Author Topic: Piprell  (Read 868 times)

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
Piprell
« on: Feb 13, 2024, 01:11 PM »
Just wondering how the lake is this time of year, can you drive on with a 4x4 truck?  May head out next week for some trout, any idea about depths for the Tigers and Splake.  I haven’t fished the lake in years and that was soft water.  Any problems with springs or thin ice?

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Piprell
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2024, 01:39 PM »
 There are springs, and the folks at rainbow never seem too keen on having trucks on the ice.  I've seen trucks in the home bay a few times, but never out very far.

Right now the tigers should be shallower and the splake deeper.  If you're fishing deep just be ready for suckers galore.  They will smack your jig just like a nice brown trout would.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2024, 08:55 PM »
Thanks for the info, I will definitely be walking on.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2024, 08:26 AM »
I hit up Piprell yesterday and fished from 9:00 am to 2:30 pm.  Ice is 32 inches deep in 18 FOW.  You can drive on easily and not much snow in most sections of the lake except lots by the shore.  Tigers and Splake were deep in 30 FOW and no fish seen or hooked all the way to 9 FOW.  Fish were not too active and only nibbling at the bait, tried worms and minnows.  Great day with lots of sun and not much wind.  I may try Whiteswan in two weeks, love heading up to the North for fishing, so quiet and relaxing even when the fish are not hitting the bait.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2024, 10:33 AM »
 That's too bad.  Pip can be a tough nut to crack but for some reason I keep coming back.  I'm surprised you didn't get into some suckers at least.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2024, 08:14 AM »
Only saw one sucker on camera, the trout are sure curious, will swim
around the hook, nibble it and remain in the area for a long time.  First time for me out there for hard water, have fished it before in summer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.