Author Topic: Using cordless drill  (Read 3245 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Using cordless drill
« Reply #30 on: Jul 23, 2018, 09:01 AM »
I don't know what "version" it is, but they are usually available at a local hardware store or Menards/Home Depot. I just drill a hole in the end of my scoop handle and "thread" the split ring on the key retractor through it...works great. I'm also trying to come up with an idea on how to make/attach a bi-pod to my drill/auger to avoid laying it on the ice. So far I'm coming up blank...but I'm still thinking. ;D
thanks for the info. i'll check them out.
talking of scoops, i make one inch hash marks on both side of my scoops to measure ice and fish. i make a gouge mark at each inch and then fill it in with marker so the gouge protects the marker ink. on the back side i start measuring where the hook is so i can hook it onto ice for a better reading.

i use menards bags over my drill so the drill isn't touching the ice. most times i go make a bunch of holes and then make a partial hole to hold the auger up or lay it back on the sled/flip over while it's collapsed. i use the partial hole method to make a shanty ice anchor and make the hole lean into the wind so it's stronger. if it's not sunny you can make a complete hole to lean the bit in. the sun will melt the ice around the bit on sunny days.

the bags, i use the handle loops and wrap a few turns and then slip in the nose of the drill, then bring the doubled up bags over the body and then make a few more twists of the last handle of the bag and slip it over the aux handle and then use the bungee cord from the icemaster adapter over the heel of the drill handle. good to go. no real added weight and water resistant. if i lay my drill on ice, the aux handle and battery sit on it and i have no problems with temps on my ridgid batteries.

so toss a few menards bags into your bag while your checking out next time and save them up. their bags are a nice size and tough. you can always turn them inside out if you don't want to sport their name.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #31 on: Jul 23, 2018, 11:28 AM »

No just got to get a good hold of the drill don't ware gloves with it .. or wet hands any thing that might help it slip out easier.. other then that 600 inch pounds is the bare min suggest by clam for their 6 inch auger..of course 750 or even 1200 inch pounds is better yet.. I just bought the ridgid r86116 b2 set  on sale for $99 drill,two batteries 1.5 ah and a charger all have life time warranty..  sister got me same drill for chistmas it pushed my 7 inch lazer bladed mora auger just fine... to bad you missed the sale over the forth??  hopefully they advertise same drill on black friday??
I got a pretty good deal as well...Bosch 18V 1/2in hammer/drill/driver, 600in.lb., 2 @ 4.0 aH batteries, charger, carrying case and lifetime warranty for just over $200. deals are out there, we just have to look. ;) I'll be using it on a 4" auger so don't see any problems with it. I'll use my 6" for hand drilling if necessary.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #32 on: Jul 23, 2018, 11:54 AM »
I got a pretty good deal as well...Bosch 18V 1/2in hammer/drill/driver, 600in.lb., 2 @ 4.0 aH batteries, charger, carrying case and lifetime warranty for just over $200. deals are out there, we just have to look. ;) I'll be using it on a 4" auger so don't see any problems with it. I'll use my 6" for hand drilling if necessary.
you may want to double check that warranty. i get this,

https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/c6/c60ac124-44ed-4655-97be-ad5d10b690d7.pdf

a one year for it.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Jul 23, 2018, 05:25 PM »
you may want to double check that warranty. i get this,

https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/c6/c60ac124-44ed-4655-97be-ad5d10b690d7.pdf

a one year for it.
I stand corrected 3300...thank you. Guess I should read the fine print better...or get new glasses. ;D Hopefully it will out last me as I am real close to that retirement age.  ;)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #34 on: Jul 24, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Yes, 8” Mora with the bigger 1200 inch pound Fuel. Use 750 for the 6” Mora

No, 10” Mora with the bigger 1200 inch pound Fuel...go big or go home.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Jul 25, 2018, 06:15 AM »
So...one more question. Should I use the highest setting (20) on my drill or something less? Again, I will be using a 4" laser on a 600 in. lb. drill. Thanks.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jul 25, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Yes highest setting and on drill. Not screw.

Interesting. I am not sure where but when I bought my clam plate, the guidance (or mis-guidance I guess) said to use the lowest setting.

I better get the research done, only 5 months to the hard water in upstate NY.....

I will report back what i find, if i find anything

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Jul 25, 2018, 08:42 AM »
So...one more question. Should I use the highest setting (20) on my drill or something less? Again, I will be using a 4" laser on a 600 in. lb. drill. Thanks.

Drill mode....lowest setting ie: 1....the number settings are used in screw mode only...keep mine on one just in case it gets changed inadvertently

mark 1:38

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jul 25, 2018, 09:11 AM »
You are correct. I goofed up. Meant lowest setting on drill mode.  ::)
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jul 25, 2018, 09:53 AM »

Sweet, just freed up months of time!

Thanks

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Jul 25, 2018, 11:13 AM »
Thank you sir...and glad I asked because I would have "assumed" highest setting.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.