Author Topic: Blackstrap 2023-2024  (Read 19358 times)

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Blackstrap 2023-2024
« Reply #90 on: Jan 29, 2024, 07:50 AM »
The interesting perch winter on Blackstrap continues. Mrs. Speck and I decided to set up a tent and fish in comfort late last week along Evans Road where some of the group had been doing well. While we saw plenty of perch, the ones beneath us were for the most part unenthused about our offerings. Meanwhile, the guys around us were doing well. Two days later, I started at the same area and had an 11.25" hammer the lure on first drop, then nothing. After running through all my "guaranteed" presentations, I decided to go exploring. The first three spots were old honey holes that produced not a mark. I then drove to the middle of the lake and punched a hole in the middle of nowhere. Five perch hit one after the other including three keepers. That bite dried up, so I drilled another random hole a few hundred yards away.

Bingo! The bite was so strong that I upgraded my keeper limit to a strict 10" minimum. The flasher was awash in yellow, green and red. It was one of those times to play with the tackle box and see which lures they didn't want. There weren't many.

I reported my find to Churchill River who tried that new hotspot and hour or so later. He caught one 5 inch perch. He tried it again a day later and caught nothing. However, another random hole a few hundred yards away had him catching like crazy. In years past we have been able to revisit old spots for weeks on end and have good success. So far this year seems to be different. The moral of the story is that choosing mobility over comfort seems to be a necessary strategy this winter.

It also appears that the nematode cysts in the perch are more prevalent this year. Are others finding the same thing?

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #91 on: Jan 29, 2024, 08:46 PM »
Yes the nematode cysts are noticeable for sure this year S.S.  But you told me to use less pepper in my flour mix, and they taste as good as ever.  Most people know that they are harmless once you cook your fish. 

As for you honey hole you sent me to.  You mentioned you tried 2 or 3 spots before that and didn't mark a fish.  Are you sure you didn't get your holes mixed up, and you sent me to a dry hole :)

The hot spot I found yesterday was really hot today.  Nice that we can keep some 10 inchers for a feed, and throw the rest back.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Jan 29, 2024, 11:07 PM »
Damn!

You're on to me.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #93 on: Feb 02, 2024, 08:08 AM »
Just a short report for anyone thinking of going out this weekend.  The bite is really good, seems the perch are getting more active.  Although there are some slow times during the early afternoon.  I find when I am hole hoping you can catch 2 or 3 in each hole and then move on, and then bang, you will hit a honey hole.  There are some spots were there are no perch compared to other years.  If you move around the lake you should be able to find them.

There was lot's of water of top of the ice yesterday.  Hard to believe it's Feb. 1st and not the end of March with this crazy weather.  I used the South boat launch and it was really good, not much water building up at the bottom.

Offline danhanline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Feb 03, 2024, 06:39 PM »
Anyone able to say what ice thickness is? With all this warm weather are people still driving on and around the ice?

Offline danhanline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Feb 08, 2024, 01:39 PM »
I’m fishing Blackstrap for the first time this weekend. Wondering if there are lake access points other than the marked boat launches. Looks like there could be an access point in Thode? South of the village? Is that private?

Thanks for any info!

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Feb 09, 2024, 12:31 PM »
Is there any truth that a truck is nose down at Evans Road?

Offline justdontgetskunked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Feb 09, 2024, 01:44 PM »
There is also a truck through the ice near Etters Beach on Last Mountain. Just saw photos.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Feb 09, 2024, 05:53 PM »
Yeah I saw pics of the vehicle through on the strap. It’s legit

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Feb 09, 2024, 05:56 PM »

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Feb 09, 2024, 05:59 PM »

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Feb 09, 2024, 06:01 PM »
Couple photos from facebook

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #102 on: Feb 09, 2024, 06:19 PM »
I was out there today when I heard the crash and went over to help out.  It looks like someone moved there shack and didn't mark the spot.  I have noticed some branches around holes from other spots that people moved their shack.  The warm spell with all the running water and then the snow on top doesn't help to spot these areas.  No one was hurt and the truck is back on top of the ice.  Same for the one at Etters Beach.

I drilled 4 test holes to let the tow truck company know how thick the ice was before they came out.  3 ft from the truck it was 30 inches all the way around. 

Just think a couple of branches or sticks could of probably prevented this.

Not sure about the Etters Beach episode...might of looked like a pressure ridge, I didn't get a good picture.

Offline Gkomo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Feb 09, 2024, 07:47 PM »
Just imagine if it had been a person walking or even a kid could have been a bad out come, a couple of yrs ago on far south someone had a pop up and had a 4 foot square hole cut it and wasn't marked. I don't imagine they will catch an orca in the strap that they need that size of holes

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #104 on: Feb 10, 2024, 04:45 PM »
Yikes! That's some scary stuff. :o
Good to hear that everyone is safe at both lakes, that's what matters. :)

I have seen folks on YouTube who sight fish for trout, cut large holes in the shallows, but, they always covered them with branches at the end of the day.
A 4 foot open hole, not marked, would be very dangerous for sure, for both people and pets. :blink:

WW

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Feb 21, 2024, 08:47 AM »
Just a short report to get Blackstrap back up top :)

Last Saturday the bite was on and everyone should of had a good day.  Monday and Tuesday was a lot slower, and they were just sucking on the bait (eye ball).  Still caught a lot but had to move around.  If you are having trouble catching them you will have to move to different spots on the lake.  Yesterday there wasn't a time there wasn't perch on the camera the whole day long, getting them to bite was another story.  The bite should pick up later this week, with more March weather moving in.

We still have about 28 to 30 inches of ice and not over 3ft like we should have.  Not sure what it is going to be like come the 3rd week in March.

Both launches are good though and it is easy to drive around.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Feb 21, 2024, 09:45 PM »
The current trend of good morning perch bite, mid day lull, and a good mid afternoon chomp was the case for me today. Plenty of fish in the morning, but the size was small overall. At 12:00 it was like the noon siesta alert went out and the fish disappeared. As others have reported, the afternoon seems to be when the bigger perch become more active. I was out from 10:00 until 5:00, and caught most of my keepers in the last hour. Again, movement matters as only two of the 7 or 8 spots I tried produced most of the action.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Feb 28, 2024, 10:29 PM »
Anyone driving on the lake since the big storm?
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Feb 29, 2024, 08:43 AM »
I was out a couple days ago and drving conditions were good. Both launches were fine and the lake itself was not badly drifted. There just isn't enough snow to accumulate to cause problems - yet. We will see after this weekend. The bite was very good on Tuesday, but I only lasted an hour at -20.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #109 on: Mar 09, 2024, 08:29 AM »
For anyone heading out this weekend, the North boat launch is plowed and sanded, so not problem at all getting on the lake.  There is 4 to 5 inches of soft snow on the lake, very few bigger drifts.  It is easy to get around.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #110 on: Mar 14, 2024, 07:41 PM »
I was out yesterday and today.  The South boat launch is still very good, no water at the bottom the last 2 days.  The North one had some 2 days ago, but it was frozen today.  Anyone heading out this weekend should use the South one.

Caught lot's of perch the last 2 days even though the bite is soft.  Couple times a day they turn on and the bite is a little better for 1/2 hour or so.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Mar 15, 2024, 05:03 PM »
I was out yesterday and today.  The South boat launch is still very good, no water at the bottom the last 2 days.  The North one had some 2 days ago, but it was frozen today.  Anyone heading out this weekend should use the South one.

Caught lot's of perch the last 2 days even though the bite is soft.  Couple times a day they turn on and the bite is a little better for 1/2 hour or so.

What a strange year for fishing on the strap. I hope its not like this next year.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Mar 15, 2024, 06:16 PM »
And yet, H and B, it hasn't been terrible. These two brothers came from Calgary and Australia to sample the perch bite a couple days back. They were not disappointed!

Offline ZXJpYW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Mar 16, 2024, 02:24 PM »
Hey all, thanks as always for posting these reports! They're always interesting.

I was hoping I could ask for a favour. I have some family coming out next weekend and it's their first time fishing (hardwater or otherwise). I have not been able to get out to 'strap much this year, and when I have I have had rotten luck.

I want to hook everyone into any fish, perch or otherwise, if at all possible. I'll be running a line of tip-ups and smelts as well. If anyone would be so kind as DM me a higher-percentage area to check out this year, I'd appreciate it greatly.

I'll be out tomorrow morning "prefishing" if anyone wanted to collect the beers that I'd owe you for the info!

Tight lines, all.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Mar 20, 2024, 01:44 PM »
This year I have been experimenting with big noisy rattle baits, especially when looking for walleye. There have been some days when that has definitely been the ticket.
Today was not one of those days. As I was wrapping up a perch outing using the smallest hook I had; a tungsten jig, there was a barely perceptible movement of the rod tip. The weight I felt on the hook set was either a world record perch, or something else. The big male walleye was both a surprise and a thrill.

Offline GooseHunter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #115 on: Apr 05, 2024, 10:56 PM »
Well, that was a pretty good winter!  Maybe the blackspot in the perch will decline by next year, though. See you all back on the ice then , eh?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.