New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827216 times)

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #2790 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:34 PM »
looks like you are the new Burbot master ;D ;D :icefish: :woot:
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #2791 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:36 PM »
Challenge accepted. Biggest burb wins  ;)

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2792 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:39 PM »
Glad you could find em...13..5/8 means you need a 14". I talked with some folks today out there. The perch bite was a tough one. Let me guess..your after Mr Waldo tommorrow??
i already got a 14" going on the wall from last year. me and coach were after perch half that size but these big ones kept getting in the way ::). we are practicing for the up coming sandy pond dink fest perch derby ;) oh ya i am sleeping in tomorrow ;) nice job to all of the guys out there that were able to get on some fish. it was tuff out there for sure :)

Offline Hookinup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release ... into the grease!
« Reply #2793 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:44 PM »
I'm sleeping in too...but I bet there is a hot bite in the morning. Barometer is gonna fall hard ahead of the front that is coming. Winds are going to crank up...but should be fishable until 11:00 or so.
Always remember .... they have a brain the size of a pea! How hard can it be? ???

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #2794 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:53 PM »
i already got a 14" going on the wall from last year. me and coach were after perch half that size but these big ones kept getting in the way ::). we are practicing for the up coming sandy pond dink fest perch derby ;) oh ya i am sleeping in tomorrow ;) nice job to all of the guys out there that were able to get on some fish. it was tuff out there for sure :)

Good for you putting a 14" on the wall congrats.... I caught one this year 14 5/8 down in southern ny and didn't even think about putting it on the wall since I know someone who has two 18"ers on the wall that were caught 20 minutes from my house.... looking back that 14 5/8 perch is my pb by probably 2 inches but I have a muskie that I should be getting back soon so one at a time lol

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2795 on: Jan 18, 2014, 11:37 PM »
18" perch ??? lets see some pictures of those. me and son have caught perch that were over the 15" mark but they were caught in sandy pond. the perch that is getting mounted was out of oneida lake. 14" long and 12" around. a totally different type of perch then anywhere else.   ;D

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2796 on: Jan 19, 2014, 01:59 AM »
i am gonna have to start tipping the mod's to fix my pics i am bad at this computer thing
All fixed! ;)

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2797 on: Jan 19, 2014, 04:09 AM »
Had a good day out there today. Took home 50 perch, 8 burbot and 2 eyes. The perch were on the small side... lots of 8's and 9's...with a few jumbos mixed in. That's ok though...I'm craving some poor man's shrimp. I don't usually keep burbot, but I do keep them in the pail until I leave because they have a tendency to hang around, and I believe it spooks the perch. I just decided to clean some this time. Everything was caught in 20 fow at the same spot. Only drilled two holes all day. Best presentation  for me today was a small tungsten jig head with an impulse plastic mayfly larvae threaded on. Even caught a walleye and a couple burbot on that. Other than that, I was using a glow-perch #3 rap.
****Two different guys wandered up to my shanty today during the white-out, and asked me where in the heck they were. One guy was at least 3/4 of a mile from where he thought he was. He was walking and dragging a shanty too. He was also headed South, when he thought he was heading North!! GUYS...bring a compass or a GPS!!!!!!!!! ****  I was alone and couldn't leave my gear for fear of it getting blown over, or else I would have gave them a lift in the right direction. Felt bad about that...

Those mayfly larvae are great. It's amazing the size of the fish that'll take them. Never seen anything like those burbot myself though. Impressive fish.

Offline LookingforEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2798 on: Jan 19, 2014, 04:17 AM »
That is an insane amount of burbots!  Never seen that many in one outing before!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2799 on: Jan 19, 2014, 05:27 AM »

Jim you are the burbout title holder and big ones to  :bow:[[ KING BURBOT]

Offline chubrock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2800 on: Jan 19, 2014, 05:28 AM »
That is an insane amount of burbots!  Never seen that many in one outing before!

I iced 3 the other day and lost 4 more at the hole. They are all over the lake. Fun to catch. But when your serching for perch and eyes they can become a pain in the ars.
Bait it. Jig it. Hook it.

Offline minettoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2801 on: Jan 19, 2014, 05:30 AM »
Had a good day out there today. Took home 50 perch, 8 burbot and 2 eyes. The perch were on the small side... lots of 8's and 9's...with a few jumbos mixed in. That's ok though...I'm craving some poor man's shrimp. I don't usually keep burbot, but I do keep them in the pail until I leave because they have a tendency to hang around, and I believe it spooks the perch. I just decided to clean some this time. Everything was caught in 20 fow at the same spot. Only drilled two holes all day. Best presentation  for me today was a small tungsten jig head with an impulse plastic mayfly larvae threaded on. Even caught a walleye and a couple burbot on that. Other than that, I was using a glow-perch #3 rap.
****Two different guys wandered up to my shanty today during the white-out, and asked me where in the heck they were. One guy was at least 3/4 of a mile from where he thought he was. He was walking and dragging a shanty too. He was also headed South, when he thought he was heading North!! GUYS...bring a compass or a GPS!!!!!!!!! ****  I was alone and couldn't leave my gear for fear of it getting blown over, or else I would have gave them a lift in the right direction. Felt bad about that...

Holy cow batman...you smoked em...even on day when the perch fishing was tough. I want on of those mayfly perch imitations....where did you get that?
When I go fishing I like to know that there's nobody within five miles of me.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #2802 on: Jan 19, 2014, 05:47 AM »

Jim, I hope you save a few of those fillets for me.... Burbot that is  ;D ;D ;D ;D Great job bro!!!!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2803 on: Jan 19, 2014, 06:06 AM »
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2804 on: Jan 19, 2014, 06:09 AM »
Great song

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #2805 on: Jan 19, 2014, 06:14 AM »

Jim you are the burbout title holder and big ones to  :bow:[[ KING BURBOT]
Yes sir! Nice going Jim! :thumbsup:
Wayne W.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2806 on: Jan 19, 2014, 06:20 AM »

Awesome music video, really hits home for me...
good post eddie. the song rules and the words from that old guy at the end says it all. END OF STORY ;)

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2807 on: Jan 19, 2014, 06:27 AM »
Outstanding Hookinup!  I like that impulse bait myself.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #2808 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:00 AM »
well done guys MM,KP, Coach And HT , and coach quizzed me on spot and lure , that was fun  ;) super count guys , and nice fish and
 IceAddict your a solid guy your top notch in my book and a great ice fishermen , always an honor to eye fish along side you and your buds
[/quot

Right back at ya partner! You are surely one of the best fisherman I know, especially on ice and on Oneida lake! I'm hoping I will be fishing solo a couple times this season so I can fish with you, just don't like dragging a posse around and crowding anyone.....
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #2809 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:01 AM »
Holy cow batman...you smoked em...even on day when the perch fishing was tough. I want on of those mayfly perch imitations....where did you get that?
check out brewerton bait, and tackle. they have mackie plastics.
   that's what i'm useing tomorrow.   Sully...

Offline wert

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2810 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:08 AM »
he probly fished in aspawn area. they are spawing now.    burbot!

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #2811 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:16 AM »
Fantastic job out there yesterday guys! Absolutely LOVE the lawyer pics! Beautiful Burbies! The mighty lota, lota demands respect! It's a ling thing ! No doubt about the eel pout! Hmmmm, do I have any more? Ah yes! My favorite, MUD BLOWER!
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2812 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:17 AM »
Nice job on the Burbs....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #2813 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:34 AM »
Reminds me of filets pic of a the catfish.  Great job hookinup.  Burbot everywhere.

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #2814 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:41 AM »
Holy crap ..nice job on those burbots! I have never seen one in real life hoping to hit on on monday though.Gonna fish the north side west of apps..guess i will try the 15-30 fow area there...by bernhards bay if it is producing anything is another story but great job on those fish.
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #2815 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:51 AM »
I caught a Burgot yesterday too, what a great fish on an ice rod!  I put it back after a few pictures, but a guy in the parking lot said they make a great fish stew.  Definitly going to keep one or two next time. 

Offline Iceman315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2816 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:56 AM »
I caught a burbot yesterday weighed 6lbs I think I might try it. heard they were good :)

Offline Hookinup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release ... into the grease!
« Reply #2817 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Minettoman... I ordered a pack from Mills Fleet Farm (great place, by the way) when placing an order for something else. Only bought one pack as a trial. Gotta buy more. They come in all kinds of colors.

Maki's work good too...you can get those locally at Bartel Road Bait.

Yep...I think I am on an eelpout bed, because they are constantly showing up there. They are somewhat of a pain to me, because I can tell when they are under me. I can recognize the distinct line they paint on my graph, and the way they look when they come up for the lure. When they are around, the other fish shy away. Once I catch the one that is there, the other fish start to feed again. They are so tough that they can live in a bucket in the shanty for a while, so I usually keep them til I leave and let them go...or go drill a hole a couple hundred yards away and release them. The weather was too nasty yesterday to do that. Just decided to clean them and give them a try this time.

DD - since you are the burbot chef...I have a question for you. The tail sections are thin, and there is pink fat on them, which I assume will affect the taste. If I try to skim-cut it off (like Lake Ontario Browns), the fillet will be too thin to make much of. Do the tail sections taste fishy?? The shoulders are a different story. I like the looks of them, and can tell that they will be great.
Always remember .... they have a brain the size of a pea! How hard can it be? ???

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2818 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:06 AM »
Got my old man out yesterday for the first time this year. We iced 14 eyes. Only 4 keepers. 2 for me 1 for him. I drilled a hole between us so we could both use my vex. His first time ever using a flasher. I thinks he's hooked now. He's already talking about going to buy a bunch if gear now. Well here's my two...18 and 19 1/2

It'll eat.

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2819 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:16 AM »
Got my old man out yesterday for the first time this year. We iced 14 eyes. Only 3 keepers. 2 for me 1 for him. I drilled a hole between us so we could both use my vex. His first time ever using a flasher. I thinks he's hooked now. He's already talking about going to buy a bunch if gear now. Well here's my two...18 and 19 1/2

It'll eat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.