpose of running the braid. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am just trying to gather as much information as possible. I am no means trying to spark a braid vs mono controversy here!! I would like to rig up a rod or two before my next outing.

I tie a 12 inch tag, too long it defeats the purpose for me, feels like mono again, get about 4 lure changes then tie again.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3708 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:38 PM »
Holy Crap Snag, I feel bad for you. Well atleast you have some insulation now.

Don't...I'm lovin it .....hope it keeps going...

Great eye there Jr., good stuff.  :thumbsup:

Offline Luckedog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3709 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:52 PM »
How was the wind today fellas? Tomorrow looks brutal........
Urban Redneck Association

Offline perryzf81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3710 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Buck 1, as good as you say I am, I still aspire to be as good as you..............
FISH  ON !!!

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #3711 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:40 PM »
I showed up late on Saturday with an hour to fish.  Walked out to the first drop off and got all set up.  Went to cut  hole and the auger just spun on the ice like I left the cover on.  I had an old knife sharpener and tried that but it just broke in the cold.  20 minutes, some new swear words and a slight heart attack later I cut a hole.  Catch one short and pack it in to find a replacement blade set.  Gander....bzzzzz. Nope.  I ask the kid where a local hardware store is.  Silly me, I was using Ancient Norse Dialect.  Where is Lowes or Depot.  Once there a small file was purchased.  I figure if an 8 year old Chinese kid can sharpen the blades before shipment then so can I.  So there I am at Godfrey launch at 1130 at night sharpening the blades until they work.  I will now go by the name Xoixzu Zchang cause it worked better than before.  Slept there and was back on the ice by 530.  Tried the top, bottom and flat of the drop off.  Ended the afternoon with 6 shorts.  Went to Lewis for the first time.  Stayed off to myself and picked up 6 more shorts by sunset. At least I'm not so fat as I walked my Swedish Pimple off! I say good bye to Oneida lake for a while.  Thanks for the workout. See you in a month. :'(
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #3712 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:16 PM »

I tie a 12 inch tag, too long it defeats the purpose for me, feels like mono again, get about 4 lure changes then tie again.

Try using a small, black Fast-Lock snap http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-FastLock-Bass-Snap/product/7816/
Fish don't seem to care and easy to open/close with frozen fingers.
The tug is the drug.

Offline wallperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3713 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:35 PM »
New to the site (well I've been creeping but no acct.) Pretty new to hardwater fishing but being I live across 100 feet from Oneida figured I'd give it a shot, after weekend #1 it was time to build a shanty and a rack for the snowmobile, getting decent at catching perch off of Edgewater but no eyes yet. This site is great, tons of info if you start digging for it.  My 3 year old iced his first perch Sunday,  good times...

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #3714 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:42 PM »
I spooled up with fireline for this season. My opinion...if you have a shanty then get it. It is sensitive and toughhh. However, it freezes up like a *******. Ill be switching back to flouro as I hate taking my gloves off every 5 mins to clear ice off the line/guides.

Offline oneidaeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Also known as FISH ON on MFF!
« Reply #3715 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:37 PM »
Shane you need to buy yourself a 4x4. time to retire the wagon??? Lol    brian

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3716 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:07 AM »
I spooled up with fireline for this season. My opinion...if you have a shanty then get it. It is sensitive and toughhh. However, it freezes up like a *******. Ill be switching back to flouro as I hate taking my gloves off every 5 mins to clear ice off the line/guides.
Get yourself a spray can of "Food Grade Silicone" or Blakemores "Reel & Line Magic"  (Basically the same stuff but the Blakemores is in a small can and costs much more)
   Spray your guides, line and spool.  It repels moisture.  If you work it into braided lines, it will minimize the amount of water that stays on the line when you reel up.
  I've used "Rain-X" with the same results.   You can also use those spray waxes that dry quickly or tire shine sprays.  I've tried several and they've had no ill effects on the Fireline but to be safe, test them on your line first.
  The other option would be to buy Berkley NanoFil.   It has the same characteristics as braid but it's fused together, it's round and it doesn't absorb water.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3717 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:06 AM »
Get yourself a spray can of "Food Grade Silicone" or Blakemores "Reel & Line Magic"  (Basically the same stuff but the Blakemores is in a small can and costs much more)
   Spray your guides, line and spool.  It repels moisture.  If you work it into braided lines, it will minimize the amount of water that stays on the line when you reel up.
  I've used "Rain-X" with the same results.   You can also use those spray waxes that dry quickly or tire shine sprays.  I've tried several and they've had no ill effects on the Fireline but to be safe, test them on your line first.
  The other option would be to buy Berkley NanoFil.   It has the same characteristics as braid but it's fused together, it's round and it doesn't absorb water.

Yeah. I use Line Butter. Both to help get the twist out of my fluoro and to help with the freezing on the braid. Seems to help.

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3718 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:41 AM »
Nanofil is good stuff, I use it all the time.  But make no mistake, it sucks in freezing weather.  No better or worse than other braids I have used in freezing weather.  Best be in a shanty if you plan on using it.

Offline Kowasz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3719 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:19 AM »
I use a modified albright knot to attach braid to a floro leader for bass in the summer, and also use it to tie a leader to hydrofloat for salmon and steelhead, it passes through guides easily and is a strong connection. haven't used braid on the ice yet as I really don't like fishing in a hut.
Kowasz

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.