Author Topic: Tip up line  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Bubbagump6666

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip up line
« on: Sep 17, 2018, 08:11 PM »
What's the best ice tip up line and size thanks

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
Re: Tip up line
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2018, 12:36 PM »
I use 30 lb braided with a 6-10ft - 12 lb leader of Ice Line.....but that's just me.
Chepachet....The Alaska of Rhode Island

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2018, 02:42 PM »
Depends on what fish you're targeting and personal preference. I'm usually targeting pike so I use 30 pound tipup line.  It's thicker than regular braid to keep from cutting up your hands

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2018, 02:56 PM »
36 to 40 lb tip up line braided with the wax keeps lones from freezing as often. I dont like the nylon lines. I buy 1000 yard spools at a time....
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2018, 03:21 PM »
Tip up line should be thicker so you can manage it by hand and laying it on the ice. Heavy braid that is thick enough is expensive, standard 20-30lb tip up line with a long leader sized to your target will be fine for basically anything and easier to handle on the ice.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2018, 03:41 PM »
I always use braided dacron and never have an issue. Its thicker than regular braid and much easier to handle while pulling a fish in. As mentioned, use a leader to match the fish you are targeting with a swivel connecting the two to reduce twists. Not sure o the size but I want to say I use 40lb.
Just add water.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2018, 05:12 PM »
I use 30 lb braided with a 6-10ft - 12 lb leader of Ice Line.....but that's just me.

Not just you...me too!  :thumbsup: Last year I dropped the treble hook and switched to a 3/0 wide gap finesse hook ( Gamagatsu) Friend of mine told me he got faster and better hook sets...claims they hook right in the corner of the mouth reducing the chance of break/bite offs. I tried them once but never got a flag to confirm his claim. Gonna try a little more this season and see what happens.  ???
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.