New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827217 times)

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #2700 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:19 PM »
The guy at Bartell Rd Bait said a young girl went in near Chapman Park, but she got out right away and she is fine. 
Just scuttlebutt at the bait shop, but there are a few weak spots around for sure.

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2701 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:48 PM »
we came off lewis pt at dark, the ambulance pulled in while we were packin up. seemed pretty solid out there 8" all over. there were a couple sketchy spots near pressure ridge. from 100 yds away, seemed big enough to swallow a wheeler. had a pretty good bite at 445

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2702 on: Jan 17, 2014, 10:30 PM »
Like me and Freddie did on monday ??? ??? yep ended up driving all the way around the whole lake by the time I got home ???

That stinks HT....I'm sneaking out in the morning. Dropping my car off in bernhards bay first thing then fishing until my car is done. Getting my old man out for the first time this year. Hopefully we find a few.
It'll eat.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2703 on: Jan 18, 2014, 04:38 AM »
choo choo, thanks for the info! Itching to get out there... ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2704 on: Jan 18, 2014, 05:57 AM »
      Nice eelpout choo choo. You make me glad I chose to buy a 4 wheeler instead of a sled. Right up to the last minute I wasn't sure which one to buy. Your eventful day sounds like one of my trips on the ice. It seems no matter how thoughtfully I pack the night before , I always forget something. Anyway, the scratchers thing didn't make sense to me until KP explained the use for them. Short, but still a good day on the ice. Yup! I have sliced my finger on those blades as well. Coongrats on the fish. Eddy would have cooked that sucker up in a heart beat.
      I was supposed to meet a friend on the ice yesterday and apparently wrote down the wrong cell phone #.  You know, Oneida is a very very big Lake when you drive around looking for someone. (IT DON'T WOIK). Anyway settled next to some new friends and gave them my 3 jumbo perch at the end of the day. I broke in the new 4 wheeler and had a great day despite missing my hook up . Eddy and I are going to reconnoiter the killing fields on Sunday and TEAM First Place will be absent for the day. We are getting ready to defend our title as MASTERS OF THE POND to be held  a short 2 weeks from today.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
thanks jboggey. Sleds can be a problem on glare ice conditions, but they are a lot better in deep snow and crossing cracks.Days like yesterday I wish I had a wheeler...would have been better, and no worries.They both have pros and cons. Good luck, and have fun with your new wheeler, they are sure handy to have.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

perch@pans

« Reply #2705 on: Jan 18, 2014, 06:14 AM »
Snowing now west end has about 2" fluff from last two hours.

Offline chubrock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2706 on: Jan 18, 2014, 06:35 AM »
Tough week. Thursday iced 10 nice perch. Caught so many dinks I lost count. Landed 3 big burbot. Friday same results, ice 10 jumbos. Marked many fish no takers. Dropped everything at them. No eyes to at all. One tough bite. But I will be out next week because thats what I do.
Bait it. Jig it. Hook it.

Offline Baitrix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2707 on: Jan 18, 2014, 07:23 AM »
Putting down the snow right now ,,,, tough bite in north bay ..... Lots of lookers

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #2708 on: Jan 18, 2014, 07:37 AM »
That's the attitude ICE-ADDICT!!!  JUST DO IT!!!  For as much as I can get out, the barometer and toilet paper serve the same purpose! :woot:  Although it is nice to learn how what can affect the fishing! :thumbsup: :icefish:

It's. Just nuts how people want every piece of info you can give them.  Man, take SOME pride in what you spent 10,000 dollars worth of gear on, with your shiny new suit looking like a seasoned veteran and all. But they expect to get more than just tips here from guys like us who have been at it hard core for 10 years and much more. Man, just fish! You'll feel better about it when you have success after making your own way. Tips and advice are one thing, specifics from men you don't even know is asking a bit much. Sorry but that's my opinion.
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline jj7leaf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2709 on: Jan 18, 2014, 08:11 AM »
It's. Just nuts how people want every piece of info you can give them.  Man, take SOME pride in what you spent 10,000 dollars worth of gear on, with your shiny new suit looking like a seasoned veteran and all. But they expect to get more than just tips here from guys like us who have been at it hard core for 10 years and much more. Man, just fish! You'll feel better about it when you have success after making your own way. Tips and advice are one thing, specifics from men you don't even know is asking a bit much. Sorry but that's my opinion.

Or you could do like the guys next to us yesterday. Invite your friends and leave extra early so you beat us out there and then you can bust open the holes we used yesterday and act like an Oneida Lake hero.
Sharing info on the ice is a great way to meet some new faces and friends so come on over and ask how things are going, but doesn't your self respect go down a little when you race out there early and just sit on someone else's holes....

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2710 on: Jan 18, 2014, 08:12 AM »
Does that mean that you won't share the ingredients your recipes anymore ?  ;D ;D

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2711 on: Jan 18, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Any truth to the rumor someone fell thru on lewis
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline jimd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2712 on: Jan 18, 2014, 08:59 AM »
Don't know about anybody else but I stepped thru the ice on the north east corner of the point. Luckily it was only a few inches of water

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2713 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:27 AM »
Does that mean that you won't share the ingredients your recipes anymore ?  ;D ;D

I will always share my special recipes! ;)

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2714 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:30 AM »
Or you could do like the guys next to us yesterday. Invite your friends and leave extra early so you beat us out there and then you can bust open the holes we used yesterday and act like an Oneida Lake hero.
Sharing info on the ice is a great way to meet some new faces and friends so come on over and ask how things are going, but doesn't your self respect go down a little when you race out there early and just sit on someone else's holes....

No doubt! I'd say anyway, but maybe that's just me.

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2715 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:35 AM »

well fished off the north shore last 2 days ice was 9-10" everywhere I went saw no bad spots , but that doesn't mean you don't have to pay attention , just fished perch me and my partner ended up with 70 perch  , 7 eyes ,a burbout , and a slime dart , weather was great , had fun , and my partner caught the majority of the perch , he sneaked in a few tipups  ;)

Offline Polar Bear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2716 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:41 AM »

jj7leaf....... Looks like it happens everywhere ..... It has happened to me the last few weekends on another lake. .... Frustrating but as much as I would raise hell with them , I just find another good spot , I know how you feel .... Be safe and good luck fishing

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2717 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:54 AM »

sorry but that happens , fishing is always slow  ;)  and they really don't have any pride at all , they just want to catch fish , know what they say about nice guys  :o

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #2718 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:03 AM »
sorry but that happens , fishing is always slow  ;)  and they really don't have any pride at all , they just want to catch fish , know what they say about nice guys  :o

Dammit Filet now you have gone and given away my secret.

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2719 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:08 AM »
Im sorry if I offended you iceaddict by asking the question, I am not looking for every piece of info.  I asked the question because I have seen it brought up a few times and was curious to what it may have to do with the bite. Im always trying to learn new things as Im only 2 years into ice fishing and I dont get out very often as I work two jobs. To tell you the truth I dont really care how many fish I catch because I go to spend quality time with my wife and my 8 year old nephew in the outdoors, catching fish is just the bonus to me.

Offline 315cnote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2720 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:27 AM »

haha thats great

Offline burningdownthehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2721 on: Jan 18, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Im sorry if I offended you iceaddict by asking the question, I am not looking for every piece of info.  I asked the question because I have seen it brought up a few times and was curious to what it may have to do with the bite. Im always trying to learn new things as Im only 2 years into ice fishing and I dont get out very often as I work two jobs. To tell you the truth I dont really care how many fish I catch because I go to spend quality time with my wife and my 8 year old nephew in the outdoors, catching fish is just the bonus to me.

Let me preface my response by saying that I might be out of line, but these are just my thoughts...

I see forums such as iceshanty.com and myfishfinder.com as a place to share our love of the outdoors, as well as conditions, tips and strategies with one another. I don't see them as a place to brag and say, "ha, ha...look at all these fish I caught in a place you'll never find!" While I respect the time and energy so many of you have put in to perfect the craft of ice fishing, remember that you too at one point leaned on an "expert" for any bit of information you could get your hands on. If we don't educate our "up and comers" and get them excited about the outdoors, interest will fade and our sport will suffer.

I am by no means an expert fisherman. I have three small kids, a demanding full-time job and many other obligations. However, I am willing to share whatever I know to help the next generation gain an understanding and appreciation for the outdoors.

To the "newbies" on this site: just as you wouldn't hang a treestand right near your buddy's, talk in the middle of somebody's backswing in golf, or move to the other side of the boat because your buddy is catching fish over there, we ask that you respect people's space. Respecting the veterans will lead to a respect for you.

Anybody who sees a Fish Trap Pro out there with some crazy guy inside with a Pittsburgh Steelers afro headband is more than welcome to come up and talk with me...just don't drop your line down my hole!  ;D

Just my two cents...

:afro: out

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #2722 on: Jan 18, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Let me preface my response by saying that I might be out of line, but these are just my thoughts...

I see forums such as iceshanty.com and myfishfinder.com as a place to share our love of the outdoors, as well as conditions, tips and strategies with one another. I don't see them as a place to brag and say, "ha, ha...look at all these fish I caught in a place you'll never find!" While I respect the time and energy so many of you have put in to perfect the craft of ice fishing, remember that you too at one point leaned on an "expert" for any bit of information you could get your hands on. If we don't educate our "up and comers" and get them excited about the outdoors, interest will fade and our sport will suffer.

I am by no means an expert fisherman. I have three small kids, a demanding full-time job and many other obligations. However, I am willing to share whatever I know to help the next generation gain an understanding and appreciation for the outdoors.

To the "newbies" on this site: just as you wouldn't hang a treestand right near your buddy's, talk in the middle of somebody's backswing in golf, or move to the other side of the boat because your buddy is catching fish over there, we ask that you respect people's space. Respecting the veterans will lead to a respect for you.

Anybody who sees a Fish Trap Pro out there with some crazy guy inside with a Pittsburgh Steelers afro headband is more than welcome to come up and talk with me...just don't drop your line down my hole!  ;D

Just my two cents...

Well said! Except the part about the Steelers...   :P

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2723 on: Jan 18, 2014, 11:38 AM »
 If the guy's asking the questions would just read back a few pages all their questions would be answered. ???
Jim K.

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
« Reply #2724 on: Jan 18, 2014, 12:06 PM »

I am by no means an expert fisherman. I have three small kids, a demanding full-time job and many other obligations. However, I am willing to share whate @)ver I know to help the next generation gain an understanding and appreciation for the outdoors.

Just my two cents...

Well said...couldn't agree more.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2725 on: Jan 18, 2014, 12:15 PM »
If the guy's asking the questions would just read back a few pages all their questions would be answered. ???

well put night fisher , I and a few others do share and help out , in pm,s just handing stuff out to people that just want an easy way out of doing little to no home work, many of us old timers have learned  Oneida by doing it the hard way at least 80% of what I know and still learning , as a few others have done as well  , and I to raised a family alone and worked ,I and old Friends learned together and you guys know who you are , we worked as a team to gain knowledge  , and I always try to check out a new spot everytime I go if I have time left in a day JMT

Offline owascolake10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2726 on: Jan 18, 2014, 12:16 PM »
does anybody know if the guy who went thru at lewis point is safe or not ?

Offline owascolake10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2727 on: Jan 18, 2014, 12:23 PM »
well put night fisher , I and a few others do share and help out , in pm,s just handing stuff out to people that just want an easy way out of doing little to no home work, many of us old timers have learned  Oneida by doing it the hard way at least 80% of what I know and still learning , as a few others have done as well  , and I to raised a family alone and worked ,I and old Friends learned together and you guys know who you are , we worked as a team to gain knowledge  , and I always try to check out a new spot everytime I go if I have time left in a day JMT
i have been ice fishing for 4 yrs now and mostly oneida lake. everything i have learned has been by my exploration and learning and reading alot on ice shanty and other web sites.  i think the closest i have ever come to another person ice fishing is 50 yards  because i do not want to  crowd anybody.
so i agree with you guys also, read ice shanty and you will learn alot..  it's like golf there is no easy way you have to learn the game.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #2728 on: Jan 18, 2014, 01:05 PM »
wow...can you say white out :o.....finally made it out to the shoals today .....was a b**ch gettin there with the heavy snow....thank goodness for GPS.....was fun for awhile...iced 6 keepers and 4 shorties.....had fish under me until about 10 then it dried up....got 3 perch also....ice was great...9-10" solid.....not a soul within 400 yds of me....was nice for a change....kept 3 16"ers for dinner tonight.....first time fishin with the new sled...was great.....first time targeting eyes this year...they weren't overly aggressive, had to work em a little

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2729 on: Jan 18, 2014, 01:43 PM »
[/quot

WAsnt directing anything at you sir, just making an observation, thatS all.

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.