Author Topic: Is this a bargain, or are they wishing too hard?  (Read 1185 times)

Offline brkmsla

• IceShanty Rookie
Is this a bargain, or are they wishing too hard?
« on: Jul 24, 2018, 04:52 PM »
Not familiar with these poles but at the current price with shipping each pole is about $33. That's the price I would pay for new poles, and considering Chinese can be had at a fraction of the price is the premium worth for these? Just curious to see what others think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Used-Ice-Fishing-Diddle-Poles-8-Spring-Bobber-1-Rod-Reel/263815332841?hash=item3d6c9e83e9%3Ag%3AnzQAAOSwCMtadLkm&LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=spring+fish+pole&_sacat=0&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0%7C0

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Is this a bargain, or are they wishing too hard?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2018, 05:42 PM »
I'd say someone has grossly overvalued their item(s). Cheapie solid glass rods like that can be had for (certainly) less than 10 bucks new and the plastic "reels" (read line holders) are maybe $5 at best. So new combos would retail for maaaybe $120 and that would be a stretch IMO. The spinning reel is a sub-entry level South Bend that can be had new for probably $15, rod also looks to be solid glass, so $10. To buy this stuff new at retail, rods, reels plus the two "spare" reels would be like rods = $90, reels = $65 for a total NEW RETAIL value of $155.

Now... if you could get a real deal on these they would be great rods to attach to a bunch of tipdowns if you had a mind. But at 51% over new retail PLUS $33 S/H? Naaaah, definitely NOT worth the look. Again, that's my opinion, no disrespect intended or directed at anyone.

This is a little closer to reality: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-VINTAGE-ICE-FISHING-POLES-RODS-SCHOOLEY-REELS-TACKLE-LOT-TIP-UP-STRAINER/372371335696?hash=item56b30faa10%3Ag%3A2XwAAOSwo1pa1joH&_sacat=179947&_nkw=schooley+rod&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

If you're in or at least near WI it would pay to frequent some rummage sales. this kind of stuff can often be had for peanuts...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2018, 05:42 PM »
no way!!those are just old school schooley setups that I find at garage sales for 50 cents  to a  dollar..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2018, 07:25 PM »
no way!!those are just old school schooley setups that I find at garage sales for 50 cents  to a  dollar..

If bought new it's maybe $90 worth of rods and reels  I would say for sure not a good deal..

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2018, 05:23 AM »
you can get the Schooley combos on Amazon for $18 a piece new. I've seen them at flea markets and garage sales for $5 or so. Yeah, I think he's over valued his product a bit hoping someone who doesn't know better will buy them.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2018, 05:54 AM »
Fishing for a sucker!!  ;)2
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2018, 12:02 PM »
That’s going to be a HEAVY pass. Don’t buy.

Even $18 bucks on amazon is criminal. I wouldn’t pay that much for a schooley setup. You “should” be able to find them for around 10 bucks new locally. $33 a piece is insane. For that price, you could build your own custom rods. If you want to go that route, pm me and I can give some information/tips on how to do it. It’s very simple. With about $50 bucks worth of equipment, you can build a complete, fish-ready, rod for about $25 (the most expensive part is the the guides and they make rather afffordable, good quality guides).

Schooley’s are great rods though. They will catch any fish that bites. It seems, though, with the ever growing popularity of ice fishing, gear like this jumps in price so people can make a quick buck on ill-informed anglers.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2018, 01:54 PM »
Agree with all of the other comments.  The stuff is waaay overpriced.  You can buy bargain basement rod/reel combos for $33/each with real reels.  Schooleys are beginner outfits.  First season kind of gear.  Spend a little time researching what you really want to fish with.  There is a super nice little spinning reel on sale on Amazon right now (Tica SS500 Cetus) for $32.  Regularly $55.  See my previous post in the deals thread.  Buy one or two of these now and then pick up a couple of rods as I (and others) find and post them in the best deals thread.  Just my .02.  In the meantime, try to determine what kind of rods suit your fishing style and targeted fish species the best.

DN

PS.  I have a couple of old (really old) Schooleys I'd be happy to send you gratis if you pm me your address.  I will never use them again.  I've had them for 30 years probably.  If you just want a couple of extra lines in the water, they will do the job.  Just don't hook anything too big.  ;D

Here's an example of what's available for the same price if you just poke around a little bit.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011ODI96I?psc=1  This may not suit your fishing style, but it gives you an idea of what can be had for the same money.  This combo actually was selling for less than $20 for a good bit of May.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline brkmsla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2018, 05:24 PM »
Hey thanks guys for the replies. Good to know there is nothing special about those rods and reels. I have been considering splurging on my first UL quality rod and was thinking JT Panfish Snare 36 or a Yogi Rod if I ever get the courage to spend that kind of money on a ice fishing rod. Deal Ninja I would gladly take up your offer if I spent more time with tip ups, around me there are not many lakes that allow them. So they would be wasted in my possession.  :(

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2018, 07:44 PM »
you can get the Schooley combos on Amazon for $18 a piece new. I've seen them at flea markets and garage sales for $5 or so. Yeah, I think he's over valued his product a bit hoping someone who doesn't know better will buy them.

If you guys want schoollys let me know the local stores sell them for around $8.99 each plus 6% tax here in michigan once the season gets going..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.