The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: To report or not to report...  (Read 2693 times)

Offline squatch

• IceShanty Rookie
To report or not to report...
« on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:58 PM »
So, isn't the point of the reports section to share information and help out our fellow ice fishermen? What's with the snide remarks about the internet killing all of the best fishing spots? If you are reading the reports board obviously you are looking for info too.  ???

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Calm and Fish On!!!
Re: To report or not to report...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:07 PM »
So, isn't the point of the reports section to share information and help out our fellow ice fishermen? What's with the snide remarks about the internet killing all of the best fishing spots? If you are reading the reports board obviously you are looking for info too.  ???

I've always thought it was pretty funny when guys aren't willing to share information on this site, when that is the whole point of the website. Imagine going down to your local bait shop or sporting goods store and having the employees tell you that they can't give you any reports because it would "ruin the spots". What if the big board at Sportsman's just said, "Go find out for yourself!" haha all heck would break loose.
To jig or not to jig... That is the question.

Offline squatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:19 PM »
I know. I just think its funny that it is ok to post reports as long as it isn't your favorite water.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:21 PM »
So many lurkers here, I use the pm feature to give advice and such, you can see it and non members can’t.

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2017, 01:51 AM »
well there's a lot more to it than that-- a lack of quality bite opportunities across the state is one thing, but the hesitancy to report bite is a universal thing across all states. I remember a couple years ago while i was in school over in nodak, there was one pretty decent sized lake up north of Bismarck that I did the research on, then test fished with my first boat, a little 12 ft tinny with a trolling motor. No boat ramp. The walleye bite was fantastic. Next time out, I see another boat, third time out, kid you not, ten full size lake boats. The following month after that fishing pressure, there were literally no bites. I believe the lake was "fished out." It happens. Same issue here--I know of plenty of waters and locations in this state that could get over-fished fairly easily.

I for one try to point fellas in the right direction when I can, but not everyone is going to be that way. Spots are cherished. as a fisherman, we just have to do the research and get out and try our own spots. tell ya, if i hadn't done that, i wouldn't be successful on any of the lakes i've learned over the past couple years. for techniques and such, there's plenty of resources on youtube and the such. what i'm saying, if no one is going to help, then you have to buck up and learn it yourself. I also like the PM option from gills-only.

Offline tfdoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:08 AM »
I don't care about secret spots or bait...I just like to know if the lake I want to go fish at has enough safe ice before I drove 1-2 hours to get there  :)

Offline BK_Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:16 AM »
There’s plenty of knuckleheads on here, but there’s also plenty of guys willing to help you an way they can Squatch. Don’t let them get you down!  ;)

Personally, I don’t care who you are a beginner or a professional, EVERYBODY had to learn from someone. Now, I think it’s all about the way you approach it, guys that just post the minimum and only do it to look at the reports and contribute nothing to the forum aren’t going to receive a very warm reception.

If you provide an introduction and a well written post on what you’d like advice on or what you’d like to learn there are many here that are knowledgeable and willing to help.

Finally, I think it’s important to embrace as many newcomers to the sport as possible for the future!

The primary purpose of ice reports are  to keep anglers updated on the ice conditions and keep everyone safe. You can choose what you want to share as far as catch rates, location, etc. those are all up to your discretion.

Experience catches fish, the more the merrier in my opinion. If the sole reason guys are going out is to “catch big fish”....I feel they are largely missing out on the social aspects and the fellow anglers that truly make this a wonderful sport! It’s all about fun and doing something relaxing that you enjoy!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:25 AM »
I don't care about secret spots or bait...I just like to know if the lake I want to go fish at has enough safe ice before I drove 1-2 hours to get there  :)
.    Best to call a bait store in area and ask about ice conditions, especially first ice if it’s the only safe ice there will be a hundred guys there

Offline Hammer1Down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2017, 12:02 PM »
Experience catches fish, the more the merrier in my opinion. If the sole reason guys are going out is to “catch big fish”....I feel they are largely missing out on the social aspects and the fellow anglers that truly make this a wonderful sport! It’s all about fun and doing something relaxing that you enjoy!

I couldn't have said this better myself, I have far too many folks that I fish with that only to put for the "big" fish.  I like to drill a hole in the ice and enjoy good company, don't care if I catch anything.  Glad there are others out there like that

Offline Imamusd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2017, 10:52 PM »
When I was young we always went ice fishing because it was the easiest way to get to the Kokanee on Georgetown. Now that I’m older I just like getting out on different waters to catch different species of fish. I know what it’s like to rely on help from those with more experience than me so I will gladly help anyone that I have the knowledge to help.

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2017, 07:44 AM »
the reports page a great thing.the only info i want ice thickness and maybe how the road is getting in to some lakes.when i go to a lake and post on the reports page i post ice thickness,what i caught,lures and bait that i used.what i do not tell you is the spot on then lake that i fished (i may want fish it again.)fishing is fishing drill some holes find the fish.its like hunting. where is the challenge if the deer or elk are fenced in and you walk up and shoot it.where is the satisfaction in that or for that matter the sense of accomplishment.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2017, 02:10 PM »
A couple of years ago my uncle had a couple of great perch days early season on Holter and limited out.  Someone asked how the bite was and I figured it's a big body of water and a species that can handle a fairly large harvest so I posted how he had done.  The next weekend the parking lot at log gulch was full and rigs were parked all along the road for 200 plus yards.  They couldn't get near where they had been fishing and finally left and went and fished the river.  I don't know how many people are actually on here but it is plenty to blow a spot up enough to affect the quality of the fishing and experience.  I will always post ice and road conditions and give advice on how to target or find different species but will rarely post on a hot bite unless it's via PM and is someone I know. 

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2017, 03:51 PM »
A couple of years ago my uncle had a couple of great perch days early season on Holter and limited out.  Someone asked how the bite was and I figured it's a big body of water and a species that can handle a fairly large harvest so I posted how he had done.  The next weekend the parking lot at log gulch was full and rigs were parked all along the road for 200 plus yards.  They couldn't get near where they had been fishing and finally left and went and fished the river.  I don't know how many people are actually on here but it is plenty to blow a spot up enough to affect the quality of the fishing and experience.  I will always post ice and road conditions and give advice on how to target or find different species but will rarely post on a hot bite unless it's via PM and is someone I know.

Ya this

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2017, 06:17 PM »
holter is always crowded.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:50 PM »
I couldn't have said this better myself, I have far too many folks that I fish with that only to put for the "big" fish.  I like to drill a hole in the ice and enjoy good company, don't care if I catch anything.  Glad there are others out there like that
i to enjoy social aspects of fishing...but there is a type of fishing I enjoy even more and that's the solitude of fishing alone...quiet..hearing the birds...gazing at the mountains..the serene silence of winter..frickin so meditative..i bet I fish alone more than half the time..as far as sharing info..thats up to the individual.. if the body of water is big I usually say what I caught and ice conditions..but not where exactly..but if a small pond or river  slough? my lips are sealed...

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2017, 03:44 PM »
If there's a safety question like ice thickness or road access, I try to report if there's nothing current. I've had countless times when I was younger and dumber when I would "Spill the beans" to my buddies about a good hunting or fishing spot only to find them and their buddies, and their buddies told their buddies, and then I was looking for a good spot again! Those were "Buddies"! I try to never give specific information on a good spot. Generic and vague is good enough. Most places I have found were through my own hard work and time in the field, and not from someone else's information. Sometimes if asked politely I will PM some specific info. I never ask someone for specific information. It's bad etiquette. More times than not, that will get a more in depth conversation, because I showed enough respect to approach it in that way. Guard your secrets with your life! I have also seen many times that someone with knowledge would give faulty info to a pushy nimrod who failed to approach in a respectful way. Guys with many years under their belts will part with the really good information very grudgingly, because that information very rarely came cheap!

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2017, 04:17 PM »
An old fishing partner and I looked a long time for a GOOD spot, once we found one, he gets on here and tells everyone he’s catching fish by the 5 gal. Bucket... That next Saturday there were well over 100 additional people there, some from over 3 hrs away.... catch rate dropped way down, they left all kinds of trash on and off the ice to include some knucklehead taking a dump and leaving it on the ice...... same thing happened the next day after another local and myself spent 20-30 minutes picking up trash from the previous day....This is a great site, lots of guys help, including me when I can, but since then I never post what body of water or location. As someone said there are those who lurk, are not honorable sportsmen and don’t care about anyone but themselves. If I’m on fish and see others struggling, I’ve drilled holes, let them fish some of mine and have even given them some of the baits I’m using.... But I’ll never broadcast specific bodies of water or localities again....

Offline brkmsla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2017, 06:54 PM »
Allot of guys here share their spots without being elusive and secretive. How many times has it been that someone stated, at what depth they fished and even specific location on the lake. This year because of lack of ice some who have took their time, money and effort have went out and found that one or two lakes that have caped over with ice and were able to be the only people on the lake for a time being. I really cant blame them for posting their haul without naming the lake. At the same time these same people answer questions and give specific tips and techniques on other threads on this forum without hesitation.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:43 PM »
another thing to consider is some members of this site are catch n release and or selective harvest type dudes.....so why would they post specifics when they know that 6 lb bucket mouth they just released is going into the freezer of most others? my main reason for not posting specifics is just that.....don't get me wrong..i'll keep a 2 lb bucket here and there..i'll keep a 3 lb rainbow here and there...but any bass over 3 lbs..any trout over 5..go right back down the hole..don't judge me.. its just what i'm at peace with

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2017, 09:35 PM »
To me, part of the challenge of fishing is to learn a particular water body.  Someone telling you exactly where they are, what they are hitting, etc., would diminish the experience to me.  I like to figure things out on my own, albeit with that including internet searches.  Such is the trade off.

I do report on ice conditions, bait availability, etc.  Not on where and when I catch fish.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2017, 11:23 PM »
If you put in your time to find a special spot, why on earth would you let people know about it?  There aren't that many great spots, and that many big fish.  Why don't you give away your favorite elk spot?

Offline wills1235

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Wings, fins, hoofs. In that order.
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2017, 11:56 PM »
It's those damn out of staters than you can't share info with (said the guy from MN).

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2017, 05:45 AM »
If you put in your time to find a special spot, why on earth would you let people know about it?  There aren't that many great spots, and that many big fish.  Why don't you give away your favorite elk spot?
.     Or your mushroom spot !!  People would kill for that info !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.