Author Topic: How long to marinate medium rainbows?  (Read 1994 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
How long to marinate medium rainbows?
« on: Nov 24, 2017, 08:15 PM »
I have cut up two fat 15 inch rainbows and put them in a marinate of salt, brown sugar, cracked peppercorns, garlic salt, steak spices.  I have been stiring them around every couple of hours as they "stew".    My problem is I can't recall how long to marinate, I keep thinking over night but that may be a bit long. I keep them in a bowl in the fridge and yes, I did test the smoker since I hadn't used it for a couple of years.

Any suggestion would be welcomed.
WYIfish
Thread killer

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How long to marinate medium rainbows?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2017, 08:40 PM »
According to page 21 of the Big Chief Electric Smoker manual for "Easy Cure Brine" the times vary depending on thickness.
Brine chunks 1" thick, 8 to 12 hours or overnight. Brine fillets to 1/2" thick about 4 hours and small whole fish or very thin pieces about 2 to 4 hours."

This manual has a lot of very useful information:

Here is the link from Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/c9/c9733eee-bc06-4ad6-9d95-634e1d7c0e1c.pdf

Good Luck All :tipup:

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2017, 09:58 PM »
What is the approximate weight of the fish?  The volume of the water?  The type and amount of salt?  All will affect any hope of a sane answer.

I used the Luhr Jensen / Smokehouse easy cure brine for years but have dropped it in favor of less-salty brine.  Too easy to over salt with that one, IMO.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2017, 11:23 PM »
WYIfish, I got your PM and sent a reply.  Please let us know how it turns out!
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2017, 11:43 PM »
you will be able to tell...the fillets will turn opaque..

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2017, 12:40 AM »
I second Joe's reply, depends on the thickness. Sounds like you're using a dry brine. If they're thick then brine overnight. If they're thin then you would want less brine time.

Offline Bear Lake Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:47 PM »
I have been smoking fish for the last 60 years. I have found that using a brine that is so called Saturated Solution of 80 to 90 % is a good rule of thumb. A simple wsy to determine this so called saturated solution, is to add salt to your brine, and stir it in well. Plsce a raw egg into your brine, and if it floats, you have the right amount of salt.

In the Fall, Winter, and Spring, I smoke lots of Steelhead Rainbows tsken from a local stream off Lake Erie. Most fidh on the average run spprox. 4 thru 6 lbs. I chunk the fish, not filleting. If you are first starting out, learn how to make a basic fish brine, and once you find whst you like, stick with it.

I use an approx. 1 1/2 Gal brine consisting of 1/2 gallon  generic apple juice, 3 tablespoons  ground black pepper, an approx 16 oz box of uniodized table salt ( or Kosher Salt )  approx. 3/4 bag of Dark Brown Sugar, 1 cup regular sugar,  2  teaspoons crushed red pepper, and 1 gal tap water. This 1 1/2 gal brine will do well for any size fish. The most important things to remember is that if you place a sponge into a bucket of water, the sponge can only hold do much water, so as the fish, can only hold so much brine.
Fillets can be soaked in brine fo approx. 4-6 hours snd you sre set to go, while  large chunks or whole larger fish will  need more time, perhaps  overnite thru a second day.

Before you start, cold is the word for brine, and a good safe quality smoking job. I brine in a 5 gal plastic utility pail placed in a refrigerator during warm weather, and in cold winter weather, I sometimes leave outside covered, or in the garage if it is 40 degrees or below. * REMBER *  NEVER SCALE YOUR FISH, The skin holds your fish together

After the fish sre brined, take a knife, and run it down the fish piece with the scale pattern , not like the scaling durection. This will remove all brining slime. Quickly rine the fish pieces, don't soak them. I drain them in a collander for 10 minutes, pat dry, and into the cooker they go.

I make gourmet Smoked Trout , and it is all in the flavor, and finish. Use a vinyl glove and rub cooking oil on the skin only to prevent sticking on your racks. Most importantly, Approx two hours before my fish are done,  I  rub  Maple syrup on  the entire piece or whole fish. This step gives great color appearance, and that 30.00 per lb Cabelas Gift Box flavor!
* See Pic

Hope this help!

Bear Lake Bob

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:28 PM »
Great post Bob:)

Offline Bear Lake Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:28 PM »
 :tipup:

Thanks very much.

Another secret if I may. I vacuum seal my smoked fish, and they last for months refrigerated , and are also freezeable.

I love to take a smoked chunk,  then skin, and carefully debone it. The tail section from the dorsal to tail juncture is perhaps the easiest part for a beginer to debone. After you have deboned check or bones, then check again ,then again under good light using two forks ( you do not want to serve anyone a bone who isn't expecting one )
Flake the smoked pieces in a bowl, add perhaps a small onion,  a  1/4 teaspoon dill ,  a 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and then add mayo to blend to the desired consistency. Serve this spread on good crackers, and your family or guests will do cartwheels.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.