New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827231 times)

Offline rickstint

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #3300 on: Jan 23, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Anybody know anything about the bait shop just before the bridge in Sylvan Beach? Hours?
the bait store befor bridge is boufs bait and tackle 6830 main street verona beach  315-877-2499 open 5.30 am- 5.00 pm

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #3301 on: Jan 23, 2014, 04:42 PM »
First time in a long time I was completely skunked. No bites. Nada. Oneida you miserable mistress. I'll get you back

Offline buck 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3302 on: Jan 23, 2014, 04:44 PM »
happens to the best of us. you will be back
ml

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3303 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:08 PM »
I know our tolerances on wind differ from person to person, but for you Oneida veterans out there, what is your threshold on wind speed and how it affects your decision to go out on the ice due to safety and or fish productivity?  I'd like to get out on Saturday, but it looks like it's going to be pretty windy.  I probably won't go out too far, but am I wasting my time getting out if the fish just shut down under these conditions?
With me wind speed is more a question of practicality.  If I can securely anchor my shanty, stay warm and fish in it without it getting shredded I probably will.  One of my best bites ever the wind had to be gusting over 40.  Before I got my anchors in a gust of wind ripped one of the lines I was anchoring my shanty with out of my hand and the whole works slid off the hole parallel to the wind (one anchor was secure).  Everything in the shanty including my vex blew down the lake until hit a pressure crack (fortunately it was only about 50 yards away).  My bucket of about 15 perch was literally 10 feet in the air flying toward Sylvan beach like a Wegman's bag blown out of an 18 wheeler on the Thruway on the way to Seneca Meadows landfill.  Never did see that bucket again.  My shanty was flattened and the poles bent like pretzels but with the help of my friend we got it anchored, sufficiently straightened out and continued to fish.  Wind kept building until the point we each had our heels in the holes to hold the thing down.  At that point we had to quit, but managed to fill a pail in not much more than hour while we could still fish.  The tough part was seeing the bite because everything was shaking so much.  Had similarly successful days crappie fishing in the wind, although not quite as windy.  Long story short:  I haven't found the wind to be a bite killer, if you can deal with it.

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3304 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:11 PM »
...but watch for whiteouts!

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3305 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:16 PM »
43* 13.860N. 75* 52.889W

APPS??

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3306 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:20 PM »
zaphod4 i saw on my navionics you had plugged in a bunch of gas holes awesome job just wanted to say thanks i appreciate that info i was wondering if everybody could get together with info on gas holes and get all of them posted on navionics even possible ones so at least we know to look out this time of year doing alot of cruising looking for the hot bite covering tons of ice especially out deeper during the mid season hate to hit a hole a mile or two from the pack thanks agian for putting them up

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3307 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:29 PM »
zaphod4 i saw on my navionics you had plugged in a bunch of gas holes awesome job just wanted to say thanks i appreciate that info i was wondering if everybody could get together with info on gas holes and get all of them posted on navionics even possible ones so at least we know to look out this time of year doing alot of cruising looking for the hot bite covering tons of ice especially out deeper during the mid season hate to hit a hole a mile or two from the pack thanks agian for putting them up

There has also been a separate thread started for the gas holes..fyi

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3308 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:35 PM »
With everyone getting all excited about the navi app, please remember 1 thing this weekend with this weather forecast.  While it's certainly a great app, you're still limited by the battery life of your phone.  Those with the actual Handheld are in better shape, however still at mercy of battery life etc.

Snow although seemingly no alot is supposed to fall starting tonight through the weekend.  This cold it will be very light dry snow.  Combine that with 10-20 mph winds gusting to 30.  Whiteout conditions........... 

Oneida is a big lake to trust to an app on your phone.  JMHO  carry a compass good luck

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3309 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:42 PM »
With everyone getting all excited about the navi app, please remember 1 thing this weekend with this weather forecast.  While it's certainly a great app, you're still limited by the battery life of your phone.  Those with the actual Handheld are in better shape, however still at mercy of battery life etc.

Snow although seemingly no alot is supposed to fall starting tonight through the weekend.  This cold it will be very light dry snow.  Combine that with 10-20 mph winds gusting to 30.  Whiteout conditions........... 

Oneida is a big lake to trust to an app on your phone.  JMHO  carry a compass good luck

Good advice, never a bad idea to have a back up plan.  Very easy to get turned around out there.

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3310 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Fished with my bud today on his birthday.  Was a tough one, marked fish everywhere we went but getting them to commit was tough.  Moved around a bit and was great day to be out but just couldn't find legal eyes.  I never have good luck for eyes on the south shore in the winter and having a difficult time locating the perch. 

Also noticed that Ice has not gained much and seemed to be 11" most places although there was one spot out near the channel that measured 20". I'm guessing some ice got stacked there when she was freezing up.

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3311 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:49 PM »
With me wind speed is more a question of practicality.  If I can securely anchor my shanty, stay warm and fish in it without it getting shredded I probably will.  One of my best bites ever the wind had to be gusting over 40.  Before I got my anchors in a gust of wind ripped one of the lines I was anchoring my shanty with out of my hand and the whole works slid off the hole parallel to the wind (one anchor was secure).  Everything in the shanty including my vex blew down the lake until hit a pressure crack (fortunately it was only about 50 yards away).  My bucket of about 15 perch was literally 10 feet in the air flying toward Sylvan beach like a Wegman's bag blown out of an 18 wheeler on the Thruway on the way to Seneca Meadows landfill.  Never did see that bucket again.  My shanty was flattened and the poles bent like pretzels but with the help of my friend we got it anchored, sufficiently straightened out and continued to fish.  Wind kept building until the point we each had our heels in the holes to hold the thing down.  At that point we had to quit, but managed to fill a pail in not much more than hour 7while we could still fish.  The tough part was seeing the bite because everything was shaking so much.  Had similarly successful days crappie fishing in the wind, although not quite as windy.  Long story short:  I haven't found the wind to be a bite killer, if you can deal with it.

Thanks for your opinion.  I agree...everyone has their limits.  As far as wind being a bite killer..maybe its true and maybe its not.  I'm sure there are some of you guys that can prove that wrong.  I've never had much luck fishing on windy days although I will say that I probably never gave it a chance.  If anything..maybe this wind that we are supposedly going to get over the next few days will blow the snow around and create easy walking/dragging conditions next week.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3312 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:59 PM »
...but watch for whiteouts!

Coolest whiteout I ever saw was on Oneida. 1990ish and dad and I are off the north shore with out PolarPals and our 70's Susuki 440. His is tied to the front ski of the snowmobile and mine is tied to the handle bar of the pull behind dogsled we used. Snowed so hard a few times we could barely and I mean barely see each other...

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #3313 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:03 PM »

very good post bcons ;D the bass master has spoken :bow: :bow: :roflmao:
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3314 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:07 PM »
  Good advice guy's. A compass is a must have item  out there. Take a reading while you can still see your shore access point....or just knowing which way is North can be a big help.

Don't have a compass? You should get one. If you don't have one, a good habit is to "scratch or chisel" a big arrow into the ice  where you set up ,pointing to the  exact direction you need to go in order to get back to your shore access point  if there is a chance of a whiteout, or pea soup fog rolling in.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline krogals

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3315 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:07 PM »
It's always a good idea to have a good old fashion compass.  This morning on the ride out it was so cold that my I phone battery drained while I was trying to use Navionics went from 100% to 0 in about 1 Min.  had to hold it next to the exhaust on the wheeler to thaw it back out.  Hate to have that happen in whiteout conditions! Now a days we rely on technology way to much and could get you in trouble!

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3316 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:33 PM »

That's why I'm glad I have a cigarette lighter adapter on the wheeler so I bring my car charger and I in business
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3317 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:36 PM »
That's why I'm glad I have a cigarette lighter adapter on the wheeler so I bring my car charger and I in business
  Just don't drop the phone on the ice....or into a hole or bait bucket!! LOL
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline 315cnote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3318 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:40 PM »
It's always a good idea to have a good old fashion compass.  This morning on the ride out it was so cold that my I phone battery drained while I was trying to use Navionics went from 100% to 0 in about 1 Min.  had to hold it next to the exhaust on the wheeler to thaw it back out.  Hate to have that happen in whiteout conditions! Now a days we rely on technology way to much and could get you in trouble!

i cant stand that! happens to me all the time im out there until i get the heater runnin and get it warm

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3319 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:43 PM »
If you are using the app on your phone a lot it will drain your battery quick, so I wen to wall mart and got a charger for 20 bucks that you can charge the phone up. says you can do it many times with this. I used it the other day and it put my phone right back to 100 percent. although this helps still have a compass

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3320 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:46 PM »

well had a good day with my bud Nyman  got some nice perch and sneaked back in to a late just before dark spot and and landed a a nice limit of eyes , off the north shore all the places I fished the ice was 12-14"

from what I'm told if you take your phones off community , then your not sharing your info

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3321 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:51 PM »
well had a good day with my bud Nyman  got some nice perch and sneaked back in to a late just before dark spot and and landed a a nice limit of eyes , off the north shore all the places I fished the ice was 12-14"

from what I'm told if you take your phones off community , then your not sharing your info
Good Job filet and nyman !!

Offline Icepro4723

• IceShanty Rookie
Oneida
« Reply #3322 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Looking to head out there this weekend need to know of a please I can go out of and catch some eyes.

Offline phisinbob

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Oneida
« Reply #3323 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:56 PM »
170 pages on the diehard thread. Check it out TONS of info.

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3324 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:56 PM »

Got a Jockery battery pack from amazon for $30. It's smaller then the phone. Will charge my phone 3 times from dead on one of its chages. I just keep it in my inside coat pocket. Came in handy last week when the fog rolled in and I had Ben listening to music all morning.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
Re: Oneida
« Reply #3325 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:00 PM »
170 pages on the diehard thread. Check it out TONS of info.

Lots of great and recent info there. Good luck.

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3326 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:00 PM »
It's nice to be able to share the gas holes on navonics
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline mudmaster315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3327 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:03 PM »
Anyone know if they are still catch in eyes in 3 mile
Here fishy fishy fishy, Im gonna get ya!

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3328 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:05 PM »
Anyone know if they are still catch in eyes in 3 mile

What's 3 miles?? Where's that??? ;D

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3329 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:09 PM »
I think he meant three mile bay.  Right off Phillips point.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.