New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827220 times)

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #2820 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:26 AM »
Fantastic job out there yesterday guys! Absolutely LOVE the lawyer pics! Beautiful Burbies! The mighty lota, lota demands respect! It's a ling thing ! No doubt about the eel pout! Hmmmm, do I have any more? Ah yes! My favorite, MUD BLOWER!
      finally fried one up from now on, I just call them yummy

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #2821 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:27 AM »
     i was doing some thinking and if you put some ice skates on your feet you can steer your motor cycle better on the ice. just a thought.

As soon as I buy a new front tire, I plan on studding it.

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2822 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:32 AM »
Never seen so many guys in the parking lots as yesterday, holy crap, and that was fairly early.
stopped at bartel rd bait shop, nice guys, nice shop; we usually hit apps, but weren't going quite that far east,
plus wanted to check it out anyhow.
Anyway, had five guys on foot cuz we had a trailer issue, walked out from taft in the blizzard, couldn't see chit.
we missed the shanty town to the west(dakin?), dropped in 30 fow, zip, moved in a little, zip.
move in a little more, all told a couple shorts,a couple perch, left at 1:00 so we could catch the SU game.
Still payin dues..

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #2823 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:32 AM »
As soon as I buy a new front tire, I plan on studding it.
     shouldn't you stud the back tire pooch? And maybe a ski on the front

Offline obrien380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2824 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Went to the sports show yesterday really good event the girlfriend even liked it. Those maki plastics are some awesome stuff got a few bags and entered about $200 worth of raffles the NRA clubs had some really nice rifle raffles. Will most definitely be going back next year hope to see more ice fishing gear for sale thought.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2825 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:40 AM »
Nice pile of lawyers Hookinup!

Lots of 7"-9" perch out there right now, next year should be good!

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #2826 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:42 AM »
True story out Thursday morning had my mini. aqua view down watching my jig.looked away for a second, looked back and the screen is completely white.so I think oh crap what's wrong with my camera. Then I see a fish throut,a burbut face and he swims away. just as my pole goes down yep another burbut that's the one I fried up it didn't look like it was going to taste good but it was delish sweet and not fishy at all.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #2827 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:52 AM »
     shouldn't you stud the back tire pooch? And maybe a ski on the front

Back tire is chained works great, front tire dry rotted bad but holds air due to tube. it works okay but with that glare ice i had trouble turning sharp. no problems straight ahead or small turns. in the snow no problems so i should be fine

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #2828 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:54 AM »
Got my old man out yesterday for the first time this year. We iced 14 eyes. Only 4 keepers. 2 for me 1 for him. I drilled a hole between us so we could both use my vex. His first time ever using a flasher. I thinks he's hooked now. He's already talking about going to buy a bunch if gear now. Well here's my two...18 and 19 1/2

??? ??? ??? 4 keepers  ??? ??? ??? 2 for me and 1 for him  ??? ??? ??? am I missing something ??? ??? ???

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2829 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:56 AM »
Had a good day out there today. Took home 50 perch, 8 burbot and 2 eyes. The perch were on the small side... lots of 8's and 9's...with a few jumbos mixed in. That's ok though...I'm craving some poor man's shrimp. I don't usually keep burbot, but I do keep them in the pail until I leave because they have a tendency to hang around, and I believe it spooks the perch. I just decided to clean some this time. Everything was caught in 20 fow at the same spot. Only drilled two holes all day. Best presentation  for me today was a small tungsten jig head with an impulse plastic mayfly larvae threaded on. Even caught a walleye and a couple burbot on that. Other than that, I was using a glow-perch #3 rap.
****Two different guys wandered up to my shanty today during the white-out, and asked me where in the heck they were. One guy was at least 3/4 of a mile from where he thought he was. He was walking and dragging a shanty too. He was also headed South, when he thought he was heading North!! GUYS...bring a compass or a GPS!!!!!!!!! ****  I was alone and couldn't leave my gear for fear of it getting blown over, or else I would have gave them a lift in the right direction. Felt bad about that...

Congrats   on  an  awesome day. This  is  why  we  keep  goingback  to  Oneida  ,  impressive.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #2830 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:04 AM »
Motorcycle on ice you say? Is this you?
hehe I think those of us dragging sleds are doing something wrong  :P don't ask how I found that vid. I'm a motorhead

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2831 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:19 AM »
he probly fished in aspawn area. they are spawing now.    burbot!

thats right I forgot they spawn from Dec-March

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2832 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:26 AM »
Got my old man out yesterday for the first time this year. We iced 14 eyes. Only 4 keepers. 2 for me 1 for him. I drilled a hole between us so we could both use my vex. His first time ever using a flasher. I thinks he's hooked now. He's already talking about going to buy a bunch if gear now. Well here's my two...18 and 19 1/2

??? ??? ??? 4 keepers  ??? ??? ??? 2 for me and 1 for him  ??? ??? ??? am I missing something ??? ??? ???

:woot: waiting patiently for the answer to this question ;D

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2833 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:50 AM »
Lmao. I was just gunna let it slide

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2834 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:56 AM »
Sorry I mis-typed? I fixed it maybe 2 mins after after I seen my own post. Sorry for such the big in inconvenience pooch...and coach stop instigating! ::)
It'll eat.

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2835 on: Jan 19, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Sorry I mis-typed? I fixed it maybe 2 mins after after I seen my own post. Sorry for such the big in inconvenience pooch...and coach stop instigating! ::)
That's it a typo!!???  ???  ??? I was hoping for a big long story.  ;D

Offline IKEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2836 on: Jan 19, 2014, 10:12 AM »
I used to take personal time out of my schedule to teach adults and most importantly youngsters how to ice fish. It's just that sometimes it gets a bit frustrating lending an ear or giving some friendly advice to strangers on the forums, just to end up getting aggravated because it wasn't enough for some as they make that perfectly clear when they pm you asking for more detailed information, then get mad because you didn't offer up your coordinates. It's just crazy to me, but like I said earlier, maybe I'm on my own in my views, but I know there are many others here that feel the same. I used to contribute much more to this forum but was overwhelmed with inconsiderate people after a while. When it comes to getting help along the way, yes, yes I have been given pointers by other more experienced fisherman at some point or another, and I am still learning. I am 45 years old now, and as God is my witness I've made my own path in this sport, way back when, I fished by myself 95 percent of the time, I used to get my hands on every fathomable piece of info I could so that I could gain knowledge and put it to the test, that gave me a sense of accomplishment that I would not trade with anyone ever! I've ice fished on every possible level one can think of, from national championships In the furthest reaches of northern minessota and Wisconsin too backyard ponds with kids. I consider myself somewhat of an ambassador to the sport, through the countless hours I've spent on the ice to teaching kids how to fish at pre tournament clinics. I just wanted to get one thing straight, I have ALWAYS done what I can to help others out in this sport, but it gets frustrating sometimes when people basically expect handouts, I guess that's the world we live in now for the most part, instant gratification at all costs, makes me kinda sad that's all. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers here, I was just trying to get a point across.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #2837 on: Jan 19, 2014, 10:56 AM »

pooch...........he is fulton and those poeple are not good with numbers/ counting is not a strong point for sure............lmfao. ..............sorry cheif........WTH...... ..i cant say anymore i am laughing too hard..........omg :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :woot: :whistle: :whistle: :thumbsup:
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline Hookinup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release ... into the grease!
« Reply #2838 on: Jan 19, 2014, 11:14 AM »
Here's a youtube clip where a guy cleans and cooks a burbot right on the ice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMdD8egU_ac
Always remember .... they have a brain the size of a pea! How hard can it be? ???

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2839 on: Jan 19, 2014, 11:20 AM »
pooch...........he is fulton and those poeple are not good with numbers/ counting is not a strong point for sure............lmfao. ..............sorry cheif........WTH...... ..i cant say anymore i am laughing too hard..........omg :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :woot: :whistle: :whistle: :thumbsup:

Why didn't ya go out fishing today HT? Snow too deep?...
It'll eat.

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #2840 on: Jan 19, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Too funny H.T.!  Word on the street is that they can't count their gems and get the same number twice! :woot: :woot:
Then how did they derive the equation...Pole+Line+Water=Fish???  Word is that the Palermo boys showed 'em?? :woot: :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :icefish:
Wayne W.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #2841 on: Jan 19, 2014, 11:48 AM »
18" perch ??? lets see some pictures of those. me and son have caught perch that were over the 15" mark but they were caught in sandy pond. the perch that is getting mounted was out of oneida lake. 14" long and 12" around. a totally different type of perch then anywhere else.   ;D

I'll see if I can get some pictures.... here's the 14 5/8 i caught not the 12" girth like you had but still a nice jumbo.... You don't find them too often like this down by me

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #2842 on: Jan 19, 2014, 11:50 AM »
Nice Eyes Chief!!! :thumbsup:
Wayne W.

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #2843 on: Jan 19, 2014, 11:51 AM »
Nice striper Loud! :thumbsup:
Wayne W.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2844 on: Jan 19, 2014, 11:57 AM »
Lol quit picking on the Oswego county boys for their Cipher-n'  deys got a good edumacation in skool.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2845 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:00 PM »
I'm out on the lake now.  Its confusing.  3 different spots that worked well last couple weeks didn't mark a thing.  1 I sat and waited jigging for 2 hours Nada. Have moved several times found some but nothing spectacular. 

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #2846 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:08 PM »
Anyone ever try bucktail jigs through the ice? I use them in soft water a lot. A few I have are meant for vertical jigging. I'm gonna try em next time I go out. Rummaging through my softwater tacklebox for goodies :p

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chief of the Fugowie tribe
« Reply #2847 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:15 PM »
       I must say, I am impressed. It is nice to see some eloquent, well written posts and opinions. Both sides of the issue are well stated, starting  with a perhaps a bit overstated opinion by Iceaddict followed by a well written mea culpa by billybob 851 and an excellent rejoinder by burningdownthehouse. All proof we are more than just a bunch of dumb rednecks. It is nice to read some posts and commentary infused with more than YEH! X2 , Nice Fish, That's what I'm talking about and mindless commentary and quips of one another's fishing exploits.
       As iceaddict stated , that is his opinion and properly shared by many on this forum, however it has always been my opinion that we ISers are here not only to kibitx and chide one another about our fishing skills or lack thereof, but also to welcome our newbies and those who are honestly seeking improvement with their fishing skills. I myself have had to map this perilous trek to acquire  ice fishing mastery, alternately through self deprecating humor and  honest genuine inquiry. It is no dishonor to ask questions. It is however laziness on the part of the knowledge seeker as nightfisher has alluded to in the previous post when the answer is available with a little extra back reading.
       Further, it has always been my nature to go directly to the source. I make every effort to first read and then to develop a relationship with the person I am seeking to gain knowledge from primarily via PMing them. That way, the offerer of  knowledge is left to sift through his emails and to determine if he or she chooses to share this knowledge or not. This is not to say, iceaddict, Snagger, Filetandrelease ,KP, DD or Sully are obligated to respond, but it yields to them the option of answering or not. This way the inquirer is not subject to full frontal assault for asking the most benign of questions.
       Lastly, all of the aforementioned and many other experts I have failed to mention are genuine emissaries of the sport and will depart to you as much information as they feel you can handle. We, here in the central and northern region have a great bunch of guys to learn from. We are so blessed, just don't ask me the co-ordinates of the "Honey Hole"  ;)2

"REJOINDER" JBoggey Ive had both hips replaced is that a re-joinder hahaha  sorry just had to bring the discourse back down to a disrespectful level hahaha  Kidding all....just kidding.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2848 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:26 PM »

Why didn't ya go out fishing today HT? Snow too deep?...
yep.... did not want not to deal with the snow. correct ;)

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2849 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:31 PM »
Anyone ever try bucktail jigs through the ice? I use them in soft water a lot. A few I have are meant for vertical jigging. I'm gonna try em next time I go out. Rummaging through my softwater tacklebox for goodies :p
no. the feed is differnet in the winter

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.