Author Topic: Spud bars  (Read 3236 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spud bars
« on: Oct 16, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Need to buy a spud bar and am thinking about buying the Redneck economy one for $25 considering it will be used for a week or two each year.  Anyone have issues with this model?
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Spud bars
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2018, 11:01 AM »
I make my own.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2018, 11:41 AM »
I have the 2-piece Eskimo one and it does it's job.  I've never broken it down, so I'd probably just get the 1-piece if I did it again.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2018, 11:52 AM »
Do you sharpen your spuds at all?
I have when they show signs of dullness, and they cut much better.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2018, 12:06 PM »

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2018, 12:07 PM »
I got this one last year and it works fine

X2
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2018, 12:52 PM »
Actually, Cabelas brand bar looks better and cheaper.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-augers/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104395680/cabelas-ice-chisel/2581713.uts?slotId=13

Looks very similar to my Frabill ...paid the same price several years ago w/o a wrist strap. I love mine.. one piece..no moving parts to lose/forget...plus its stepped. Good luck with your purchase.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2018, 01:08 PM »
I had the CH7 (Redneck Economy), but lost it last year. It is very light, but I feel like the weight was a negative (had to hit ice multiple times to check thickness). I’m replacing with the CH11 for the additional weight to help punch through the ice.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2018, 01:21 PM »
I traded in my green monster a few years ago for the redneck economy chisel no complaints ,

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2018, 02:50 PM »
I also own the eskimo one piece chisel, easy to use without being fatiguing at 4.5 lbs. Added a paracord lanyard and a bicycle grip to the handle. The grip increases control, insulates the cold metal, and cushions my hand during use.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2018, 02:57 PM »

https://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-augers/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104395680/cabelas-ice-chisel/2581713.uts?slotId=13

That one looks identical to the Gander Mountain branded one I got during their going out of business sale a couple years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same company making them, I've been using mine quite a bit early/late ice, no problems, seems to be pretty good quality.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2018, 03:02 PM »

Thanks mbart good idea with the bike grip

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2018, 03:15 PM »
I also own the eskimo one piece chisel, easy to use without being fatiguing at 4.5 lbs. Added a paracord lanyard and a bicycle grip to the handle. The grip increases control, insulates the cold metal, and cushions my hand during use.

Like the grip idea...thanks!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2018, 04:13 PM »
What ever you choose (and please do choose one!) get used to the performance of it. Weight and sharpness both have a bearing. Mine, one whack = 1" of ice. Three whacks, tread carefully but you're OK. Less than that I'll be the patient guy and back off. Check frequently early and late ice, conditions can be spotty and change quickly.

I'm OK wet and better than most cold but I really dislike combining the two.  ;)2

Oh yeah, I've got some kind of generic orange bar with a welded ring on my end. I also have a homemade one with a piece of auto leaf spring for the blade. Gets really sharp and holds an edge like little else.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2018, 04:33 PM »
What ever you choose (and please do choose one!) get used to the performance of it. Weight and sharpness both have a bearing. Mine, one whack = 1" of ice. Three whacks, tread carefully but you're OK. Less than that I'll be the patient guy and back off. Check frequently early and late ice, conditions can be spotty and change quickly.

I'm OK wet and better than most cold but I really dislike combining the two.  ;)2

Oh yeah, I've got some kind of generic orange bar with a welded ring on my end. I also have a homemade one with a piece of auto leaf spring for the blade. Gets really sharp and holds an edge like little else.

Yup...my theory as well esox. Haven't taken a plunge in over 50 years...knock on wood. I will add, I'm even more cautious on unfamiliar, less visited lakes.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2018, 04:45 PM »

X2 couldn’t agree more ,

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Like the grip idea...thanks!

X2 Thanks for the great idea.
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 17, 2018, 11:23 AM »
I had some 1" tube and old pointed chisels that I ground the back down with a small taper and smashed it up in the tube. Welded around it,  wood handle on the top with 2 screws connecting it and a wrist strap to the tube. Just made a second one thats a hair shorted and lighter. Out of pocket cost zero, all old scraps around the shop. I have no clue on weights of them, but Pa doesnt have the super thick ice, long season so a spud goes with me every time out.

Walking strike I get just over an inch, hard jab I can penetrate 2+" of ice.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Oct 17, 2018, 11:54 AM »
I have built a couple. One uses an old hatchet head ground down to a rectangular shape. Bolted into a 1.125" solid aluminum shaft. It weighs  8 lbs, cuts like butter.

My second is 1.25" electrical conduit with a ground lawnmower blade welded into the business end. It weighs maybe 5 lbs, plenty of weight for thin ice, and the light weight allows you to really jab it hard.
 Heavy and slow vs. light and fast! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2018, 07:58 PM »

I got that one last year, but haven't used it yet. Looks good for testing ice thickness (which is what I got it for) but if you're tall it would be on the short side for chiseling holes.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2018, 09:01 AM »
I forgot to mention my Spuds are 6' long. Gotta poke the ice in front not underyou-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 18, 2018, 11:53 AM »
Hard to beat $20 for the cabelas brand one, but with me being 6-2 and this bar is like 4ft, going to be short.  Only thing I will use it for is early ice.  contemplating just using my auger to check thickness.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2018, 12:00 PM »
Im also 6'2 and to reiterate slayers point....its good to have something you can reach out a bit with....doesnt do much good to find the ice 2 inches from your boot is an inch and a half thick.....I use a homemade one, pretty heavy, but it does the job and so far, knock knock, keeps me on top.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 18, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Hard to beat $20 for the cabelas brand one, but with me being 6-2 and this bar is like 4ft, going to be short.  Only thing I will use it for is early ice.  contemplating just using my auger to check thickness.

Early ice you want to be checking the thickness every couple steps, it can vary greatly. I would say you are better off with a spud bar being able to hit the ice every step vs having to stop and constantly drill holes, won't get very far fast doing that.  Also like mentioned above, its worth having a long spud bar to reach in front of you so you can walk and check.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 18, 2018, 01:17 PM »
Im also 6'2 and to reiterate slayers point....its good to have something you can reach out a bit with....doesnt do much good to find the ice 2 inches from your boot is an inch and a half thick.....I use a homemade one, pretty heavy, but it does the job and so far, knock knock, keeps me on top.

Good points to all  like the above.. last year started spud ding my way out about 100 ft from shore I struck the ice about 4 foot from me and head all this cracking going on so I turned around  luckilly I did not take a swim.. another thing to get would be a float suit.. but just conetrate on the most important  things first.. 

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 18, 2018, 02:08 PM »
A spud bar is a piece of safety equipment, same as cleats, ice picks, or a throw bag / rope. The sound it transmits when impacting the ice is a indication of ice density / thickness. I'm not confident, checking ice conditions without a spud.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 18, 2018, 02:13 PM »

X2, did almost the same thing as far as a lanyard and grip go.
westernmas on the finder

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 18, 2018, 02:15 PM »
so next question is if I am able to buy a bar long enough or if i need to find someone to make me one?

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Oct 18, 2018, 02:54 PM »
Frabill and eskimo make longer ones. I think mine is a frabill.. got it from fleet farm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.